Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2019 Trek Xcaliber 9 with Bontrager Kovee 28-hole Tubeless Ready, rims. Tubes have presta valves. Both tires are flat. Some of my riding is on Deer trails and through woods on overgrown 2 tracks. Lots of various wild rose bushes and trees and bushes with stickers. On my old bike I had schrader valves with quite a bit of slime and it kept the leaks in check. On this bike with presta the dealer told me that there was sealant in my tubes from the factory but I don't believe it. In any case if there is it isn't enough.
My instinct is to ream out the hole for the stem and run a tube with schrader valve and fill it with slime. I have 2 concerns, this rim tapers to a V shape rather than a flat plane as the rims on my older bike. I have a bit of concern about weakening the rim from enlarging the hole. The other concern is that I guess tubeless tires are now a thing and by enlarging the hole that I can never go tubeless.

What are the advantages of going to tubeless tires? Could I run slime in them? Any issues with enlarging the hole and running a schrader valve tube. Tire size is 20x2.20 fwiw.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
I really have no answers to your questions, but....why not run tire liners? Should be easier than modifying what you’ve got and just as heavy as a bunch of slime.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Mavic Crossmax. I drilled the presta's out to a snug schrader, deburred.

Currently running Serfas Sheriff's 26x2.1.

Decent tube (not Vietnam), 2 ounces of the green slime. and a liberal dusting of baby powder inside the tire. 32-40 psi depending on the ride.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
What are the advantages of going to tubeless tires? Could I run slime in them? Any issues with enlarging the hole and running a schrader valve tube.

Tubeless tires let you run lower tire pressures and it does make a huge difference in traction.

Slime? Yes, you need to run Slime or a sSlime like additive when going tubeless and it'll need to be replaced/refreshed every 6 mos. to a year.

Yes, you can enlarge the hole and go to a Schrader, but why?

·
Premium Member
7,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tubeless tires let you run lower tire pressures and it does make a huge difference in traction.

Slime? Yes, you need to run Slime or a sSlime like additive when going tubeless and it'll need to be replaced/refreshed every 6 mos. to a year.

Yes, you can enlarge the hole and go to a Schrader, but why?
I would enlarge the hole so I could run a tube with a schrader valve. If running tubless I would still prefer to run a schrader if I could. They are just easier to fill up and I don't need to carry adapters. I also would not have to break the bead to add slime. I get that presta are somewhat lighter but in my world that weight doesn't matter.

Increased traction would be a big deal for me, I put a rear rack on the bike with a bag full of too much shit shifting weight back. I do sometimes loose traction when climbing steep hills with loose dirt.

Can I go schrader and tubless?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Tubeless cost more, are harder to repair on the trail and you still have to carry a tube or sealant or both.

Tube less expensive, I can change a tube and be peddling again in 3 minutes with no tools other than a pump.
Lower tire pressure is great for downhillers I guess?
The only real benefit from a tubeless tire imo is that it is lighter, very important when cross country racing, trail riding not so much.
Rim brakes And 26" wheels ftw.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Tubeless cost more, are harder to repair on the trail and you still have to carry a tube or sealant or both.

Tube less expensive, I can change a tube and be peddling again in 3 minutes with no tools other than a pump.
Lower tire pressure is great for downhillers I guess?
The only real benefit from a tubeless tire imo is that it is lighter, very important when cross country racing, trail riding not so much.
Rim brakes And 26" wheels ftw.:rolleyes:

Going to carry a tube and pump either way. BUT and that's a big BUT, less flats with lower pressure and no pinched tube flats. Haven't had a flat since going to tubeless and I'm a clydesdale at 230lbs.

The traction difference is huge, especially cornering at speed.

Ride quality is better too.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
No pinch flats here 32 psi and baby powder. I do get goat head flats once in a while, Those fuckers almost always require the leatherman to get to pointy part out. 215 to 218.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I want less rolling resistance, most desert riding requires the mastering of the 2 wheel drift in corners. So low profile knobs and as much air pressure as possible. Decomposed Granite doesn't give a shit about traction.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Since you have tubeless ready wheels and I assume tires, I would go tubeless and never look back. I use stans, but there are other sealants. I rode a little over 1000 miles last year, only had 2 flats, 1 puncture at Big Bear in a rock garden, and one pinch flat jumping a concrete gap and coming up a bit short on the rear.
I run 20 psi front and 25 rear. It's hot and dry here, so I end up adding every few months or if I see the tire starting to lose pressure overnight.
Lots of cactus around the trails here, SOMO, Hawes, Gold Canyon, etc and I almost never carry a tube.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Many quality Presta tubes have removable valve cores. Continental for instance. There are injectors available to fill the tubeless fluid without breaking the bead. If you want Shraeder for convenience of filling with a cmpressor, just get a screw on adapter. I went to tubeless and probably will only use if I puncture and the goop doesn't seal properly.

·
Registered
Scout/XJ/Toy all sold
2,205 Posts
converted my previous bike with schraeder holes in the wheels using these stems. They're popular on the forums: these + some gorilla tape did the job, plus some Stans
Black anodized aluminum valve

i'd be hesitant to drill out the rim, its likely fine, but what if it weakens it in that spot then it takes a good hit on a ledge? I run presta, but just keep a schrader adapter on one of the stems. lets me top off using the compressor at home

new bike is tubeless and I'll never look back. on average I'd have had 1-2 flats already this year. Had about 8 last year, combination of pinch flats and pointy objects. Yes I carry a tube & pump, but that's for peace of mind. Walking out a couple miles sucks, BTDT once :(

·
Mall Rated
6,254 Posts
Going tubeless would be the way to go. So much easier (once you get the hang of doing it) changing out a tire....under 5 minutes for me now. Self-sealing in many instances (particularly with towns and such), as long as a quality sealant is installed. Lower pressures with better traction. Lighter (even after adding sealant but losing the tube).

Just carry a spare tube with you if your get a tire damage that exceeds a bacon strip. Just in case.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
The best place for a tube is tied up under your seat where it belongs in case of a emergency :laughing:. Tubeless is the way to go and your rims should be ready to go with some Bontrager rim strips. A few oz. of orange seal and you should be good.

I've pulled more than 20 thorns and wood chunks from tubeless tires already, put in fresh sealant and rode till the tire was trashed. Outside of a pretty big hole you almost never need a tube. Heck even the plugs works well.

You can do Schraders tubeless, they're sold by Joe's valves. It the exact thing as a normal tubeless valve just a bit bigger. I ran them in my DH wheels for easier fill ups with wire bead 30mm rims. I've had debris take out prestas riding DH and the Schrader seems to be a bit stronger also. Regardless if your gonna run schraders you need to drill the rim.

·
Premium Member
7,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The best place for a tube is tied up under your seat where it belongs in case of a emergency :laughing:. Tubeless is the way to go and your rims should be ready to go with some Bontrager rim strips. A few oz. of orange seal and you should be good.

I've pulled more than 20 thorns and wood chunks from tubeless tires already, put in fresh sealant and rode till the tire was trashed. Outside of a pretty big hole you almost never need a tube. Heck even the plugs works well.

You can do Schraders tubeless, they're sold by Joe's valves. It the exact thing as a normal tubeless valve just a bit bigger. I ran them in my DH wheels for easier fill ups with wire bead 30mm rims. I've had debris take out prestas riding DH and the Schrader seems to be a bit stronger also. Regardless if your gonna run schraders you need to drill the rim.

Dam I wished I saw your post a few days ago.

I was running out of time and needed to get the bike back on the road. Others recommended gorilla tape but I didn't have any at home. Went to local trek shop and bought their sealant, valves, and tape. That tape sucked.and I was very unhappy with the way it stuck to the rim and itself. Tire made scary noises as the bead seated. I bought enough stuff to do both tires but only did the front. Will get gorilla tape to do the rear. Considering redoing the front with gorilla tape as I have little confidence in the trek branded tape but think that would be a mess to clean the rim properly

Went to Joes site and they have this slick presta to schrader adapter. I think I am going to order a pair. I don't have to drill my rim and get the advantages of schradar. Valve Converter | Joe's No-Flats

If I am on a trip somewhere I want to be able to get back on the road with easy to find stuff. Will carry old presta tube on bike in case of bad flat.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Dam I wished I saw your post a few days ago.

I was running out of time and needed to get the bike back on the road. Others recommended gorilla tape but I didn't have any at home. Went to local trek shop and bought their sealant, valves, and tape. That tape sucked.and I was very unhappy with the way it stuck to the rim and itself. Tire made scary noises as the bead seated. I bought enough stuff to do both tires but only did the front. Will get gorilla tape to do the rear. Considering redoing the front with gorilla tape as I have little confidence in the trek branded tape but think that would be a mess to clean the rim properly

Went to Joes site and they have this slick presta to schrader adapter. I think I am going to order a pair. I don't have to drill my rim and get the advantages of schradar. Valve Converter | Joe's No-Flats

If I am on a trip somewhere I want to be able to get back on the road with easy to find stuff. Will carry old presta tube on bike in case of bad flat.
Gorilla tape is great till you need to retape a wheel and want to punch a baby in the face. The tape sometimes leaves a ton of residue which is a total PITA to remove. You will literally sit there picking it off and cleaning the rim. I use gorilla tape on my DH wheels cause if I break a spoke it wont puncture it like say Stan's tape. BTW with gorilla tape the tire is even harder to seat since it's so thick compared to tubeless tape.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Since you have tubeless ready wheels and I assume tires, I would go tubeless and never look back. I use stans, but there are other sealants. I rode a little over 1000 miles last year, only had 2 flats, 1 puncture at Big Bear in a rock garden, and one pinch flat jumping a concrete gap and coming up a bit short on the rear.
I run 20 psi front and 25 rear. It's hot and dry here, so I end up adding every few months or if I see the tire starting to lose pressure overnight.
Lots of cactus around the trails here, SOMO, Hawes, Gold Canyon, etc and I almost never carry a tube.
from one Pivot owner to another- damn nice bike. :smokin:

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts