Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
III
28,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Carhartt junky, I admit it. I am still disappointed that they are no longer made in the US but I just about everything I wear is Carhartt of some variety. Levi's don't fit me and they are anti gun anyway, most other pants just wear out on me. I go through a few pairs of pants every six months or so. I need tough pants, period.

I almost always shoot very early in the mornings when it's barely light enough to see and in the winter this often means enduring temps in the 20's or even teens, while sitting, so that means getting cold. I have two pairs of Carhartt bibs that I wear a lot and they are awesome but I have two complaints. One, it's hard to take a leak in them, much less anything else, if you know what I mean. Especially if you have top layers, you might have an accident by the time you get down to business. Two, if you only have belt holsters for your guns, it gets challenging trying to carry a pistol.

Enter Carhartt waist overalls. Basically just a bib overall without the bib. They are just heavily insulated pants with a zipper up the side to be worn and put on just like bibs.

B194BLK.jpg

I wear these with a single pair of light thermal underwear and I am good to go. In the past on my bibs, I have sewn in a piece of nylon on the legs so they don't get shredded by snow and ice and also a snap at the bottom so the zippers don't ride up. I should have submitted these suggestions to them, but someone did. Both legs have nylon ripstop on the back cuff and all around the inside of the bottom leg.

These pants have the double knee that Carhartt is famous for. I love this double knee, especially when tromping through heavy brush that tears lesser pants. The zippers are heavy brass as are the snaps and will last forever.

The important part of course, is that I have no problem staying just as warm as with bibs but all my belt holsters work as well. I shoot in an area where I have seen many coyotes, several bobcats, one mountain lion and the tracks for a few more. I am always carrying something heavy in my pants, especially since I am there in the late evenings and early mornings. The one time I spotted the lion, I am reasonably sure he was stalking me, despite the fact hat I was shooting a .44 mag at that moment.

In short, I give these pants five stars. I just wish I had more chances to wear them.

·
Registered
29,928 Posts
fwiw those are the double leg the second layer come up higher than the double "knee"

i kept wearing them out on the knee versions from lifting and cacthing the edge on stuff.

now i need them to make a double thigh to keep my harrness and fats ass from wearing the single layer out between my legs.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Good to know!! I was wishing for a pair of these the other days while wearing my bibs and wanting to carry on my hip.

I too am a Carhartt junky, especially this time of year. Most of my gear I've had since 00-02' when I had friends that worked in a store that carried Carhartt and made special deals for me. Currently wearing a Carhartt henley that I've about worn out, but I don't think they make them anymore. The BEST rain coat I have (I'm from the PNW) is a coat that they discontinued.

Their women's line could use some work. I got a pair of their double kneed (I grew up wearing guys double kneed) and they just don't fit right. Maybe I don't have the typical frame, but the crotch is way too long. I give them points for double lining the pant leg ends, as those get worn down quickly when they're not tucked in. Got a couple of their Western cut shirts and I really like them, the price tag is a little high, but if they last as well as the 9 year old shirt I'm wearing, I'm OK paying it.

Their women's bibs are alright... like I said, the crotch is low (and I wear a 36" inseam) but they cover up a lot more of the back then the mens do and zip up to the hip. I've had this pair for about a full season now and they're wearing nicely. A bit too much insulation getting this late in the season, which is why I'll be looking into these pants.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am going to have to get a pair of these,I wear my bibs alot in the winter.
I haven't see these before.

Chris is right, One, it's hard to take a leak in them, much less anything else, if you know what I mean. Especially if you have top layers, you might have an accident by the time you get down to business.:barf:

·
FoMoCo MoFo
4,580 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,124 Posts
... and to stay true to tech... what kind of holster do you wear? i have a beltloop black hawk and it places my pistol perfect under my bibs. the top of the holster is at the bottom of the bibs. it is a tight fit as in the bibs but they do not hinder the draw and holstering of the wepon. do you wear the regular carhart pants? they make the pants that are linned.

http://www.ruggedoutfitters.net/shopexd.asp?id=160

1 - 10 of 10 Posts