Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a noise that I cannot identify. It is a loud scrubbing noise coming from the front. It is speratic, it lasts any where between 2-10 secs. Whether or not I have the clutch, gas or Brake depressed makes no difference. My truck is an 86 4x4 22R pickup.
I can't think of any more info. to give but if there is some you need, I can prob. provide it.
-Dirty Dan

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
You're gonna have to do better than that at describing it. Does it do it only when moving, or anytime the motor is running or only when turning or only after a night of hard drinking or....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good Point

Thanks for pointing that out.
As far as I can tell, it only does it when I am moving, untill today, it only did it in 3rd gear, but today, it did it once in 2nd.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Alabamatoy said:
or only after a night of hard drinking or....
blahahahaha

i don't know but i can tell you some things to check.

first thing i would check is wheel bearings, cause they wear more with bigger tires.
crawl under the truck and check everything. drive shafts, u joints, "T" case flanges and the pinion seal/bearings. look at the brakes see if anything is loose or rubbing.
once i had a noise i swore was a wheel bearing but it ended up being that my hubs were locked in and the bad u joint i had up there was making the racket.
do you have auto hubs? are the front cv joints roasted?
are the motor mounts smoked?
do you have those little caps on the rims? are they fastened down real well?
that's about all i can think of right now.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
if its an ifs and it only does it when the truck is cold. its gunna be the little brass dohickies that the cv joint rides on where it goes through the back of the wheel. i cant think of what its called, but its the only brass thing in there. grease it up. problem solved;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts