Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
I haven't bought a magazine personally in over a decade though a retired friend gives me all his gun and Mil History mags when he has read them and I enjoy reading them at lunch. My office is littered with them!

BUT, there is nothing in them I can't live without or find in depth on line. Used to be you needed specialize periodicals or books to learn about niche info. Now there is a website that has that same content unless it is really obscure like Swedish 16th century leather wrapped artillery... but I just googled that and came back with 6 pages of results! :laughing:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I used to love to sit and read magazines, but eventually half the pages were filled with adds for shit no one buys. Then the content started to turn into bro-dozers and trailer queens. I havent bought a magazine in at least 5 years

·
Premium Member
22,231 Posts
My hate for printed documents goes much deeper than saving a tree.

We deal with a lot of paperwork at my job and I have been slowly trying to move as much of it as possible to electronic. Not to save a tree, but because printers are the biggest piece of shit that my team has to deal with in the IT world.
:flipoff2:

·
Registered
38,236 Posts
We deal with a lot of paperwork at my job and I have been slowly trying to move as much of it as possible to electronic. Not to save a tree, but because printers are the biggest piece of shit that my team has to deal with in the IT world.
This. And fax machines. DIE!

Also, every time I find myself having to look something up in a printed document/book/manual, I find myself wishing I could just hit ctrl-f and search keywords.
Also this. I remember learning to program Windows in the 90's. I had a five volume reference collection that I had to sit on my lap while writing code. It fucking sucked!

·
Registered
278 Posts
When most print is 90% advertisement and 10% real content...what is the point? Online is largely the same but at least there are things like adblock and most of the content is "free".

·
Premium Member
13,758 Posts
Crawl has sucked for years now.
Werd. As much of a fucktarded douchebag as Tim was/is that mag was killer while he operated it. It lost its soul when the pnwjeep crew took over.

As for the question at hand I'd say I'm surprised it took this long. Most of the public is happy to go online for things instead of holding tangible items in their hands. I have a cousin that's a higher up for national dragster, I'll have to ask him how things are going on that end but I bet they're fine since most of their content is older reader based.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
ultimate adventure is the best thing about 4wheeler, but I feel like they don't do a great job on the coverage even with having it available in short clips to view online.

top truck challenge was dope as fuck, and between the two big events i'm saddened they weren't able to keep the thing afloat.

yeah, I know they still exist, but there was a bunch of potential there. discovery killing off 'truck night' also highlights the difficulties faced by the industry overall when it comes to sales/advert $$'s
UA is/was a 4 Wheel and Offroad event. Not Four Wheeler.

·
Newb
3,117 Posts

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
I have to admit, I haven't picked up a fourwheeler magazine in at least a decade. Losing magazines isn't much of a loss, IMO.

However, the decline of the forums sucks. To be replaced by facebook is terrible. Facebook is a terrible organization of information, you only see what is chosen by a unknown algorithm. There is zero ability to search. It's like the information is only good for 24hrs, and then it fades into oblivion.

·
E. Spengler
3,825 Posts
I have to admit, I haven't picked up a fourwheeler magazine in at least a decade. Losing magazines isn't much of a loss, IMO.

However, the decline of the forums sucks. To be replaced by facebook is terrible. Facebook is a terrible organization of information, you only see what is chosen by a unknown algorithm. There is zero ability to search. It's like the information is only good for 24hrs, and then it fades into oblivion.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Not surprised in the least. You go to the grocery store, they only have a few anymore. I was just talking to the delivery guy here the other day. He said he brings in 12 boxes of new and takes out 11 of old. Just not selling. I received the newest Crawl mag yesterday. Took about 10 mins and I was done with it. No real content anymore. Hell I found myself wishing the pictures were better. The ones of the rigs are basically over shots. Nothing up close at details or even under the hood.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a sub to four wheeler & 4wheel & offroad 02-05 kept seeing the same shit and very little that applied to my level so I dropped them. Forums had more relatable tech.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
4Low failed and got picked up by new owners who are failing. They broke a commitment to me so I assumed that’s SOP for them. Some Ads in that magazine are potato pics.

Drivingline only does Blyler articles. Do they print or is it online only?

Haven’t seen a crawl in years.

Love the podcast The talent tank

I wouldn’t get a print mag any more. Just don’t even think about it.

21 - 40 of 103 Posts