Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I subscribe to four wheeler, toyota owners mag, and Peterson 4wheel and off road. I fucking LOVE getting a new mag in the mail. It's like a mini Christmas for me. I have a stack of them by the toilet in each bathroom....

This is a sad day indeed.

Is freiberger a member here?

15,447 Posts
I filled out some stupid survey last year and they let me subscribe to a magazine for under 2 bucks for a years subscription. It was Hot Motorcycle or some thing like that. I got about 3 issues, which I barely looked at and they sent a notice that they were no longer going to print it and I would get something else , which I never did. So no surprise here.

This should mean no more bogus Publishers Clearinghouse give aways either. Darn! Roll over, Ed McMahon.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I'm definitely in the minority here. I'm 35 and can BARELY send email, let alone remember 30 passwords to different sites to log into to watch videos or read articles.

I literally still burn and buy CDs to listen to in my truck. I fucking hate technology. By the time I think I have a grasp on what's new, it's already outdated.
I'm typing this out on my Note 4 phone. Pretty sure they are on like 12 now.....

No facebook, myspace, instagram, etc for me.

Get the fuck off my lawn

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Yes x1000.

Pic1- pile of tube
Pic2- sweetest most original looking chassis you've ever seen
Pic3- wheeling it

4 days later I wanna look that up and maybe ask some questions.... have no clue who it was/where I saw it
I've come across stuff on the Facebooks and want to show someone like 5 mins later and can't find it. It's frustrating!

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
I'm definitely in the minority here. I'm 35 and can BARELY send email, let alone remember 30 passwords to different sites to log into to watch videos or read articles.

I literally still burn and buy CDs to listen to in my truck. I fucking hate technology. By the time I think I have a grasp on what's new, it's already outdated.
I'm typing this out on my Note 4 phone. Pretty sure they are on like 12 now.....

Get the fuck off my lawn
My Dad was trying to find an answer on a dash light on a 2003 Ski Doo they have.
My sister gave them some tablet this summer and somehow they expect that I know what to push on the thing for it to work. They have a laptop that barely works and I sent them a much newer one that I retired. But they don't want to use that since they want to "save it" until the old laptop fully shits the bed.

While on the phone the other week they got into a silent treatment to each over the tablet. My Mom was about ready to chuck the thing out the door claiming it doesn't work, it's too hard, etc. :laughing:

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Yes x1000.

Pic1- pile of tube
Pic2- sweetest most original looking chassis you've ever seen
Pic3- wheeling it

4 days later I wanna look that up and maybe ask some questions.... have no clue who it was/where I saw it
Just hitting refresh wipes the news feed completely and starts over. The algorithm is designed to show you something new, to keep you engaged. This works even inside a group. They don't want to show it to you again, because you are a 13 year old girl with ADD, who will flip back to tictok if facebook shows you the same thing twice.
We'd burn the syrup factory down if gcc just showed random threads with no specific hyperlinks. Yet, people choose to put their builds on facebook instead for the 150 likes they'll get.

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,320 Posts
Just hitting refresh wipes the news feed completely and starts over. The algorithm is designed to show you something new, to keep you engaged. This works even inside a group. They don't want to show it to you again, because you are a 13 year old girl with ADD, who will flip back to tictok if facebook shows you the same thing twice.
We'd burn the syrup factory down if gcc just showed random threads with no specific hyperlinks. Yet, people choose to put their builds on facebook instead for the 150 likes they'll get.

It's all about that instant gratification. Why spend the effort to see how many replies of people wanting to literally lick my asshole from my badass build thread, when I got a fancy app on a fancy phone that will buzz non-stop letting me know how many asshole licks I could be getting in real-time.

The other part about the instant gratification, in my opinion, is that places like this forum only attract like-minded individuals, for the most part. We're all pretty diverse, but with the similar enjoyment of 4-wheeling (and guns in OSR and tits and ass in GCC and the occasional tech thread in Gen4x4). So when we post a build, it is only seen by the audience that actually cares about it, and since everyone here is exposed to it, some people are meh about your 37" tires because they've already been there, done that, seen it, and moved on, while others are like "woah way cool I want to run 37s!", so your reactions are fairly mixed, but also somewhat limited.

Now on the other hand, with social media, you're sharing your badass new 37" tires with a whole group of people who might not otherwise give a shit about tires or off-roading, but the simple fact that they're exposed to it, see it in real-time, and maybe think it's kinda neat enough to take a second of their time to hit the like button, and now you've got a ton of "likes" that you won't otherwise get on a forum, all while being alerted to it as soon as it happens. Instant gratification. Dopamine goes through the roof, and you feel the desire to keep doing it, so that's what you do. And forums and print magazines and anything else that isn't socially-linked in real-time fall off into obscurity.

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,320 Posts

Get the fuck off my lawn

I'm only a few years older, and this is me, almost. I do use social media, but I still burn CDs to play in my truck. I generally enjoy and prefer less technology.

I finally got a smart phone a few years ago, and only got it for work reasons. I hooked up my "smart tv" to the internet just a few weeks ago so we could watch our free month of netflix, that has now expired.

My family got tablets, and ask me how to use them, and I have no clue.

I've come across stuff on the Facebooks and want to show someone like 5 mins later and can't find it. It's frustrating!

That is the worst. I'll find an article I want to read on the FB, close my phone and go take a dump hoping to read it on the shitter, open up the app, and it's gone, and I have to spend 20 minutes searching manually, which sucks and usually finds everything *but* what I'm searching for, or I have to scroll down forever until I stumble across it.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Bummed about Petersons, that's basically the mag that turned me on to real wheelin when I was a kid. I still remember seeing the issue with the bright orange tube frame jeep (in like 98 or 99, when NO ONE was building buggies) that and the four wheeler with the sniper on the cover.

What's lame is my Petersons subscription ran out a while back and I just happened to pick up a mag off the shelf last weekend. Which BTW, is it just me or was there a ton of og's missing from this year's UA? Tim hardy? The guy with the jeep buggy Sam?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Now on the other hand, with social media, you're sharing your badass new 37" tires with a whole group of people who might not otherwise give a shit about tires or off-roading, but the simple fact that they're exposed to it, see it in real-time, and maybe think it's kinda neat enough to take a second of their time to hit the like button, and now you've got a ton of "likes" that you won't otherwise get on a forum, all while being alerted to it as soon as it happens. Instant gratification. Dopamine goes through the roof, and you feel the desire to keep doing it, so that's what you do. And forums and print magazines and anything else that isn't socially-linked in real-time fall off into obscurity.
I've noticed that a lot of people, at least on the gram, tend to just like everything that scrolls past the screen. Doesn't really matter what it is. I tend to only like the things that stand out when I see them.

Forums may not be what they once were and maybe thats for the best anyways. I feel if you just want to troll or are an idiot your going to seek knowledge from facebook posts, however if your really into something and want to learn or have knowledge to give you'll eventually seek out a better platform like a forum. Its interesting that some forums like Expedition Portal don't seem to be having an issue. Forums with an older set of users seem to do ok for know.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Still have a subscription to four wheeler and field and stream. Sucks about Petersens, but I haven’t had a subscription to them in years.

Agree with Facebook sucking for anything. I can’t find a post two minutes after I saw it. It also seems like there are more adds everyday. I was bored the other evening and reported a bunch as sexually offensive.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I subscribe to four wheeler, toyota owners mag, and Peterson 4wheel and off road. I fucking LOVE getting a new mag in the mail. It's like a mini Christmas for me.

This is a sad day indeed.
I'm the same way. I prefer the print mags and keep the ones that have articles on shit I might need for future reference. I have a kindle and tablet but still prefer actual print books for reading. I have subscribed to just about all the 4x4 mags since the late 80's and read all those my dad subscribed to prior to that.

Sad day for me as well.

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
Hell, you click on something and then hit the back button and you have a totally different arrangement on your feed. Everything about FB is designed to simply keep you on there for as long as possible.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Facebook is the new Petersen's publishing. It's all about selling ads, nothing more. A whole generation is now growing up only knowing a world where this is pervasive and they accept it. They do not seek knowledge, they do not have anything worthwhile to share, no wisdom. They will go through their whole lives maybe not knowing much past what was fed to them by their absentee parents and the stream of BS on their phone.

Print and TV media are the same as Facebook. They exist to sell ads. They caused this and I am not sorry for them, not for 1 second. Have they not made billions of $? Are they not incredibly successful by every definition?

Print media is not any more dead than carburetors. Get over it.

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
It's all about that instant gratification. Why spend the effort to see how many replies of people wanting to literally lick my asshole from my badass build thread, when I got a fancy app on a fancy phone that will buzz non-stop letting me know how many asshole licks I could be getting in real-time.

The other part about the instant gratification, in my opinion, is that places like this forum only attract like-minded individuals, for the most part. We're all pretty diverse, but with the similar enjoyment of 4-wheeling (and guns in OSR and tits and ass in GCC and the occasional tech thread in Gen4x4). So when we post a build, it is only seen by the audience that actually cares about it, and since everyone here is exposed to it, some people are meh about your 37" tires because they've already been there, done that, seen it, and moved on, while others are like "woah way cool I want to run 37s!", so your reactions are fairly mixed, but also somewhat limited.

business' have had a rather interesting relationship with Facebook and likely to a lesser extend with IG, but it seems like FB early on started a bunch of the change.

suddenly all the advertisers/small business owners had a way to easily reach many people for free with the option of having their customers spread it to others. that was a reach the forums would never get. a forum relies on random google search results popping it up and then hoping that somebody looking for something specific would find your post and find your link.

well, then FB decided to change the algorithm and now your business only gets exposure if you pay for 'sponsored ads' and even those aren't always up to date. it is no longer free or easy to get word of mouth spreading, add in the trials and push to make 'likes' and 'shares' private and it will only be worse.

of course, the couple years when it was good, all the advertisers jumped on the "forums dead" bandwagon and now that "social media sucks" they really are getting stuck at a crossroads. the internet is not nearly as useful as it used to be. is it worth it to come back to forums, as an advertiser, and post more tech in peoples threads? Do a giveaway for a handful of people? post about your own products? I think so, but I'm also old apparently and this is still my primary means of communication. :flipoff2:

even the damn data crawler search engines suck. I've been trying out bing and regardless of what I search, I get 2-3x as many "ad" labeled link results as I do actual search results. google is not as bad, but still going that way.

so yeah, i'd love to see the Canadians actually offer something decent in return for the yellow star program, or drop the price dramatically, to try and entice vendors back. yeah yeah, I know the best thing is to kill the paid program all together :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
I don’t believe so, I found this post on his FB and IG.
could have sworn he had an account years/decades back. not that it matters at all now :laughing:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Print certainly isn't dead for my dad. He prints everything. Sundays are football and tech support:)

I haven't had a mag subscription since computer world stopped the print mag. I still subscribe to the newspaper and will till it dies a sad slow death.

·
Registered
717 Posts
When I was growing up in SoCal during the 1970's, 1980's, and through the 90's.

You had magazines, the library, Dick Cepek catalog or some other companies, maybe a Jeep bible, the truck/auto trader, and the JC whitney catalog.
Maybe there was a shop in town you could see cool stuff being worked on.
Or maybe see some cool stuff playing in the desert/or racing.

This was your pipeline of information, unless you also had neighbors that had cool stuff, or your family had cool stuff.
Magazines and racing helped drive the progression of the technology during that time.

Then the internet shows up 1998-1999.
Along comes discussion boards and then forums.
The shared information and online social interaction begins to expand the sport/hobby
Magazines are still relevant for the first 10-15 years, but the writing is on the wall.
The auto trader publications going away is a perfect example....it's all online now.
So , after 20 years of living with the internet, we see the inevitable withdraw of many hobbyist magazines.
I would imagine this is happening to almost every magazine publisher no matter what the hobby is.
And newspapers will be next. I imagine most printed media will be gone in 20 years.

It's really just a slow, but inevitable progression of things in print that will be turned to a subscriber system for viewing and downloading.

Sad to see an era come to an end with some of the older magazines.

_

61 - 80 of 103 Posts