Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, here's the deal: I'm a broke college kid who just had to sell my baby ('80 CJ-7, 350/350 combo, scout D44's, lockers, SOA w/ 2" springs, 35.12.50 BFG MTs, etc.). It was simply not feasible to drive this vehicle the 5 hours it takes me to get to college. So, I sold it to buy the '97 TJ I have now. This summer, as money comes, I plan to add a 2" coil spacer lift and probably an inch of body lift also. This should be enough to clear 32x11.50s on my 15x8 rockcrawlers with 3.5" backspacing. Now comes my question: what, IYO, is the best all around tire out there that is affordable? It has to be an MT style, I wheel too much for an AT. I have 31x10.50 Eldorado ZRTs on it right now and love them, but I was just checking to see if there may be something better. The Procomp X-terrains? Also, what are some other affordable modifications that I can perform to increase off-road performance and get more power outta my poor little 4 banger? Thanx guys.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I don't think anyone is running the explorer X-terrains. If your broke these are not your tires, way to expesive. Here are some other ones I woud look at. Swamper SSR's, Swamper Trux's, BFG M/T's, Goodyear MTR's, and Yokohoma M/T's. As far as getting more power from your 2.5 you could look at a new cam, exhaust, headers, ignition system, open air cleaner, aka K&N. To get your most power out of the 2.5 just gear extremly low.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Try Walmart and General Grabber MT's. They'll have to order them but they are a lot of bang for your buck. I paid $116 for 35x12.50x15's and their actual size spec's beat most of the other majors. Except for Interco of course.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You could try the Big-O's too. The all terrain (I think they're called XT's) are one fo the best AT tires off-road, and the MT (I don't remember what it's really called) is a pretty dope tire too--it looks a lot like the general grabber MT.

As far as price--they are really cheap and they have a sidewall puncture warranty that covers offroading. Also, regardless of condition , they will replace the tire for $20.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts