Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got this axle and we're not sure what it is.We can't find any BOM listing that shows older Spicer axles, so we're in a pickle. It is definately out of some Ford, since that's that was out there and it is driver side drop. The axle is pre '78 since it is LP, but has some differences. It is open knuckle and disk brake, so it can't be too old. The thing has HUGE inner Cs, so I thought it could be a Dana 70, but it says 60 on it. The Ujoints look like 1350 driveline u joints, they have outside clips and the diameter is the same as a 1350. It has external lockouts, but 19 spline outer axles. It has a hydro steering mount as well. The calipers are dual piston and look exactly like the ones on my '78 HP Ford Dana 60. Anyone have any clues as to what this thing is out of? I'm thinking 75-77 since it's open knuckle.

Anyone running one of these with good luck? I'm worried about the 19 spline outers. It will probably end up on a half tube Samurai with a 3.8 Buick/TH350/ not sure on t-case yet.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
974 Posts
The BOM that we pulled off of the axle tube is: 603786 2

Im just curious as to what it came out of.

Paul

·
Registered
191 Posts
I found this on drivetrainsuper store.......not sure about accuracy

Make FORD
Model F250 Crew Cab Pickup
Number of axle splines: 30 FULL

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
didnt show up on patooyee's list.

the external hubs are weak of course and those ujoints with the external clips are different. other than that it looks like a fairly beefy axle.

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
pre 77.5 F-250 crew cab dana 60

·
Mr. Personality
10,288 Posts
I remember a guy that found a frontend that was really similar... except i think it was out of a dodge.. mid 70's. It was a 60 center and open knuckles , discs , but its u-joints were smaller than 60's , closer to a dana 44's 297x actually , and the same size 19 spline stubs...

Edit.. forgot to add , i think he ended up not using it... it is kind of a boat anchor unless you got it for free... which im willin to bet ya did :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
just a thought but did 77 f250s come with factory hydro steering

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
majeeper said:
just a thought but did 77 f250s come with factory hydro steering
Some late 70s Ford Trucks came with a hydro assist type steering. It was very prone to leaking and not very reliable. I know it came on the "high boys" and others. The axle does have a baller hydro steering mount though. The HD D44 we picked up with this one has factory hydro too. It's LP as well with the small u joints.

Does anyone know if this axle has the same spindles and knuckles as a '78 '79 Ford D60? I don't want to tear it apart to find out if someone on here knows.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
The outer knuckles are funky. They use D44 spindles. Then the knuckles hole is notched to let the big joint pass through. You could ream out the hole to make a 60 spindle fit, or have the back side of your 60 spindle turned down to fit the hole. I just sold one of these a few weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
IIRC, that hydro assist setup came into play in 75'

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
The spindles and the hubs and axles are junk. The steering kunckles would need to be bored out to 4.505 to use D60 splindles. Those tube froks are killer, the bottom is massive. steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts