Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
God forbid that someone asks a tech question (and a newbie, no less), but I have recently rebuilt a Powr-Lok for my rear Dana 44 in my "79" Scout ll and was given a lot of conflicting input from
rear end shops,Precision Gear,Reider Racing, Randy's R. & P., Four Wheel Parts Wholesalers,various sites on the internet, friends and some white bearded old guy on a mountian top.
The "mushroom" shapped spacers in the cross shaft.......is it needed or not. When I did my original rebuild there was no spacer in the center. so I rebuilt it the same way. It only lasted for about 5 years of abuse. Any input ( constructive or otherwise )
would be great.
Thanks in advance for the link to the B.B.:flipoff2:
Janos

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure we are talking about the same part. Pins about .75 long .25 dia. w/.375 or so head about .125 thick. two pieces held together by a rolled pin ?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It'll take a few days but I can get some.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Been working with PowerLoks for a few years. If they aren't thrust washers I can't think of anything else that fits your description that belongs in there. If you can dig up a pic I can tell you if they belong for sure, (or is it a PowerLok?) Sure its not a TracLok? Send Pics of the whole locker as well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My scanner is down so I can't send a pic. It is a power-loc. not the trash lock oops I mean track lock. It has 4 spider gears and a double cross shaft. the parts I am refering to go in a hole in the center of the two cross shafts. They have a larger dia. on each end which holds them on the cross shaft.( although the only way they could come out of the center hole if there was no larger end disc would be if an axle were removed. )

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Are you talking about the spacer block that's in the very center of the diff assembly?

Older tapered axles would mount one side in "tight" to the end of the housing and push against this block in the middle of the diff.

On the other side, the 'shaft goes in, is bolted in place, and then a big adjusting nut is used to adjust the rear axle bearing preload for *both* sides, thanks to this block in the center.

The Travelall rear '44 in my racer has an open diff with this spacer block in the middle..

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By your description of the application (to pre load the bearings) it sounds like that is the part in question. It seems to me that this would be unneeded in a nonadjusting scout axle. Thank you for explaining the use of this part. It was the first logical explanation.
Thank You
Janos:D

·
Registered
267 Posts
i have rebuilt a number of power locks and this method works great for a trail truck

split the 2 sides of the power lock

throw all the shit inside except the side gears out

drop the side gears into the case and case cap.

weld them to the case using a ton of juice

bolt the case back togather and reinstall

power locks suck unless they are welded,the first time water gets in the housing the clutches are junk so why depend on them

weld it and forget it, power locks make really strong lincoln lockers because they give you 360* area of solid thick steel to weld to as aposed to the cast weak open carriers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.