Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I start my 86 toyota pickup and a loud noise comes from the motor. It sounds like the upper part of the motor with the valves, springs, and push rods vibrating terribly. I quickly shut the motor off and looked under the hood. I saw nothing strange. Checked the oil, looked fine. I started it again and went under the hood to see if anything was identifiable. That is when I noticed that it was the top of the motor.

I am thinking that the oil pump is bad. If it is, does anyone know if I may have damaged some bearings? How can I check the oil pump without starting the motor?

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Get a manual from the factory or haynes and start from scratch.

No telling what it is,but it aint push rods.22r re dont have any their over head cam big guy. Lots of questions we would need to know to help. Oil level ok? oil light on? been wheeling in water before this happened? driving freeway before this happened?
Could be carbon ,could be bent rod from hydro lock, could be broken valve or spring, could be spun rod bearing ,could be lots of things:D

Seems your mechanical ability may hinder you here ,get someone more qualified to listen to it.

Gary:D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did check the oil and it was fine. Oil light did not come on. 2wd truck. Driving down the freeway shortly before I parked it for the night, a noise that sounded like a piece of metal came from the bottom of the truck. Motor did not sound odd. I am affraid of causing major damage to the motor if I continue to run it. I do have mechanical abilities, just not real familiar with the 22r motor. This is my dads truck that I am commuting with.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well do yourself a favor and pull the valve cover. You don't have to have mechanical abilities to do that. Check the rockers, cam, valves etc. See if there is anyhting unusual. I can't identify your problem unless you describe it in detail. A piec of metal from the bottom of the engine doesn't sound good, but a little more description would help.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I'd pull the valve cover and check to see if you might have lost one of your timing chain guides (usually the drivers side) cause the chain will start slapping against the timing cover. If that's the case don't wait too long to change it.:eek:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pulling the valve cover and inspecting does sound like the next logical step. I will do that tonight and go from there.
Thanks

·
Registered
609 Posts
did anyone tell you to check the timing chain? 22r toyotas had dual row chains up to 1981 then they got chintzy in and switched to single row with nylon guides that always break- especially on first start up when there is no oil preasure. If you want to switch to dual row and metal guides your motor has to be 84 or earlier (the stroke and deck height are different) and a new oil pump spline for about 30$. If your motor isn't in the years listed you can get a dual set from L.C. engineering in AZ. for something like 450$. I'm not sure but it might be DOA racing that offers metal guides which is a lot cheaper than L.C.s kit, and much more practical for a stock motor. If the guides are broken or missing (driver's side always breaks first) then it should be dealt with asap to avoid major engine damage. If you decide to tackle this job don't fallow the haynes or factory book because they want you to take the head off and all you need to do is remove the oil pan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts