Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
David Freiburger said:
Today is a day we’ve all dreaded. With the exception of Motor Trend, Hot Rod, and Four Wheeler, TEN Publishing will cease the print products of its magazine brands. These titles will continue as web sites and social media accounts, and the editors may keep their jobs to continue with that content. As a lifelong fan of print who made his career as a magazine editor, this is a devastating heartbreak of a day—but not a surprise. 19 magazines will stop being printed. I am impressed at the offers that Discovery has made to the remaining magazine editors, as this closure of print was not a decision made by Discovery.
Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
29,421 Posts
wow, bummer.

although I haven't had a print subscription in a while. I'll fill out another one for crawl shortly, maybe do another 4wheeler, but many years ago they drifted from my interests or I drifted from them.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I stopped my subscriptions in 2014 ish.

I grew tired of seeing the same shit over and over in magazines. I'd rather go out and experience it. Being on the trail you actually see peoples vehicles and if something new or unique you can go see it and BS with the owner/fabricator and ask them how it works.

I will buy a mag or two here and there to read on the shitter though.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Crawl has sucked for years now.

·
Premium Member
29,421 Posts
I'm not a fan. Four Wheeler sucks so I guess I'll subscribe to crawl in an attempt to keep a decent mag afloat.
ultimate adventure is the best thing about 4wheeler, but I feel like they don't do a great job on the coverage even with having it available in short clips to view online.

top truck challenge was dope as fuck, and between the two big events i'm saddened they weren't able to keep the thing afloat.

yeah, I know they still exist, but there was a bunch of potential there. discovery killing off 'truck night' also highlights the difficulties faced by the industry overall when it comes to sales/advert $$'s

·
Premium Member
29,421 Posts
Crawl has sucked for years now.
the magazine is at least still quality in terms of print and the content is still better than 4wheeler

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
As an example, I can see hundreds of pics and videos online the same day for Ultimate Adventure. Or, I can wait four months for an "official" write up and 20 pics. Not hard to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Print advertisement has dead for a decade, perhaps longer. And with advertisement dead, the business model no longer sustains the costs, since subscriber revenue is insufficient.

TV weakened Print, but Internet killed it.

Forums are next. Look at how little content is generated here.

·
Oh Jesus Tits....
2,669 Posts
have had my events covered by Four Wheeler several times....glad it still lives on...have subscribed since I was a kid in the early 80s....didn't keep them all though, but they do make great reading on the shitter without risking the phone going kerploooop.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
the magazine is at least still quality in terms of print and the content is still better than 4wheeler
I can’t argue with that.

That being said, I canceled my subscription years ago once I got tired of the new sweeping changes of the mag at that time. Funny thing is that I still have friends that make the cover and other photo spots.

·
Wet Trail Wheeler
1,404 Posts
I'm saddened by the loss of the experience of sitting down to a cup of coffee or cold beer depending on the time of day and going over some tech or drooling over someone's cool build. Sitting in a cafe with a tablet just isn't the same.
Having breakfast with the daily newpaper is long gone too. I eat my breakfast in front of the laptop but you mothfockles don't give me the same warm feelings as the sunday funnies.:(:flipoff2:

·
Registered
263 Posts
@harryjohnson will rejoice over the many trees saved. :flipoff2:
My hate for printed documents goes much deeper than saving a tree.

We deal with a lot of paperwork at my job and I have been slowly trying to move as much of it as possible to electronic. Not to save a tree, but because printers are the biggest piece of shit that my team has to deal with in the IT world.

Also, every time I find myself having to look something up in a printed document/book/manual, I find myself wishing I could just hit ctrl-f and search keywords.

I'm not surprised by print going away at all. There's a little bit of nostalgia there from reading Petersons's and four wheeler when I was younger, but any smart media company has moved all their stuff to the web or TV. I pay the monthly subscription to motortrend just to watch dirt every day episodes.

·
16,230 Posts
Well...it has definitely taken a huge down turn, but I will say that it is not quite dead yet.

People seem to value things in print more. When I wrote for CRAWL, people would constantly BEG me to try to get their rigs into the magazine. Now that I write for MJ....people could care less if I put a picture of their rig online in any of those articles. There is just something more valuable about having something tangible.

It is also dependent on location. People from the east coast or the south would always be impressed that I was with a magazine...and treated me like I actually mattered. People anywhere on the west coast could care less.

Then again...after a decade of writing for the magazine (The ONLY one with a dedicated land-use column BTW), no one fawkin noticed I was gone. LOL!

1 - 20 of 103 Posts