Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone run that $699 pre-fabbed cage in their XJ. Ive seen it in the back of a few magazines and wondered if their was much to it, or if it bolted or welded in somehow. Could you cut the roof off an XJ and run that cage ok? Any help would be greatly appreciated because this seems to be the cheaper option for me considering my current status as a full-time student. I'll see if i cant find that ad when i get out of class and post this up with a name unless someone knows what im talking about. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I have that cage, its from T&J Performance. I am putting it in right now. I've had it since Dec but have been too lazy to put it in until this week. So far so good. It comes in pieces and is a weld in kit. So you'll need to pull your seats and find a way to protect the headliner/carpet from the welding slag. I have both A & D pillars in so far. I still have to put in the B & C pillars along with the horizontal spreader bars. The kit comes notched but you need to make adjustments as it doesn't fit, all the pieces are long so you will have to cut them to length and renotch them.

It is definately much cheaper then having a cage built by a shop and the way the A pillar works around the dash would have been a bitch to do myself. As far as running it without the top, I would advise against it. The tubing used is only 1.75" mild steel. I wouldn't use it by itself unless it was DOM or better yet Cromolly. I think that the combo of the hardtop and the tubing together will be fine, I would keep the top and least the main portion. I would cut off more then the back half with this cage. IMO

I am planning on adding a dash bar and some more pieces to it to triangulate it some more but I am happy with it so far. They have some pics of it on their web site.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the T&J one was the one i was thinking about. I will def check out the other ones to get the best deal on the cage made out of the best material. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
E_in_TN said:
check out essentially off road http://www.eoronline.com/store/xjspeed.shtml they are also a vendor here and can get a dom cage for less than that. I have yet to install mine but got the Jeepspeed cage kit made from 1.75 dom for about what the one in the back of the mags goes for.
Carefull on assuming that if you got the cage they show in the last pict there, that its "jeepspeed" legal. Or well let m erephrase that, that its SCORE legal. Since alot of the JS races are ran under SCORE you have to adhear to the score rules.

On issue I see is that the rear kicker braces from the top of the B to the rear floor area are not to spec "Rear down braces and diagonal braces must angle no less than 30 degrees from vertical." they look at be maybe 10deg? also the attachment to the floor or through it to the unirails.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Being in TN I don't know a thing about Jeepspeed. I have no clue if the cage would be legal by various sanctioning bodies. I just thought that for a advertised pice of $605 it is more bang for your buck in protection and unibody strengtheing, being that it is constructed from dom not hrew tubing at what i believe to be a very resonable price. The issues you bring up are valid, maybe they should changet the name of the kit?

Hope you all find cages to fit your needs

eric

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah i can see it from both perspectives but i have no interest in desert racing my XJ. It does seem a little steep from the top of the B to the floor, but like E_in_TN said, its sounds like a helluva deal for that thickness of DOM in a prefabbed cage. The pictures of it arent that great so its hard to tell if it goes through the body to the "unirails" or not. Still sound like a great deal to me. Strongly considering that cage. Anyone else have any experience with this "JeepSpeed" cage?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really wanna cut the top off my XJ and run a Bikini top. I realize the insane reinforcing i would have to do to the unibody but i figured one of these cages would be stout enough to run topless. Thats why i was considering the Jeepspeed cage. 1.75" DOM should theoretically be strong enough to do that IMO. If not i could always see what Chris Durham would charge or if he would have time to fab me up a cage similar to two of the guys in my clubs running a TJ and CJ. I would just rather not spend aver a grand on a jeep i bought four years ago for $2000. But i guess when it comes to saving my butt in a rollover, you cant overbulid it enough.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do like the swracecars.com 10 point cage, but its made out of smaller diameter mild steel, not desirable for an XJ with no top.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well unless the other are using chromoly, They are using mild steel also. Dom and Hrew are both mild steel. I didnt know there was a desired size for topless XJ's. If 1/8" make that match difference in looks then I would go with the other too.

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts