Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some front disc brake rotors for a 76 Fj40 and wondered if anyone had purchased any lately and where you got them.
Will 60 series rotors fit as well?

Any suggestions?

bennett

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
The last ones I got(same part #for 40 as 60/2 rotors) were $30 each I think, Auto Specialties brand/box , inside were Brembo rotors(good)

John

·
Registered
319 Posts
rotors

Rotors for a 1976 FJ40 are not be the same as an FJ60. 76-78 FJ40's use different rotors than 79-83 FJ40's and FJ60's,

Dave

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Re: rotors

Beanz2 said:
Rotors for a 1976 FJ40 are not be the same as an FJ60. 76-78 FJ40's use different rotors than 79-83 FJ40's and FJ60's,

Dave
Right you are......sorry I was half asleep(and did a half ass job)

I was just gonna say.....I can't find 76-79 listed in the Autospecialties aplication book. Then found the other book...

front rotor
9/75-7/80 fj40/55 part JBR-335
8/80+ fj40/60 part JBR-336

Do you know why(or what) they are different?

they show the same caliper same pads, I kinda recall going thru this when putting my front axle together, maybe it;s the way the rotor mounts to the hub body?

John H

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
lol, i thought they were the same also. but they are not, well sorta. the fj60 rotors mount on the lugs, but besides this fact, they are dimensionally the same as fj40 rotors. the only downside, i had to machine spacers for the holes, because lug studs are bigger than the mounting bolts on a 40.

look at the size of these holes:

so if you can machine little spacers, you can go with either the 40 or the 60, because it works, trust me (i already installed the calipers without incident).

Hope this helps ya!

(oh and i paid 25 a peice for mine...ACME Auto in CT, i think. Cost me 67 total for a guy to buy them and ship them to me, still less than the 69 a peice that checker/cragen/shucks wanted!)

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
YEAH! thats what it was, I knew I had to go back and swap the rotors I 1st got....it was the lugs.

I get all my brake crap(and bearings) from the local brake and clutch shop, nice guys, if you buy your crap there they will turn the rotors for free.

Also FWIW I have been very pleased that when I order CR(Chicago Rawhide) wheel bearings for my Cruisers I open the box to find Koyo bearing inside :) and only 1/3-1/4 the cost as the same fuckin thing from Toyota!

John H

Mr McGee said:
lol, i thought they were the same also. but they are not, well sorta. the fj60 rotors mount on the lugs, but besides this fact, they are dimensionally the same as fj40 rotors. the only downside, i had to machine spacers for the holes, because lug studs are bigger than the mounting bolts on a 40.

look at the size of these holes:

so if you can machine little spacers, you can go with either the 40 or the 60, because it works, trust me (i already installed the calipers without incident).

Hope this helps ya!

(oh and i paid 25 a peice for mine...ACME Auto in CT, i think. Cost me 67 total for a guy to buy them and ship them to me, still less than the 69 a peice that checker/cragen/shucks wanted!)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Re: Re: rotors

Landpimp said:

Right you are......sorry I was half asleep(and did a half ass job)

Do you know why(or what) they are different?

John H
John,

I had a brain fart too :) It was the same 76-80 (not 76-78 like I said), the changes took place in the 1981 model year (9/80 on). The difference is like you said, the way it mounts on the hub. Here's a pic of the different rotors; 76-80 on the bottom, 81-90 on the top:

The older rotor mounts with 6 bolts to the hub, the newer rotor mounts with 2 bolts and the wheel lugs are interference fit to the rotors.

Dave

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Re: Re: Re: rotors

Beanz2 said:

John,

I had a brain fart too :) It was the same 76-80 (not 76-78 like I said), the changes took place in the 1981 model year (9/80 on). The difference is like you said, the way it mounts on the hub. Here's a pic of the different rotors; 76-80 on the bottom, 81-90 on the top:

The older rotor mounts with 6 bolts to the hub, the newer rotor mounts with 2 bolts and the wheel lugs are interference fit to the rotors.

Dave
but, with spacers in the holes, they will fit on a 40 no problem tho ;)

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So where is a good place to get them??

Called Autozone and they said $85:each eek:

Got to be a better source than that? What does NAPA cost?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
bennett said:
So where is a good place to get them??

Called Autozone and they said $85:each eek:

Got to be a better source than that? What does NAPA cost?
Henderson wheel in tire on 3rd West and 17th South in SLC, there might be one in the Utah Valley as well. I can;t remember what I've been paying for them there but it has to be cheaper then AutoHell...I mean AutoZone...:D

Ken, while your out gathering up parts, find me a FJ60 Drivers side inner axle...:D <ost places should have it in stock...:D :p

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kurt,

we have a Henderson tire and wheel on 3rd north in Orem,.. do have a to be "somebody" to buy and get any decent pricing?
Thought they were wholesale only?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Hmmm.. I didn't really think of that... I think that they will sell anything to anyone if you have cash, but without an account set-up, they might not give you as good as a deal but it should be better than AZ...how much does Napa or Checker want for em'?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Oh yeah, I, just remembering, we used to get alot of our brake stuff from Page Brake in SLC... not sure if there in in Utah Valley or if the will sale to the public but it might be worth a try.:D

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
bennett said:
I checked your link and it showed $86.10:eek: :eek:

http://www.autopartsgiant.com
double check it and confirm that ... I'll order tonight if I'm wrong.
76Fj FJ40

thanks

Bennett
I checked

for the 76-80 they are 70.10(they have a $86 as well) for the 80+ they are 26.13(for the value max?)

BTW good parts link, thanks!

John H

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Henderson Wheel in Boise, Idaho will sell to the public. I think I may have wrote a check. $52 and some change for two FJ60 rotors with 5% tax. We actually have another place that is cheaper. Auto Parts N Stuff. I think they were like $48 a pair there. The last set I bought at Auto Parts N Stuff were made in Japan.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
bennett said:
I checked your link and it showed $86.10:eek: :eek:

http://www.autopartsgiant.com
double check it and confirm that ... I'll order tonight if I'm wrong.
76Fj FJ40

thanks

Bennett
sorry Bennett,
for some reason I thought you were looking for late model rotors :( I guess they are $70 ea. that sucks considering its the same rotors w/ different bolt patters. maybe try & source som spacers or drill & tap to use larger bolts. you couldld also look into getting minitruck IFS inner/outer hubs to increase your track by 1.5" & then you could get the $17 rotors from autoparts giant :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts