Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my diffs set right now and the guy setting them is a friend of friend that sets up tons of ARB's and he had a problem setting mine up. He said that the heads of the bolts that hold the Ring gear to the ARB are to thick to clear something in the 3-rd member. Anyway, he had to order some specail bolts woth thin heads that cost $75. a set-(that's his cost). I don't know who or where he got them from because I havn't spoke with him in full detail on it.

The question is if anyone had heard of anything like this before? 4-wheel parts sold me the Gears and I have a account with ARB and they don't know about it.:confused: :mad:

ANy info:eek:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I know on my fj80 rear(9.5" same as other cruisers) 4:88's and ARB needed a bit of grinding to something or another( I surely don't know how to set up gears), but it was very minimal(I was told) no new bolts needed, these were Yukon gears IIRC. On my other 3 ARB's diffs there was no grinding or other bolts needed(with OEM gears). My bet is with the 4 Wheel Parts......everything they touch is always fucked up somehow......i hate those guys:mad:

John H

shaka 55 said:
I am getting my diffs set right now and the guy setting them is a friend of friend that sets up tons of ARB's and he had a problem setting mine up. He said that the heads of the bolts that hold the Ring gear to the ARB are to thick to clear something in the 3-rd member. Anyway, he had to order some specail bolts woth thin heads that cost $75. a set-(that's his cost). I don't know who or where he got them from because I havn't spoke with him in full detail on it.

The question is if anyone had heard of anything like this before? 4-wheel parts sold me the Gears and I have a account with ARB and they don't know about it.:confused: :mad:

ANy info:eek:

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YA! I hear ya on the 4-wheel parts thang:mad:

I'm getting 4.88's and ARB's as well. It's sounding like maybe you had the same problem but the gear set is just enough different between manufactures that Precision required special bolts and the Yukons require a little grinding. The other thing that is wierd is I used to live by Randy's Ring and Pinion up in Everett WA and I told those guys that I was planning on doing this install myself and they didn't even mention the problem:confused: You would would think if this is a common problem I would have read about it somewhere. I'm 4x4 junky. It seems kind of strange. Maybe it's the 4.88's and ARB's

Anyone out there running 4.88's and ARB's have this problem:confused:

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Only problem I have ever seen with 4:88s and 5:29s and semi floaters is having to grind teeth on the ring gear in order to get the cross shaft into the ARB.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On my FZJ80 I had the same problem when I was getting the 4.88s and the ARBs installed. Apparently because I didn’t order the installation kit that Precision Gear sells. The person who did the install for me solved it just by grinding very little, or at least that is what I was told.

Alejandro P.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts