Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
can't beat the intro price...$79 with no core required...I might snag me a few for spares...just got smurfed a month ago....glad that there is several choices out there now...:D

·
Registered
349 Posts
I can say with great certainty...if you have an ARB in the front....there should be no way you will break a berf. You unlock when you back up and lockup when you need to go forward. I know several guys that have had Toys since before I bought mine in 95 and they have ARB in the front for just this reason. None of them have ever busted one. That doesn't mean you won't go flying up a hill and come back down hard on the front end......if that happens you just have to remember to let off the gas. It's all about finesse. Drive it for awhile like you have it Mark and you will get the hang of it.

On the other hand if you are locked up in the front other than ARB....you better go with a stronger berf unit.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I agree that using an ARB REDUCES the chances of breaking a birf. - but since my truck is both a daily driver and a drive to the trail truck, I want the insurance of having a stronger birf on the trail. As cheap as it is, I would like to put in a 'long' or 'pro' or whatever as insurance at some point.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Cruzzr said:
I can say with great certainty...if you have an ARB in the front....there should be no way you will break a berf. You unlock when you back up and lockup when you need to go forward. I know several guys that have had Toys since before I bought mine in 95 and they have ARB in the front for just this reason. None of them have ever busted one. That doesn't mean you won't go flying up a hill and come back down hard on the front end......if that happens you just have to remember to let off the gas. It's all about finesse. Drive it for awhile like you have it Mark and you will get the hang of it.

On the other hand if you are locked up in the front other than ARB....you better go with a stronger berf unit.
I can say with great certainty, if you haven't broken a birf its not because your smarter and use a arb to ulock at the perfect time.
I'll let somebody else give you the real reason you have not broke one. I wish these options were around when i wheeled birfs, i'll have them in my 40 soon.

·
Premium Member
8,609 Posts
Cruzzr said:

This is true in theory but in real life it does not work. An ARB does help but it does not just make everything better. I am a finess driver and I have broke several birf about 15 with an ARB in the front. I use to say the same thing then reality hit me in the face! I finally swaped over to a Dana 60. And becides how fun it it to always have to worry about your front end blowing up while you are wheeling? Sometimes you just have to get it!

·
Metal-tech'in
1,588 Posts
Cruzzr said:

I agree to a point. My ARB let me brake two this summer.

#1 Assing off with the HP at the end of a run in Moab. Loose soil+tire spin+ onto rock= :nuke:

#2 BHCC Full Monkey: Just worked it too hard and it was AFTER coming out of the top of Kong. :nuke:

I like finesse but some times you just need to HIT IT!

Mark

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
I broke 3 birfs with an ARB.

All going forward, wheels straight.

Tracy is right, many times in the wrong spot, you cannot back up without the help of the front locked in.

THese situations may not always take out the Birf, but the will weaken them for breaking later.

Hell, I broke a Birf backing off my trailer once. Was it the situation that broke the birf? Hell no, it was broken earlier and it just decided to give up at that time.

ARB's lessen the evil that is a Birf....that is all.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
I must say that my ARB has been very kind on my stock birf's.:flipoff2: The have survived the Hammers (sledge and Jack)
15-20 Rubicon trips (Including Little sluice a couple times), several Fordyce trips, Barret, and several other trails. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
498 Posts
ROCK HUGGER said:
I must say that my ARB has been very kind on my stock birf's.:flipoff2: The have survived the Hammers (sledge and Jack)
15-20 Rubicon trips (Including Little sluice a couple times), several Fordyce trips, Barret, and several other trails. :flipoff2:
How many winch cables have you went through then:flipoff2: J.K, i actually didn't break any tell i put 38's on and started running anaconda.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Texican has never broken a birf either!

I don't know how people can do this!

I went through every variation of Birf on the market (pre-long) and killed them all.

From 33's to 38's, I ate them like candy.

D60 is the answer :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
i have been fortunate enough to have never broken one either. i am sure this will not always be so but these trucks are just machines and like it or not machines break. i have seen d60's break pinions and knuckles too. you just do what you think will work and hope for the best. if you beef up one area it just makes the next link in the chain more prone to breakage. personally i prefer the drive line to be my weak link.
butch

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I broke one crossing up on a big tire. No tire spin and straight tires snap. Now I have an arb, longs and 35's, I have hoped it spun and just plain beat the shit out of it, all still going stong!!!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
The "ARB theory" makes alot of sense and in deed does play a role in birf longevity... but one must remember... ARB's along with any selectable locker (except cable) do not instananeously unlock and lock... I broke my first birf with the ARB off and wheels cranked, however I am fairly certain that the ARB had not disengaged fully...

Back to the subject.... $79 WTF... that is sweet!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts