Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would there be anything wrong with taking a 10-15lb CO2 tank that you can buy at any air dealer and slapping a 40 dollar regulator on there? I have found regulators for around 40 bucks and could probably find a deal on an adjustable one? The powertank looks like nothing more than a gloss painted tank w/ a regulator on it? Am I missing anything?

Chase

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
No you are not missing anything. You can also pick up the handle and other accessories at a local fire protection store

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good deal...I think I will look into that tomorrow since we will be out of school. Thanks for the input. When I get it done, I will post some pics.

Thanks,

Chase

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Hell Ya

You are on the right track. We have been doing this for a while. If you can fit a 20lb tank it might save you some money. The local welding shops here in Memphis can swap out the 20lb tanks for about 14.00. They dont have the smaller ones and they dont refill only swap. Their are a few fire extinguisher places that can fill. I have a 5 lb bottle that I carry in the chassis and they gig me (the extinguisher place) 12.00 to refill it. But its only for emergencys. I have a 20 lb bottle in my trailer.

Dan

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Re: Hell Ya

Dan Dibble said:
If you can fit a 20lb tank it might save you some money. The local welding shops here in Memphis can swap out the 20lb tanks for about 14.00. They dont have the smaller ones and they dont refill only swap.
Thats pretty shitty. So you buy a tank and you get it traded in for some old dingy beat up one.

All the co2 places by me are more than happy to refill, I wonder why yours are not.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You want to make sure you get a high flow regulator!!!
If you dont you will freeze the reg. plus you wont be able to run air tools!
I sell them!
Plus I sell Nitrogen reg. Nitrogen is better on you tools and tires, plus it doesnt freeze as easy.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
i run both nitrogen and co2 in my chase truck. i prefer the co2 on the trail cause it stores more energy.

10-4 on getting the correct co2 regulator. anybody have the part # handy ?

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Re: Re: Hell Ya

Malltero said:

Thats pretty shitty. So you buy a tank and you get it traded in for some old dingy beat up one.

All the co2 places by me are more than happy to refill, I wonder why yours are not.
Im not shure where they fill em. I called the local welding shops and seems they all have one place in AK. service the co2. Swap out is quick and you get to pick from about 100 bottles (steel, al. differnt shapes). The fire extinguisher places will fill it but for twice as much and they will check the HYDRO. date. The weld shops dont care about the hydro. date and it is cheap and no waiting.

Dan

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Hell Ya

Dan Dibble said:

The weld shops dont care about the hydro. date and it is cheap and no waiting.
I get mine filled at an actual co2 distributor. They do everthing from huge tanks for beverage plants, to small little 5lb tanks. I guess I am just lucky then.

I end up paying 14 bucks for a 20lb fill. I give the guy 20 for it usually. He has waited for me past hours in the past and is really cool about not making you wait.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hell Ya

BRUISER said:

I pay $8-10 to refill my 20lb
depends on who is at the counter.
State wide it runs that much, I have called around. I dont mind really... I get the cheapest gas in the nation instead. :flipoff2:

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
dude its all you if you want to use a sucba tank as a compressed air sorce:eek: :eek:
but i have seen what happens when a neck is snapped off on one of those after it was dropped and we were lucky that we were off shore and there was not anything in the way.
i will stick with my cheep arse co2 setup that cost me 25bucks (i love ebay :D ) the co2 tank may goes some distance if it gets broke but not with the nasty velosity and power that a scuba tank will.

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
Bad Azz DODGE said:

That's really cool but HOLY FAWK could you have picked a more eyeball searing font colour and background when doing the tech articles?????!

Really, that was physically painfull and I am still half blind and seeing flashes from trying to read your write ups! Use normal fawking colours, dammit.

DAMN!:eek:

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
UZI 9mm said:

That's really cool but HOLY FAWK could you have picked a more eyeball searing font colour and background when doing the tech articles?????!

Really, that was physically painfull and I am still half blind and seeing flashes from trying to read your write ups! Use normal fawking colours, dammit.

DAMN!:eek:

:flipoff2:
Yeah I know it was my first website and I will be changing all my pages shortly...

AND all the prices listed on the site were in Canadian as well...

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
as far as mounting goes, should it always be mounted upright, or can you lay the bottle on it's side? maybe at a bit of an incline since iirc co2 is a liquid when it's in the bottle?

i'm trying to figure out a way to mount a 10# or 20# bottle in the back of my 2nd gen 4runner. there's not a whole lot in the back as far as solid mounting points go (except the floor).

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
jht3 said:
as far as mounting goes, should it always be mounted upright, or can you lay the bottle on it's side? maybe at a bit of an incline since iirc co2 is a liquid when it's in the bottle?

i'm trying to figure out a way to mount a 10# or 20# bottle in the back of my 2nd gen 4runner. there's not a whole lot in the back as far as solid mounting points go (except the floor).
Here ya go:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119318

1 - 20 of 36 Posts