Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search on them and came up with alot of smack talk but couldn't really find anyone who has run them. The reason im asking as im looking at a set of bare ones for really cheap. Thinking about cleaning them up and filling them with some half decent Comp Cams valves. Does anyone have any experience with these? Im more worried about durability than max performance. Figured to have about 700$ Cnd into the entire head swap. Was also looking into vortecs but the cheapest qoute i could get locally was 1050$ for a rebuilt set:eek:( typicaly oilfied rape and pilage tax).

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
you can buy new vortecs from scoggindickey for less.

dont buy the procomps, they suck, theyre made in china.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you can buy new vortecs from scoggindickey for less.

dont buy the procomps, they suck, theyre made in china.

Shippping to the great white north (and brokerage) adds up pretty quick. I've been looking at the Wheeler vortecs at SDPC but by the time you pay shipping and buy a new intake and rockers its not really worth it.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Shippping to the great white north (and brokerage) adds up pretty quick. I've been looking at the Wheeler vortecs at SDPC but by the time you pay shipping and buy a new intake and rockers its not really worth it.
honestly, it is. by the time you get done fixing the chinese intake, you will be money ahead to buy the vortec intake..

or, you could find a 96 to 99 chevy with vortec heads and buy em... i bought a whole engine for 50 bucks, sold the crank for 75.. kept the roller lifter setup, too.
i got 7 good rods out of the deal, and an extra set of vortec heads that i sold for 200.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
^^^ that

I doubt I'll ever buy aftermarket "hard parts" like cranks and heads for a Vortec motor. For what I need them to do, bolt-ons (and -ins hehe) work great. :D

·
Registered
385 Posts
quality is not free... the china shit sucks

there are lots of write ups on modifying stock vortec heads for better flow and you can get a late 90's vortec engines complete for around $500 cdn at the wreckers, then you will have fuel injection also!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for your opinions guys, pretty much echoed what i was fearing.I spent the most of the day on the phone and found a low milage set of vortecs a few hours away for 300$. they even will stand behind them as far as cracks. I have heard of people redrilling vortecs for the old manifold bolt pattern any thoughts on this? I know for a fact (previous engine build) that an edlebrock preformer will not cover the ports but i have a raised port holley intake sittin around that should cover the ports. is it worth the effort to save a couple hundred dollars.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Even with raised ports you're going to have a tough time getting them to match. The ports on a Vortec are HIGH. Don't mess around with the ports on the heads themselves much. They were really well designed and you aren't going to gain much. What you do gain comes with a heavy expense in terms of performance at the other end of the scale. GM really did their homework on those heads and doing a bunch of port work or putting bigger valves in will not gain you much of anything, nor will running a cam any bigger than .525 and even that is really at the extreme of what the heads need to work.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
Pro-comp's suck. I just spent way more than I care to share, because of my pro-comp heads on my 496. I hear that there BBC parts are way worse than the SBC's. Eather way Fuck Pro-comp.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I picked up a set of these for my rig. Got em off craigslist for 400 bucks. Had to grind the exh seats , other than that Ive had no problems out of them.

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
NO, PRO COMP ELECTRONICS ITEMS ARE GARBAGE!!! Heads develop cracks due to residual stress in the castings. Eventual failure will occur.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Is there a common denominator in the sets that are failing? I mean are they ALL cracking or just the ones that are being run on dome engines or somthing of that nature? Im just wondering if I need to start looking for a new set of heads or if Ill be alright running these on a trailer queen that sees about 10-15 rides a year ......

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
If I were you I would have them cryoed after disassembly then reassembled then you have a better chance of success. We quit dealing with procomp electronics years ago and I can only share what I have heard from many builders and warehouses. Their is one CNC head shop that says they have not had a problem with them yet so not 100% failure but be aware you may end up welded them. Get your heads magg'ed before bolting them on.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine are on the motor already. I picked them up last august. I had them checked and had the exh seats ground before bolting them on. I just dont want my fresh small block to give up the ghost cause of some junky heads that I bought. I guess Ill just have to stay on my toes and make sure I dont run it hot .

mutherfawk

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Mine are on the motor already. I picked them up last august. I had them checked and had the exh seats ground before bolting them on. I just dont want my fresh small block to give up the ghost cause of some junky heads that I bought. I guess Ill just have to stay on my toes and make sure I dont run it hot .

mutherfawk
yep

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
most of the problems with these heads stem from poor machining. the valve guides, rocker stud locations, seats, spring pockets, ports, and bolt holes have a tendency to be off on location, requiring many adjustments and corrections to be made.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts