• screw it-4-link and tube the chassis!

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well It's about that time when I'm able to afford to finally get off my ass and raise her up. Give me suggestions as to what I should do. I am turning the knuckles on the front after I decide what springs I'm going to run. I was thinking 7 leaf 44044's up front and 6 leaf 44044's in the rear. I'll be running 38.5 swampers.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Use the stock springs. They are already there, cheap if you need to replace them and a lot less work(mounts already there etc.) and the flex well!

-Brett

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
MY SIGNATURE SAYS IT ALL...

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I voted for stockers and a shackle reversal, which is what I'm about 1/3 of the way done with...

I'm using 7-leaf waggy's in the rear though, but stock height. Fronts are stock 40's. My WB will be 101-ish.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I voted for coils. why put all that work into it and pull it apart later like I did. Skip the middle part and tell yourself you're saving money.
The 80 coil conversion is going way too smoothly on my rig. I'm expecting some major unforseen problem any minute now.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ballard said:
I voted for coils. why put all that work into it and pull it apart later like I did. Skip the middle part and tell yourself you're saving money.
The 80 coil conversion is going way too smoothly on my rig. I'm expecting some major unforseen problem any minute now.
e-mail me some pics or post em here-how much is it going to cost?

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
I am still not convinced that a SR is worth the effort..
It is super easy without one. And you will not need a long slip front DS..

·
Registered
254 Posts
Blucruz said:

e-mail me some pics or post em here-how much is it going to cost?
I working on a write up and taking lots of pics. I might post a teaser pic on IH8MUD later today if things go well this afternoon.

SO far the cost is pretty good. I found a boneyard in KY with a bent frame 80 that sold me the control arms, the upper buckets and the shock towers for $150 shipped. They want $150 each for the control arms in some places. I have my old 80 springs that look to give me about 6-7" of lift over stock. I had a set of mopar spring perches that I bolted a pair of strut tops to that I had laying around the shop. Those are the lower perches. A PBB member is shipping me the control arm brackets from the axle for shipping cost. I'm hoping to get the frame control arm bracket from A&A mfg. It looks like about $15-25 from them. I have all the parts for the pan hard bar, but I will need brackets for that as well.
Total less shocks is going to be well under $250 for the front. I'm debating four link or SOA on the rear now that the 4" lift springs are too short.
Articulation is not going to be the same as many of the wild-ass four and five link set ups here, but I suspect it will be at least as good as my old springs and the ride will be a lot better.

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Jason M said:
I am still not convinced that a SR is worth the effort..
It is super easy without one. And you will not need a long slip front DS..
Come awn up here and ride in my cruiser. You'll be convinced. :D

I hit the hot springs in a little under 12 minutes last weekend. :evil: I had to wait another 14 minutes for the next fastest rig to show up. :D

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
GloNDark said:

Come awn up here and ride in my cruiser. You'll be convinced. :D

I hit the hot springs in a little under 12 minutes last weekend. :evil: I had to wait another 14 minutes for the next fastest rig to show up. :D
But why?
What makes the SR that much better?
My cruiser rides very well right now..

ANd just becasue you are a nut does not mean it is a better system

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Jason M said:
But why?
What makes the SR that much better?
My cruiser rides very well right now..
ANd just becasue you are a nut does not mean it is a better system
:flipoff2:
For me, difference is much better ride. So much better I couldn't even believe it. Same shocks, springs and tires. The shackles are a little longer and a slightly better angle than stock which I give has an effect on ride as well. As far as flex goes? I think it flexes the same now as it did before, which I had hoped for anyway. :D

·
Registered
941 Posts
A major advantage for me in having it SR was not breaking anymore springs. I often would hit an obstacle or something would catch the front mounted shackle and bend/or break the rear of the spring (just the top leaf) right where the spring pack retainer was. Went through three in two years and got tired of it.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Tankota said:
A major advantage for me in having it SR was not breaking anymore springs. I often would hit an obstacle or something would catch the front mounted shackle and bend/or break the rear of the spring (just the top leaf) right where the spring pack retainer was. Went through three in two years and got tired of it.
This was the only reason that I ever thought of doing a SR..

And the answer to that problem is larger tires ;)

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
GloNDark said:

That's the answer to all cruiser related stuff isn't? :D
That or beer ;)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Been gone for a couple days & I see most people say keep the stock springs-trouble with that is I don't have all the leafs and the stockers have been under the presure of old rancho add-a-leafs. I took one pack apart about a year ago and the springs went inverted when I put the weight back down on them without the add-a-leafs. I have a set of 6 leaf 44044's with 2 1/2" lift that I was keeping for my runner if I ever lowered it :barf: but that's highly unlikely.
Wouldn't I get more flex from longer springs? That's why I was thinkin' 44044's would be the set up for good all around wheelin.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You should be able to find a set of stock leafs without any trouble. Got a set sittin in my garage that have just recently been cleaned and painted. All you gotta do is fly to the Windy and stick 'em in your carry on baggage for the trip back.

They were for my SOA, then I went to 4" leafs SUA and now those are sitting next to the old ones cause my junk is sitting on 80 coils. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts