Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a two post lift, with a 18 amp (start up?) motor, 220 volt, I will be powering it with a generator, looks like I need a minimum 4K gen, not sure if it is 18 start up amp draw, I will get more info on it, is anyone familiar with this situation, please chime in
Thanks

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
From my research with wiring shop tools with dedicated circuits is:

Find out what the constant amp draw is(ex: 18 amps continuous), you install a breaker with the matching sized support wire for double that.
So you want at least a 40 amp circuit with 8/3 wire and matching plugs to support this.

I was told by a licensed electrician the electric motors will pull double the amps to get started then settle to the constant amp draw as advertised.

My experience is (January 2020), I have been putting together a 900 Sq/Ft shop on my property. I started with only a pole barn with a rock/sand ground, a 16 ft garage door falling out of its tracks, and a real crappy side entrance door with a jacked up door knob.

ZERO electricity!!!

Today its actually a nice place to work in now and actually zero stress will trying to work on my buggy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From my research with wiring shop tools with dedicated circuits is:

Find out what the constant amp draw is(ex: 18 amps continuous), you install a breaker with the matching sized support wire for double that.
So you want at least a 40 amp circuit with 8/3 wire and matching plugs to support this.

I was told by a licensed electrician the electric motors will pull double the amps to get started then settle to the constant amp draw as advertised.

My experience is (January 2020), I have been putting together a 900 Sq/Ft shop on my property. I started with only a pole barn with a rock/sand ground, a 16 ft garage door falling out of its tracks, and a real crappy side entrance door with a jacked up door knob.

ZERO electricity!!!

Today its actually a nice place to work in now and actually zero stress will trying to work on my buggy.
Thanks for sharing that, yeah I really need to clarify if 18 amps is the start up amps, if that is continuous amps then if like you say start up amps would be twice that then I would need like a 8k generator, the friend I am buying the lift from has another one just like it already set up, would it be possible to measure the amps when it is started up?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Thanks for sharing that, yeah I really need to clarify if 18 amps is the start up amps, if that is continuous amps then if like you say start up amps would be twice that then I would need like a 8k generator, the friend I am buying the lift from has another one just like it already set up, would it be possible to measure the amps when it is started up?
It's probably startup amps, get a picture of the tag on the motor and the rest can be figured out from there.
Full load amps on a 3/4 hp motor (the biggest I can see them using) should be around 10-11A on 120VAC or 5-6A on 240VAC.
That could be a 18A startup load on 120VAC, less on 240VAC.

Aaron Z

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's probably startup amps, get a picture of the tag on the motor and the rest can be figured out from there.
Full load amps on a 3/4 hp motor (the biggest I can see them using) should be around 10-11A on 120VAC or 5-6A on 240VAC.
That could be a 18A startup load on 120VAC, less on 240VAC.

Aaron Z
Thanks AAron, I will get a pic of the motor, yes this lift will be 240VAC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts