Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just scored a pair of full width d60,s with 6 38.5 swampers:D the price was right.........free.....Now that i am done bragging what are the advantages and disadvantages of full width under my cj7.I am a poor guy and cant really afford custom axles. So tell me what to expect. Any imput will be greatly appreciated.thanks.....:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
outboarding the springs sucks.......but the width is groovy. I like being wide. People say, " When you are that wide, you have to run over everything" (that was in my most whiney voice). And I say, "that is why I am out here asshat, to run shiat over!" :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kieth..I already outboarded for my 44front so i understand that.I am running scout housings . 60ins wms to wms. I was wondering about stock power steering box, power steering pump, Components i an not sure will hold up to added stress.:confused:

·
Registered
262 Posts
i have been running full width 60/14 boltin my yj and love it. my buddy runs narrowed tj width 60s.only differance i noticed was he could turn better in tight spots on the trail. he did make some things look easier than i did,but that went both ways.steering was a little tough at times i was running, key word was, 39.5 with stock gm v8 pump. now will be running a howe system with 44s.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
there is one thing i looks at when i am thinking of swaping somthing in my jeep. is it "custom"

custom = PITA! i never recomend cutting a axle down unless you can use some stort of stock shaft (that goes for rears too) that makes it esay to order high strenght shafts cuz you can order a stock size.

cut down, no easy to find shafts, aftermarket shafts cost more to cut down and spline or make.

EI: full width, easy to find shafts for, no cutting down and resplining. hell easy to find replacement anything for.

also i like the width. do it:flipoff2:

·
Registered
500 Posts
I love being full width. I have a pretty good turning radius still too. Only thing I did was run hummer H2 wheels for the 5.5 inches of back spacing to bring it in some. I still have stock power steering box and pump. Also my brake master cyllinder and everything is stock right now but I have one to swap in it. My braking is decent but I think it should be better than it is.

·
Registered
888 Posts
My opinion of that pic of the full width TJ, is it looks goofy. That's me though. Your mileage may differ..:flipoff2:

·
Registered
531 Posts
I don't think full width is that bad. I think people that bitch about it usually haven't had it. I have wheeled in tight woods before, and can have trouble fitting sometimes, but I usually make it. I wouldn't want to be any narrower than I am right now, and I am only on the 33's that came with the donor truck. I am definitely gonna want full width when the 38's come. My buddy just got a scrambler on 38.5's, but has narrowed 44's. They have to send some spare shafts out to get cut and resplined before the trip to Moab. Just seems like a PITA to me. I'm sure there are some pros to narrowing custom axles, but full widths are right for me. Plus, I was a cheap bastard.:D

·
Registered
490 Posts
4x4 Pete said:
My opinion of that pic of the full width TJ, is it looks goofy. That's me though. Your mileage may differ..:flipoff2:
That pic makes it look really wide most angles it doesn't look quite like that. I think full width actually looks "right" for any tire thats bigger than 38s or so

posting under my roomates name but oh well :D Speaking of which his Jeep below is on a full with Ford front 60, teh same Dodge rear dana 70 I have with the same 5.5 inch backspacing hummer wheels also like I have and its quite a bit narrower

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
That TJ kicks ass.

The only bad thng about full width is the difficulty in getting the rig on and off the trailer. Other than that, I will never go back to narrowed axles unless I was going to use my rig for comps. Full width rocks for a trail rig.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I'm sitting at about 79" wide also, I love it! I am running 17x9 w/ 5" BS and fullwidth axles. I sure does change your lines though, I mean that in a good way!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
767 Posts
Originally posted by 93yjsahara
posting under my roomates name but oh well :D Speaking of which his Jeep below is on a full with Ford front 60, teh same Dodge rear dana 70 I have with the same 5.5 inch backspacing hummer wheels also like I have and its quite a bit narrower
Must be missing something, you said same axles and wheels yet the YJ is narrower, how's that.

Con's to running full width, don'st stick your head out the window when running in mud :D

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
DetR6oit, what exactly are your front and rear WMS-WMS widths?
reason i'm asking is that i have a 63" wide rear 60 that i'm going to attempt running the H2 wheels on, however i'm still undecided as to the front width

thanks

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
This is about the only siuation I've encountered where full-width made wheeling a bit of a "different" challenge :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
CJBoxer said:

Must be missing something, you said same axles and wheels yet the YJ is narrower, how's that
Same rear axle different fronts.

The yj is running a 94 HP60 front out of a ford with a D70 out of a dodge ram in the rear.

The TJ has Dodge axles front and rear

·
Registered
492 Posts
My only question about going full width is, why the hell didn't you just buy a Blazer? :flipoff2: :D

1 - 20 of 70 Posts