Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm selling a vehical to someone from out of state who is going to fly in, rent a U-Haul, and flat tow it back. I have built a tow bar and the engine and transmission are removed. My questions are:

1) Do all U-Hauls have the same trailer wireing harness? If so where can I get one to wire up the vehical.

2)Do I just splice in the trailer harness to the vehical (brake line wire from harness spliced into towed vehical brake wire)?

Thanks

JYS

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
All Uhaul truck will have the same wiring - it will be 4 female connectors just stuck on the back of the truck - 2 for taillights, 2 for turn and brakes. They will either be in a little box on the bumper, or a pair on each side of the bumper. Uhaul trailers have the opposite type connectors and they are set up so you can convert them to about anything.

What you will need to hook up to them is regualr male pin type connectors with taillight, turn and brakes, you really only need 3 wires to hook up as the truck has 2 taillight plugs. I would just get a set of $25.00 magnetic tow light from Uhaul - they will hook right up as they come with the same piece of crap wiring set up. But if your going to wire the truck permentley for flat towing just wire it for a 4 flat male plug - and make some 6-10" pig tails to plug into the uhaul harness.

If you need pictures I think I can dig something up.

Also the Uhaul will have a 2" ball. And they tow right off the bumper, so don't be alarmed - with there 14 foot truck I have towed my 5500Lb Scout on there car trailer over 1500 miles, no problem. I have also towed fullsize trucks with no problem, flat towed, car dollies, and car trailer.

**I worked for Uhaul during college for 3 years. So I am not just some Uhaul groupie :flipoff2:**

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Add some toe-in to the frt wheels. 1/8-1/4" toe in will help the truck track and not want to whip or follow the tar strips.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Just my opinion, but I think taking the motor and tranny out to flat tow is a little excessive.. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Flat towing is scary :eek:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys

Bigger Valves said:
Just my opinion, but I think taking the motor and tranny out to flat tow is a little excessive.. :flipoff2:
Its a 69 caddilac hearse, and the guy just wants it for the glass and the crome, which is fine with me cause I just wanted it for the 472 and turbo 400:flipoff2:

JYS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts