Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jason Head, Travis Roark, Wombat, and Myself(Team Badlands) practiced at the Roc in Columbus on Saturday. Thanks to Mark and Staff for all their hospitality and willingness to let us play. Thanks to the media and rick from 4x4review.com for coming out and promoting the sport.

The place has two large obstacles with multiple climbs on each. One big vertical on each obstacle and several off cambers. They have stacked large rocks around everything to increase the difficulty but they may need to be moved or sprayed to prevent them from rolling around. Theres a tunnel going slightly under one obstacle that you could set part of the course in.

The verticals are both doable. I had my tires about three feet from the top of the big one but my rear arb is on the fritz. Had a good time and I can't wait to see what Lil Rich throws at us. It could get nasty.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the wall:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
another at the top:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here are some more. You can see how the rocks hurt coming into an obstacle:

Attachments

·
Registered
672 Posts
everybpdy please keep in ind we still have abour 3-4 weeks worth of clean up work to do. More spraying, more boulders,and adding dirt and sand. alot of transitions have to be tweaked to make this workable.

·
Vendor
2,021 Posts
This place has some major potential. Everyone I talked to yesterday was very helpfull and stoked about the first comp. I had fun, but found out I needed some stickier tires. I agree on some of the boulders, and I know this kind of stuff will be taken care of before its all said and done. Thanks again for the invite, see ya'll next month.

Travis

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
Things will definately be different from the way everything is laid out now. Just wait for what I have in store

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
A great time was had by all. Mark and the land owner have done an awsome job. I have a bunch of picts but they are to large to load here. Thanks again Mark

Geoff and Kerry

·
Registered
672 Posts
The floating cone was us cleaning up while you guys played around.
Ben was up on top tossing them down to me is all i can think of!
Pretty crazy bonus line if you ask me.

Any how it was good to see everybody show up and help us out.
We made the 6pm news and it had a nice 1 minute blurb about the sport and the site.

Rusty, myself and the land owner all got interviwed. They also showed Jason beding his cage, rusty playing around and Danny entering a mock obstacle.

It was pretty cool!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would really like a copy of that if you can or put me in contact with who I should talk to, Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Marc, thanks for the invite. Other than the heat I had fun.

The space at that place is amazing. There will be tons of room for both competitor & spectator parking. Access via tow rigs is much better than Jellico. No full throttle uphill sled pulls in the rain.

As mentioned while I was there, the transition walls around the obstacles need some work (I know you already mentioned you'll be working on that over the next 5 weeks). I would like to see the boulders concreted in so that way the course is consistent. I know I moved a few around with my rig attempting your TV sample course. I am also concerned about the 2 big climbs being so narrow. I think the top guys will make the climbs without too much trouble, but the lesser experienced teams, or teams that break something during the climb could be in for a hard landing.

For those who think the telephone poles aren't stable & that they might be able to move them with a rig you're wrong. I tried to push one with my A pilar when I got wedged sidehilling, and it ended up bending my 0.134" wall 1-5/8" tube & the dang pole didn't budge an inch. :flipoff2:

Good luck with the next 5 weeks. We'll see you then end of July for WEROCK.

Head

·
Registered
672 Posts
wait till you see what we are building now! we will be putting dirt around teh boulders to lock them in

1 - 20 of 22 Posts