Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped and looked at an 83' short bed. of course solid front axle, 4cyl. Not to bad rusted, interior is terrible. Engine runs and doesn't knock or clatter, but oil has mixed w/ the coolant and you can see it in the radiator. Sounds like a head gasket to me, checked and a head gasket kit was $74 at Napa. How hard are the 22r engines to put a head gasket on? Never tore into a yota motor but do have experience w/ a jeep or chevy engine.

Dont think Im gonna pass it up, guy only wants $750 for it and it has a brand new set of 35" off brand tires, new radiator, plugs and wires

Let me know if there is anything I should look for

thanks

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Head gaskets are easy to replace. It might not be a head gasket though, it could be the timing cover. Over periods of time and poor preventative maintenance (not changing your coolant) the areas where the timing cover mates to the head and block erode from corrosion and cause coolant leaks. Internal leaks! Can be bad if not caught in time. Be wary, this could be an expessive deal!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a way to tell if it is the head gasket or timing cover leaking before I go pulling the head?

With a leaky timing cover, could this also cause oil in the coolant?

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you start it up and bubbles immediatly begin to flow in the radiator or the coolant sprays out it's a headgasket.You also have to watch the timing chain guides as they break and then the chain wears through the case.This can cause mixing of the coolant as well.I hate to say this but $750 is way to high for this kind of truck.If the coolant has mixed with the oil for any length of time the bearing may be carmalized.It would invovle a complete tear down.Also getting oil out of a cooling system is nearly impossible and every hose will need to be replaced as they rot from the inside.I paid $250 cdn for the last toy I bought with a blown headgasket.It had a brand new clip and the cab was mint.If you do decide to buy this then watch for the little bolt at the front of the head near the chain.It will be under a pool of oil right inside where the chain is.Just in front of the chain.Good luck.

·
Registered
367 Posts
hmmmm, 35 inch tires + stock gearing = bad clutch ?

If you pull the head off, have it wacked (decked) before you put it back on.

$750 is a good price too!!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Carefull, it could be more than just a gasket. I just did one a thought was JUST a gasket, broken rings, warped head, droped valve guides, ...ect...
If antifreez has been in contact with them bearing for an extended amount of time you could definetly be looking at a total rebuild.
At start up listen for the timing chain slapping agains the cover which would indicate broken guides and potentially a hole into the water pump.

Pull the plugs look for rust and water.
pull the dip stick is it milkshaked?
$750 is a lot if the body and interior is not in really good condition.

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: FLASHLIGHTMAN ]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Flashlightman and rob gonna go look and inspect motor a little closer especially at the timing chain, thanks for the tips. BTW about how much does a rebuild run on one of these? cheap route if possible. I think I may offer him $500, he needs some money bad opening a resturuant and needs some cash. The tires are brand new their worth about $350-400, may just part it out. Body is in good shape, just the interior is a total wreck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts