Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

In the last Saturday in March I will be doing a SAS on my 1985 ranger. She's finally fully mine, BAR legal motor swap and everything, title in my name so I am ready.

I am going to run bronco 2 springs all of the way around. They are 58" long, and I got some arched for 3" lift, brand new. I am going to run Revolvers on all four springs.

38 TSL, 5.43 gears rear, 5.38 Front Detroit Front and Rear. I got some 9036 Shocks for the conversion too. Right Now I am thinking of fabbing the high steer setup to pass between the frame and the spring for the conversion.

I am going to put the front springs as under the frame as possible for max flex, but I would like some advice here. I have 2 questions:

Does anyone make pre fab hangers or shackle mounts to save me fab time on this part of the swap? Where do I get them, and how much?

Second question is how far apart to mount the spring eyes on the frame? I was thinking of putting the mounting (Hangers) the same distance apart as the eyes are with the spring carrying no weight, but I was not sure and since this will get welded, I need to do it right the first time.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated...

Adam

·
Registered
407 Posts
Spring and shackle hangers are available as weld or bolt on parts for various applications. I've seen a few people use CJ stuff, for instance. If you mean pre setup front hangers and such, I'm sure there are, but I don't know where to find them for a Ranger.

Your second question seems to be reffering to the distance between the front hanger and shackle hanger. The best way I can think of is to make it so your shackle angle is how you want it. I started with no weight and made my shackle vertical. Tack weld, then lift the rig by the springs and check the shackle angle. Adjust as needed. The minimum shackle length can be calculated by taking the distance between the mounts and subtracting it from the length of the spring measured eye-to-eye along the length of the main leaf. Anything less and the shackle can lock out against the frame. It's a good idea to tack weld everything and flex it out before final welding, just in case you run into trouble with angles or binding.

If you allready have the shackles you want to use, that is a static and you can calculate the length between the hangers by simply adding the spring length and the shackle length. All of this just gets you in the ballpark, you have to fiddle a little to get it dialed in just how you want it.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
try foothill offroad.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Adam McLaughlin said:

Does anyone make pre fab hangers or shackle mounts to save me fab time on this part of the swap? Where do I get them, and how much?
Congrats on getting so far on your rig. There are a lot of spring hangers out there, but I'm not sure how your frame is shaped or how wide your springs are. A lot of people have used stock CJ hangers with success. Check out Toyota stuff, they do a lot of solid axle swaps and longer springs. Here are some links to vendors who sell spring hangers.

Parts Mike
All-Pro Off-Road
Budbuilt
Front Range Off-Road
Mountain Off Road

Second question is how far apart to mount the spring eyes on the frame? I was thinking of putting the mounting (Hangers) the same distance apart as the eyes are with the spring carrying no weight, but I was not sure and since this will get welded, I need to do it right the first time.
I am not following you here. How far apart to mount the spring hangers from what? Are you talking about how tall your spring hanger should be or how wide you should mount the springs? I am confused.
:confused:

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Adam McLaughlin said:
Let me rephrase your question to see if I understand it:

Given that the spring is XX inches long, how far do I mount the shackle hanger from the fixed spring hanger at it's other end, so that I get an acceptable shackle angle?

My answer:
  • Figure out where the rear axle needs to be to be slightly forward of the wheel opening's center. This is because the axle will move toward the rear the better part of an inch as the springs compress.
  • TACK the spring hanger in place for the fixed (forward) end of the spring, given your best guess as to where the axle should be. EXPECT to be wrong and have to move it.
  • Hold your shackle up in there with the spring now roughly in place, and TACK the shackle hanger into place at the rear of the spring. Again, expect to be wrong and have to move it. And don't forget that the spring will lengthen as it breaks in and sags slightly, increasing your shackle andgle maybe 5 or even ten degrees?

Just realize that by the time someone sits down and measures every possible dimension and start doing calculations on the exact arc the axle will travel as the suspension moves... he could have tacked everything in place, dropped the rig on the springs and checked everything out... jacked it back up, moved everything as needed, and been done with it. ;)

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Re: Re: pre Fab Shackle & Spring Hangers

TNToy said:

[*]Figure out where the rear axle needs to be to be slightly forward of the wheel opening's center. This is because the axle will move toward the rear the better part of an inch as the springs compress.
You are assuming that he is running with the shackles in the rear Evan, do we know yet that is what he is going to do? (I made the same assumption but didn't even realize it until I decided to call you on it :flipoff2: )

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm........

Thanks guys. You are all giving me some great ideas. I think the last weekend in March is going to be awesome.

I am going to have to invest some dough into flapwheels, and grinder disks to get this together.

From what I have read, I think I will go with the shackles in the front. I like how they push down on what I am crawling, and the revolvers up there will not destroy the front driveshaft.

Now, all for measurements and testings......

Adam

1 - 8 of 8 Posts