Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel pump whines really loud at all times when the engine is running, is this a sign that it could be going out? Is there anyway to quiet the noise? Thanks, Brody

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
Is this the Holley system? If so, I know somebody else with that problem.

I might also ask if it is an in-line fuel pump (not an in-tank unit)? An in-line pump *may* make an awful amount of racket, especially if it is more than 18" away from the tank and not below the lowest point on the tank (this is the case with my rig, as well as others who have mounted an in-line pump quite aways from the tank...though not everybody experiences this...). Air in the line also creates more noise.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Loud pump

I have the Holly inline pump on my TBI. it is so loud it gave my wife a headache. I mounted it in a old radiator hose then raped it in a foam pipe rapp. It is much quiter now. I worry it will git to hot and burn out. I think I will buy a spare pump from a differnt manufacture. Glen

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My holly unit makes a lot of noise as does everyones i now. Would like to carry a spare also, where do you plan on getting one and for how much?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
the two we run are nice and quiet. but we have the new style. Is yours black with holley on it, or is it silver with out any labeling. Also did the wiring harness plug in, or did you have to adapt the harness to ring terminals. Maybe they had some problems with the old pumps, and replaced them.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
If the fuel pressure is out of adjustment it can cause the pump to get loud. Might be worth checking.:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Fuel Pump

Mine is the black holly with the electrial plugs built in. Looks like a nice unit but very loud. Any tip on a quieter pump. Glen

·
Registered
873 Posts
I dunno the specs of these pumps but most aftermarket high flow inline pumps are noisy. My accel is no exception

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
sounds like you might have junk in it...inspect the pump as mine runs very quiet....flush it in reverse with compressed air or pull the rear screen and inspect....also make sure it's not getting starved for fuel....

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
sounds liek there was a change in pumps. the new pumps they provide are plain silver, without any labeling. You also have to modify the wiring harness. Check with holley to see if there was a recall.

·
Registered
420 Posts
fuel pump

Depending on how you have the pump installed-try to create a "loop" in the fuel line between the tank and pump to trap gas and keep from getting an air pocket. Once I did this my pump was much quietier. Steve:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
mine whines a little, not loud enough to hear over the motor, though. I was sure to mount it under the lowest point on the tank, and not too far away from the tank. Been going good for over a year...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had both old and new holley pumps, were quiet when new, but became very loud. Suspect junk getting into the pump or possibly, heat getting to it. :confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts