Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled out the Longfeilds to install the new chromolies and I couldn't get the inner out of the birf. WTF? I new for sure I didn't put the outer clip on. Finally had to beat it out like there was a clip in there. I found out why, the axle walked outward and rubbed the inside of the birf deforming the splines.

This could be a major problem for someone who busts an inner on the trail and expects the piece in the birf to just fall out.

Since I don't have to worry about busting an inner anymore I'm going to go ahead and put the inner clip on, I don't want to fawk up the chromoly shafts.

Here's the end of the stock shaft:

Here's a comparison to a new axle:

It's kind of hard to see but the inside of the Longfeild has some major scoring:

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I'm sending a broken one back tomorrow. I have a set of some of the first ones, been in the rig under hard use at 190:1 and 4500# of weight for almost a year. Finally pulled the front all apart due to another broken front R and P and found the inner cage cracked. The Longfield even broken still outlasted a 5.29 gearset. I'm also sending Bobby another core for a spare, a great product for the toy axles at twice the price.

With that being said, I'll probably win the drawing the day after I get mine in the mail.:D

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah bobby saved the toy front axle :D

I just wanted people to be aware they may not be able to seperate the inner from the birf very easily. I was expecting it to just slide out. If I had to this on the trail I would have been in trouble because I don't carry my birf seperator.

I have no idea if it damaged the birf or not, the scoring on looks like 1/16 deep, maybe.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Same thing happened to toyfamily and I on our first obstacle at the Donner comp. We had to weld the axle shaft to the broken stub and pull it out with a porta power, before we had to start the second gate... luckily that course was backed up to.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
So pat, are you FINALLY going to go 4.10? Or did you try that and stil break gear sets.

Goodness, man! If I broke as often as it seems like you do, I'd be looking desperately for a way to lose a thousand pounds, or else find a pair of 60s. :eek:

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
TNToy said:
So pat, are you FINALLY going to go 4.10? Or did you try that and stil break gear sets.

Goodness, man! If I broke as often as it seems like you do, I'd be looking desperately for a way to lose a thousand pounds, or else find a pair of 60s. :eek:
by all means, don't cut any more weight off, but add in an extra 500 lbs, by going 60's

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
yarddog said:
If I had to this on the trail I would have been in trouble because I don't carry my birf seperator.
Thats is what the "MarTack" is for. So you do not have to run the clip.

What the hell is a Birf seperator? I alway used a BFH when I had Birfields!:D

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
It looks to me as if you have been running this with no clips in either groove on the axle.

In the attached pic you must run the clip in the groove with the green arrow or the axle can walk out and damage the spline.

The only circlip you must leave out is the clip that goes in the groove with the red arrow.

And then the Martack stops the axle sliding inward into the housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing on the long side. I dont see how the martack would prevent this, unless you martack the birf side of the axle as well.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
The Martac will not prevent the axle walking into the birf!

That is what the Circlip is for.

The Martac stops the Axle from walking out of the birf!

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
yarddog said:
Yeah bobby saved the toy front axle :D

I just wanted people to be aware they may not be able to seperate the inner from the birf very easily. I was expecting it to just slide out. If I had to this on the trail I would have been in trouble because I don't carry my birf seperator.

Toyota gave you a Birf separator on the stock frame:D The round crossmember above the rear axle. It's what I used both times I've removed inners.

And RUFF is right. You need the second ring to keep the inner from wandering into the birf. Wether or not you've removed the outer ring would have no effect on that movement. But somehow I think you know that;)

This is the crossmember to use to separate your birf.
Put the inner end in there and slam that birf up against the frame like you wish it was a D60 UJ. And have someone at the other end of the crossmember to catch the inner cause they can fly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i can not beleave you guys after all the discusion on this and some of you still don't get it RUFF dose martack is to keep the axel from slidding in and the green arrow has to have a clip to keep the axel out of the burf and you need a clip on the burf at the hub.come on you guys think:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused:

PS im4yotas posted at the same time i did so i did not see his post and he is right thats where i separate burfs frum allso

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
OK I was thinking basswackwards yesterday. If you do not put the circlip whre the green arrow is it is gong to walk into the birf. Also when it is walking into the birf it is not leaving much spline in the diff and pulling the axle ff the seal sweet spot.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't realize I had to run a clip at the green arrow. But now that I see it, it's like DOH!! So that's going back on and will solve the problem, thanks Ruff.

OPP'S, now that I think about it, a birf seperator wouldn't help get that broken piece out of the birf anyway. It's to small.

I use a 1' piece of 2" conduit with one of those floor mount things screwed on one end. Stick it in the vice and slam the birf down on it till the force breaks the clip inside the birf.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Read "What everyone need to know about Longfields" in the Toyota FAQ'S post.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110627&pagenumber=3

4. You MUST use a snap ring on the locking hub side of the Longfield. There are 2 snap ring grooves on the Longfield end of the axle shaft. You must NOT use a snap ring on the outside (the part that goes inside of the Longfield) of the axle shaft. You MUST use a snapring on the groove that is just outside of the Longfield. This will keep the axle from sliding too far in the longfield and damaging the end of the axle shaft.

·
Registered
695 Posts
can you say duh!!!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
strmin said:
can you say duh!!!:flipoff2:
At least I'm not the only one. It always makes me feel better to find out I'm not the only one who does stupid shit sometimes :flipoff2: I wonder how many people are thinking "shit, did I put that clip on?" :D

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
so, when the axle snaps, what keeps the birfs side from sliding out and "entangeling" with the longer snapped piece, since there is no inner clip?

I think about it as I type, and I believe they would entangle anyway because the martack won't hold it in the diff side....

Just rambling........

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
TXLUGNUT said:
so, when the axle snaps, what keeps the birfs side from sliding out and "entangeling" with the longer snapped piece, since there is no inner clip?

I think about it as I type, and I believe they would entangle anyway because the martack won't hold it in the diff side....

Just rambling........
That's why it is a good idea to stop ASAP and fix stuff before it gets FUBAR...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts