Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a used, low milage engine for my Heep and I'm planning on putting away for a rainy day. Got a great deal I couldn't pass up but I'm not ready to swap it in just yet. What should I do to it to get it ready for storage besides block off all the openings? Should I drain the oil or leave it in? Remove the plugs? The engine will be stored inside but will be subject to changing temperatures.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Leave the oil in it. Go to a boat or snowmobile shop and get a can of fogging oil. Remove the spark plugs and spray this fogging oil in the cylinders. Turn the crank and spray more. This stuff coats parts and stays put. You want to coat as much as possible, that's why I say turn the crank and spray more. Some people loosen up the rocker arms to relieve tension on the valve springs during storage. I usually just give the crank a few turns once a month so that the same springs aren't always in compression for the whole storage period.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
when storing my boat (winter) an snowmobile (summer) i get them running and warmed up, then start spraying WD-40 down the carb (boat takes 2 cans at once) until it stalls the engine. in the spring (boat) or fall (sled) they always start up fine...a little smokey and rough at first, but they smooth out after a few seconds. while i have the WD-40 out, i spray a nice coating over the entire engine, ignition, and electrical connections. been doing this for years without any problems.

for just an engine, i'd buy a can of WD-40, spray it down the all the plug holes, rotate it once or twice, and do it again. make sure you put spark plugs back in it. then hose down the outside to prevent surface rusting.

matt

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Chief yelling alot said:
I seen people poor oil down the intake when it running till it stalls
Never knew I was poor til Chief told me. I use marvel mystery oil for storage. Down the intake and fill up the plug holes. Just dont forget to spin her a few times w/o plugs before you crank her and change oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts