Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 299 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Project 2.0- buggy build

Ok so the time has come to make some changes to the jeep after our trip to St. George I wanted a buggy that was lighter and had better visibility.

The plan is:

Pulling the tub off and tubing it out
I'll be keeping all the drivetrain and the suspension mounts to save time
I'll be rising the t-case to get a flat belly
I'll be keeping the jeep hood and grill
The chassis will be 50 or 52" wide
The goal is to add space to for the dogs to ride on the long roads to trail heads
Sold the rear air shocks and going with 14"2.0 coilovers

Here is what it looked like before this rebuild

Pulled the cage

Dash pull and tub is about ready to come off

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
You feel too heavy for the rear air shocks, couldn't get them tuned well, or didn't like their handling characteristics?

Ready to watch the rebuild unfold.:D

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i think its all of the above ... they where 2.0 shocks and they where soo stiff due to how much oil i had to put in them due to my rig was 4400lbs and after riding in some tuned rigs i want coilsovers all the way around. for the rocks they worked good but anything over 5 mph mkes your back hurt lol and i got deal from a buddy of mine on coil overs so why not.

me to goal is to be up and going in like 4-5 months

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
No going back now! You gave your tub a beating. I think you will be happy with version 2.0.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i sure did the pass side looks even better :laughing:... me too... i was going to go full on buggy but i dont want to miss next season of wheeling so this will be happy middle and i have worked out most of the drivetrain bugs and its all working really well so why change it.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well today have a been a day of ordering parts.. its a love hate relationship...

order a switch panel from 12 volt guy, some steering column parts, battery dsico and battery cable stuff. going to get tube here in a few hrs! and i already have most of the tabs i should need from ruffstuff. got a new/ used hood last night. should only need to get alum. for the floor and some UHVM for the skins!

found out i really need a 2 piece front drive shaft to keep it from hitting the stater.. so thats going to be fun.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Are you going to cut the rear frame off? I imagine you could get some more up travel if you do.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love when a rig looks like it's had the shit beat out of it!
Hahaha me to!

Are you going to cut the rear frame off? I imagine you could get some more up travel if you do.
yes it will be cut off just past the the suspension mounts,

this was part of the reason i needed to make some changes the rig. the rear worked great but there was no room for Coil overs with the way i made the frame. I should have built it under the frame but then i would have had up travel issues vs the 6" up travel that i had being that low...

i should have some updates tonight!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
worked on it yesterday... b-piller done, coil overs mounted, started on the storage area

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
more work on the rear... and my 12 volt guy switchs came in :smokin:

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Looks really good:smokin:! I wish I would have cut most of my body off when I built mine. What is your plan for a cowl or mounting the hood? I was just too chicken to figure it all out so I kept most of my tub for that reason.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Looks really good:smokin:! I wish I would have cut most of my body off when I built mine. What is your plan for a cowl or mounting the hood? I was just too chicken to figure it all out so I kept most of my tub for that reason.
thanks, i think in the long run it will be better not to have the any of the tub left it will be lighter and better visabilty but a little more work

as for the Cowl i am not going to run one just the hood and may be a filler piece that till fil the gap from the dash to the hood or the dash will go out to the hood not really sure yet... mount the hood most likely will run 4 hood pins.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
update.... the main cage work is about done

This picture is at a odd angel (it makes the rear not look right but it is ill take better pics when it rolls out side )

Fuel cell and power tank mounted

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
small up date.. only had like 2 two hrs to work on it over the weekend, the storage area is looking pretty big!

1 - 20 of 299 Posts