Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Non-Lemming
78,529 Posts
So what are the magazines that are dying off. I want to go buy the last issues.
These are the ones going "out of print".

4-Wheel & Off-Road
Automobile
Car Craft
Chevy High Performance
Classic Trucks 
Diesel Power
Hot Rod Deluxe 
Jp
Lowrider
Mopar Muscle
Muscle Car Review
Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords
Mustang Monthly
Street Rodder
Super Chevy 
Super Street
Truck Trend 
Truckin’
Vette

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
So what's going to happen to current subscribers? I enjoy reading mags, and just signed up to 24 month subscriptions to Hot Rod, 4 Wheel &Offroad, and Car Craft. At <$1/issue it was cheap entertainment; and now two of them are going out of print.

·
Non-Lemming
78,529 Posts
So what's going to happen to current subscribers? I enjoy reading mags, and just signed up to 24 month subscriptions to Hot Rod, 4 Wheel &Offroad, and Car Craft. At <$1/issue it was cheap entertainment; and now two of them are going out of print.
Supposedly they'll be offered "on-line".

·
P.B.A.
4,325 Posts
Funny I make it a point to subscribe to print publications. And four wheeler just plain sucks. I bet the reason they keep it are 4x4 of the year completion. I’m sure they get paid a pretty penny from manufacturers for that.

·
Premium Member
11,147 Posts
That is the worst. I'll find an article I want to read on the FB, close my phone and go take a dump hoping to read it on the shitter, open up the app, and it's gone, and I have to spend 20 minutes searching manually, which sucks and usually finds everything *but* what I'm searching for, or I have to scroll down forever until I stumble across it.
For what it's worth - FB has an option to 'save' a post; click on the little option dots on the upper right of whatever you're looking at, and then it puts it into your 'saved' folder and you can bring it up later. I use the shit out of that feature, for the same reason :)

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
or a completely different format? I know we are still using 8 tracks, VHS, cassette, reel to reel, CD, betamax still to this day in every home.
I'm only a few years older, and this is me, almost. I do use social media, but I still burn CDs to play in my truck.
CDs? Don't like those new fangled things. I still have the factory cassette deck in my DD 90' Bronco. (A box of good cassettes)

I do like forums better than print. FB, not so much. In fact, the few times I've been on it, I can't see why anyone likes it.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
its all my fault.

i didnt even know truck night was kaput.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Thoughts?
Magazines turned for the worse in the late 80's. While advertising has always been a part of magazines (just read early hot rods) it seemed to me that the advertising started to take over the articles more and more, become more of a blatent shill for a product vs a more subtle more detailed shill for a product. And ads certainly didn't let up, if anything they seemed to proliferate the magazines. It basically drove me away from them. The randomn magazine I looked at, lots of frill but no substance so as far as I'm concerned, they've been on a downward slide since the late 80's, when, in my opinion they peaked and jumped the shark.

business' have had a rather interesting relationship with Facebook and likely to a lesser extend with IG, but it seems like FB early on started a bunch of the change.
Facebook set the grounds back when they where only allowing college kids to register. You have a big audience of impressionable kids with idialistic views of the world. Add the zukerburg being of similar nature, things he tries since he doesn't have a good-old-boys style board to satisfy plays on the thinking patterns of college kids and sets the stage for the way things progress. Those college kids are now long out of college, and the facebook thing has shaped their thinking. And here we are, facebook is pervasive, and if you want to know about something going on facebook probably has it. Unfortunately. Fuck facebook.

Alex.

·
Registered
716 Posts
In my opinion, the only thing for the general public that needs to be printed on paper is official maps. And updated regularly. Maybe a few other things like sales papers and coupons that I can think of but as for entertainment or one day old news... Why should they???

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
I still have some beaten and tattered copies of 4Wheel and off Road that my buddies and I traded back in forth in middle school. Clampy, Shannon's Pink Jeep, The Quagmire Big Block Squarebody Chevy in Top Truck Challenge. Sam Patton's CJ7 on 40's, Jesse Haines' giant Toyota, The Scorpion Rigs. It was always awesome to get that rag and talk and dream about fixing our junk up one day.

Sucks that kids won't have that now. But they don't care anyway.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The frustration for me was, as a subscriber, I would get content on the website weeks/months before the print article. That killed my subscription. Give me access before the rest of the world, I would have kept it. And that's just from their website. As others have said, FB/IG/whatever will have event news and pics out long before that still.

·
Registered
61 Posts
bummed as well. I’ll miss JP Mag the most. been wheeling jeeps since 1980 and have spent mucho bucks over these last 40 years subscribing to many offroad and hot rod related mags. I do like my crapper reading and sitting by the fire during off season reading. still got Crawl and Trails for now. I spend a lot of time on my Ipad checking pages as well as “learning” to use Instagram (still no clue) So I like both old school print as well as social medium.

·
Change is good.
35,188 Posts
This. And fax machines. DIE!
!
When the main computer system my company uses got hacked, we were still able to ship orders via fax...and smoke signals.

·
Change is good.
35,188 Posts
I got a subscription to Motor Trend and it's comical to see their articles on "off-roading", usually it's on a dirt road that a Camry would have no problem with. Or when they took a Range Rover with 21" tires and got a flat...imaging that, (and no spare of course). Or when they barely survived the Mojave Road, which they described as not much more than a footpath. :laughing: Fucking Millennials,(mostly).

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
So does this mean that old copies will become collector items?:evil:

Playboy didn't fund my retirement,maybe 4Wheel &Off Road will:laughing:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Crawl has sucked since Tim and Brandon left. You may think he was a douche but that guy knew what he was doing. Since he left he’s sold two tech startups for millions.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts