Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
awesome writeup, but fix the link to the dedenbear site (space just prior to the trailing slash...)

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Why'd ya skip the trans-brake?

... I want to know when everyone will catch on and start running open chain single-speed "transfercases" like the 4x4 drag cars.. plenty of beefy 'glides and open chain 'cases running around here.. and they hold up to PLENTY of power..

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
For anyone else looking for an auto trans. with more than 2 gears there is always the C4 option that is 19 inches long with the short shaft conversion and weighs just over 100 pounds.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The coolest part to me is that Dedenbear is casting their own Powerglide case. :eek:

·
Premium Member
78,528 Posts
I have a question. I've never run an auto, but I've heard from a couple of
sources that if you get an auto equipped vehicle on a severe angle you can
starve the auto for fluid and fawk it up rather badly. True, not true ????????

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Only when you repeatedly lay it on it's side:flipoff2: I can't imagine running it for so long at a speed high enough to starve it. Think about the time required to really starve it and and how fast you'd have to be going to create the heat and such required to burn it up. Just my opinion but I think that would be tough. Of course, I have never done it either so what do I know?

·
Registered
94 Posts
For you the higher stall convertor seemed to work better but, with the higher stall convertor you would loose some of the engine braking that guys with manuals love, right?

Good write up. It gave me some things to think about, as far as convertor selection.

·
Premium Member
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
skulltoy said:
They are not illegal, just says in the rules you need to have it approved by the marshall. We've been running one for 2 years...
Damn, I seem to remember the rules stating they were not permitted. But you're right, I went back and re-read them... Looks like it's time for a retrofit this offseason. :D

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
Yes, you would have reduced engine braking requiring the use of more brake pedal. The followup question is why do you need engine braking?...that's what brakes are for.
And if someone tells me it's because you're not supposed to use a clutch when going downhill, I"ll laugh at you because you believe that wive's tale. :D

·
Premium Member
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My brakes actually work BETTER because gearing no longer overpowers the brakes... So going downhill is MUCH more controlled...

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
So who's going to post up the guidelines for torque converter selection? New to the auto game, inquiring minds need info. Any rules of thumb out there?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Lance said:
My brakes actually work BETTER because gearing no longer overpowers the brakes... So going downhill is MUCH more controlled...
This is exactly the reason why I went high stall with my C6. Just need lot's of heat exchangers.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts