Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
They did it to themselves. I enjoyed reading about Frieburger's junk in 4WOR in the 90's and I met him and a couple others at a 4xfun fest (remember those?). I enjoyed reading about the Turtle Expedition and other trip report kinda stuff like that in 4Wheeler. I also used to enjoy looked for awesome trail possibilities in the Gazeteer.

It was very easy to surpass the interest level the mags held when sites like this one arrived. Same for car stuff and anything else in a magazine.

But keep in mind that the magazines ALWAYS existed to sell advertisements, not to entertain the masses. Whatever it took to get more ad buys is what they did. Same for TV, and pretty much 90% of the internet now.

·
Premium Member
11,147 Posts
Whenever I fly, I always buy the current issue of Popular Mechanics (or Pop Science, if I like the content better) and a paperback book. I hate using electronic devices on a plane. There's something I really like about turning everything off, putting it away, not worrying about cables/headphones/charging/etc and just holding a print copy.

That's about it though, no subscriptions for me currently.

edit: I also read books at home almost every night, as my wind-down routine...recliner with a glass of wine and whatever book I've got at the moment. My mom & dad are the same way and we often trade stuff back and forth, and my mom picks up stuff from the library weekly. I have a paperwhite Kindle which is pretty nice, and I tried using that for a while, but still prefer the simplicity of a printed book.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Well...it has definitely taken a huge down turn, but I will say that it is not quite dead yet.

People seem to value things in print more.
Correct. If there is a technical book or something I place a value on the content for now and later, I absolutely want it in print.

Magazine, yes, they suck. I still like a new Gun magazine though because they usually have some new toys in them. 4x4 Mags are basically what everyone else says. Same shit, different day. I'm so sick of seeing Jeeps and Jeeps and Jeeps wearing a different dress. I WANT to see something new.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Does this mean those boxes of 1980s mags I have stored in the attic might be worth something someday?

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
ultimate adventure is the best thing about 4wheeler, but I feel like they don't do a great job on the coverage even with having it available in short clips to view online.

top truck challenge was dope as fuck, and between the two big events i'm saddened they weren't able to keep the thing afloat.

yeah, I know they still exist, but there was a bunch of potential there. discovery killing off 'truck night' also highlights the difficulties faced by the industry overall when it comes to sales/advert $$'s
I'm disappointed that it was very "hush hush". I understand they don't want more people joining the group on the adventure, that's ok, but would have been nice to meet them, see the rigs, etc. Kind of pointless to have sponsors if you do it all in hiding.

As far as the magazines, the writing is on the wall, just like with newspapers. I haven't subscribed to magazines in a good 15 years other than a trade newsletter/magazine that has to do with logging.

·
E. Spengler
3,825 Posts
Does this mean those boxes of 1980s mags I have stored in the attic might be worth something someday?
I hope not. I just trashed a cubic meter of Hot VWs and VW Trends going back to the 80s. Well...most of them.

Side note- 90s bikinis were funny.

·
Premium Member
16,677 Posts
4Low failed and got picked up by new owners who are failing. They broke a commitment to me so I assumed that’s SOP for them. Some Ads in that magazine are potato pics.

:confused: I like 4Low with Big Rich runnning it. Guess I don't know what commitment they had with you but Big Rich doesn't screw around with his business's. We've done a few deals for him and he's very specific about when and where, etc.

Anyways I tried a JP and 4wheeler a few months ago and the ads and tech article ads lasted about 30 seconds.

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
My old neighbor worked at GM high-tec when they folded up shop a few years ago. He has stared an online type mag and is doing well with it. Seems like they could have moved into something similar rather than just kill it off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Fawk. :( I know I'm in the minority, but it really bums me out... Similar to the forum format, it's not that I don't use or accept other formats of media, they just aren't my personal preference. Been getting 4WOR for at least 20 years, it's basically what got me into wheeling. Figured this was going to come eventually, but was hoping that publication made it longer.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
But, but, but . . . what happens when a massive solar flare wipes our digital storage clean . . . ?
or a completely different format? I know we are still using 8 tracks, VHS, cassette, reel to reel, CD, betamax still to this day in every home.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Sucks for those that will lose jobs but like any business, they gotta adapt or die. I had a Classic Trucks subscription my father-in-law bought for me, looks like those will quit cluttering up my kitchen table now. I let my Car Craft sub lapse years ago, can only read the same LS and SBC shit over and over before it gets too boring to bother paying for.

·
Premium Member
13,298 Posts
I have to admit, I haven't picked up a fourwheeler magazine in at least a decade. Losing magazines isn't much of a loss, IMO.

However, the decline of the forums sucks. To be replaced by facebook is terrible. Facebook is a terrible organization of information, you only see what is chosen by a unknown algorithm. There is zero ability to search. It's like the information is only good for 24hrs, and then it fades into oblivion.
Yes x1000.

Pic1- pile of tube
Pic2- sweetest most original looking chassis you've ever seen
Pic3- wheeling it

4 days later I wanna look that up and maybe ask some questions.... have no clue who it was/where I saw it

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Yes x1000.

Pic1- pile of tube
Pic2- sweetest most original looking chassis you've ever seen
Pic3- wheeling it

4 days later I wanna look that up and maybe ask some questions.... have no clue who it was/where I saw it
No worries 45acp..... it'll show back up in exactly one year, when the memory alert warns everyone.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have to admit, I haven't picked up a fourwheeler magazine in at least a decade. Losing magazines isn't much of a loss, IMO.

However, the decline of the forums sucks. To be replaced by facebook is terrible. Facebook is a terrible organization of information, you only see what is chosen by a unknown algorithm. There is zero ability to search. It's like the information is only good for 24hrs, and then it fades into oblivion.
So much this! Facebook is awful for tech!

41 - 60 of 103 Posts