Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a CJ7, its gonna b on 1 ton chevy axles, a TBI 350, TH-400 and on 44in TSLs and i was wondering what would be better a detroit locker or a powertrax, i would like to be able to drive on pavement, but more importantly i want strength, help me out here

·
Registered
200 Posts
you just gota be careful witht he detroit, a guy on a local message board just blew up a front D44 detroit with 37's and stock D44 shafts....

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
i have a detroit in my 14 bolt and it holds up fine.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
with a 14 bolt - either weld that sucker up or put a spool in it...

with a d60 front - id put the powertrax in it all day long... ive heard of WAY to many axle failures taking the detroit with them in D44's, D30's, D60's... and for the simple fact that it will only cost you $250, and when / if you decide to 'upgrade' you can sell it for $225 here... i wouldnt hesitate...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm probably gonna put chromoly shafts in both my axles, but i wanted to be able to drive on the road and i know its hard if not impossible with a locked front

·
Read Only
1,334 Posts
The blazer my buddy and I have built for the past 6 years has always had a powertrax in the front 60. He loves it, it has never had an issue and has had the crap beat out of it. The only thing he ever has to do is sometimes it doesnt lock up, he just taps his brake pedal and it grabs and he goes. He loves it. The 60 I am building for the front of my jeep I also am debating the detroit or the powertrax or may be even a truetrac. The detroit is the obvious strength choice but does put alot more strain on the shafts when turning on slick rock and such.

·
Registered
200 Posts
willdog_59 said:
i'm probably gonna put chromoly shafts in both my axles, but i wanted to be able to drive on the road and i know its hard if not impossible with a locked front
That's what lock out hubs are for. :smokin:

I'll be running a true track in my front 44 when I get around to regearing. It will give added traction without over stressing the shafts and u-joints, and it wont wear out like a conventional limited slip. Thats my $.02

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
I have used a powertrax and was happy with it. I used a Detroit a about 10 years ago in the front, it was a little harsh but the whole rig was harsh so it could have been compounded by several poor building issues. Personally if you have the money go selectable if not go cheaper.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
XJ_ranger said:
with a 14 bolt - either weld that sucker up or put a spool in it...

with a d60 front - id put the powertrax in it all day long... ive heard of WAY to many axle failures taking the detroit with them in D44's, D30's, D60's... and for the simple fact that it will only cost you $250, and when / if you decide to 'upgrade' you can sell it for $225 here... i wouldnt hesitate...

i ran a spool in my 44 rear and i love it, the only reason i like the detroit is because it disengages around turns so it is better on tires unlike the spool.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
HOLY WAAAA. delete 4 of your 5 posts man.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
i did, dont know what the hell was up with this computer

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
it will disengage if there is no torque applied to the rear.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I know guys that do.... and like I said before, they have lock out hubs, and simply disengage them when they are driving on the street.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
upj wheeler said:
I know guys that do.... and like I said before, they have lock out hubs, and simply disengage them when they are driving on the street.
EXACTLY:laughing:

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
willdog_59 said:
does anyone in here drive on road with a detroit in their front axle??
I have 31spl 9" on both ends with Detriots and I drive it to the trail at least once a week. Having the front even welded won't do anything if it isn't engaged.

My rear is noticable if you drive like a bat out of hell, otherwise you'll be fine. The only time I ever notice it is when I'm in a parking lot turning, cause it clicks, or turning left at a stop sign and gasing it, it locks up and my tire gives a little chirp.

Overall it's a very reliable locker and hassle free. My rig is pretty narrow so I already have a hard time turning in tight spots, and the detriot doesn't help that any. Like they said before, a detriot in the real would be awesome, but it's up to you what you want in the front. Unless you drive in 4lo on the hwy, you shouldn't have any trouble with it's on-road behavior. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
This is really a newb issue....

I have a 14b rear w/ detroit, wouldn't have it any other way. I have a front HP60 with a Lock-right, it's been great but I only went with it because my axles had matched gearing and I didn't want to reset gears on the detroit... otherwise I would always recommend loading Dana axles with detroits (I have some question about the 9" detroits, but that's another thread)

As for driving a jeep with a front locker, this discussion really belongs on JU... as long as the damn thing isn't spooled with the hubs locked in 4wd it'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts