Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
do not use a '01 4.0 TPS on a '01 4.7. It will kinda work, but not really.

Stalling issue from TPS now fixed. Fuel pump is now having intermittent power issues. Ugh. I didn't even touch that.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It's been a while since the last update, but I've been plugging away at it. I did a couple more local trips, and first did some front tube fenders. They are 1.5x0.120 DOM with new inner fenders.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Another thing that's been bugging me for a while is that I would like to sink my fuel cell into the tub, but with the rear tube work, I couldn't. I also had the rear airshocks coming into the tub, but now that my daughters want to do some family trail riding in Northern Michigan and to the Silver Lake Dunes, so I've decided I want the shocks out of the tub.

So, we lopped off the rear tube work to replace it with 2x3x0.125 box and a 2x4x0.25 piece for the rear bumper. We made the box for my 2161A out of 3/16" plate to provide it some protection since it sits flush with the bottom of the frame.

I dove tailed the rear as a way to work around some lovin' provided by Can Opener at Harlan. Since the rear inner fenders were hacked, I chopped them out and will replace with some 20ga as well as boxing in the fuel cell. I grabbed a YJ seat in good shape at a swap meet, so I can square the inner fenders off and still fit the seat. Oh yeah, also grabbed a CJ tailgate.

Next up is touching up the lower frame side axle links and then remounting the air shocks.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just after Christmas I made a big push to get ready for some winter wheeling at Rocks & Valleys on Jan 2nd. I still had the tailgate bracing in and no heater and the inner fenders aren't done. But I made it.

I went back a few weeks later, but I installed my heater, tailgate, and finished the fuel cell hold downs.

On that trip I bought a used set of Timbren bump stops off a friend, and this weekend I worked on the mount on the driver's side. I took it for a test spin tonight and all seems to be working well. Now just to burn in the lower bump pad and then paint it and finish the passenger side.

After that I need to finish the inner fenders and fuel cell cover, and then bend up the new corner guards. After that I'll put the YJ seat in and I should be good for some more wheeling.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
So, was it worth it to swap in the 4.7? You did a nice job and the off the shelf parts that you painstakenly sifted through make this a very cool tech article.

I have one in an 05' Grand Cherokee and wouldn't look to it for a swap, it's just not enough bang for my buck.

I have less than $1500 in a non-stroked 4.0 and have more rwhp than the 4.7 has at the crank. I'm not bashing by any means, I would swap in a V-8 just for the exhaust tones!

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
So, was it worth it to swap in the 4.7? You did a nice job and the off the shelf parts that you painstakenly sifted through make this a very cool tech article.

I have one in an 05' Grand Cherokee and wouldn't look to it for a swap, it's just not enough bang for my buck.

I have less than $1500 in a non-stroked 4.0 and have more rwhp than the 4.7 has at the crank. I'm not bashing by any means, I would swap in a V-8 just for the exhaust tones!
The thing I like about the 4.7 is that it spins like crazy, which is nice for quick bursts on hill climbs. I enjoy that it's something different. It was fun pouring through manuals putting it together. I feel I've only gained ground on my stock 4.0 with nothing lost.

This was decent value V8 swap for me since I didn't have any of my money out of pocket for the engine, and came close to even after selling some of the stock parts to buy what I needed. With a few maintenance issues I found and now redoing the back half, I'm sure I shouldn't add up what I've got into it; but no worries there.

I like the shorter package of a V8 versus a L6, which allowed me to allow more uptravel. Also, most L6s I've seen don't like higher revs. Maybe Corey's or some of the other stroker gurus know how to make them rev, but I wasn't so interested to go that route knowing I'd be throwing some money at it, and since my stock 4.0 was in a different Jeep, and all I had was a dead 4.0.

Comparing to other Mopars V8s that would allow me to keep the stock gauges, I like the 4.7 better than Mangum 5.2 and 5.9s since I like the quick reving nature of it. I'm also not a big fan of the new Hemi, so that was out.

As a comparison to Gen3/4 Chevy engines, I know that for me it was cheaper to go this route for me since I would have likely gone GM auto and needed to convert my Atlas input for a few hundred more, plus driveshafts, plus gauges, plus, plus, plus.. but a friend has a 6.0 in a YJ that spanked me a long hillclimb, but he's +100hp so no surprise there.

To try and get some ground, I've thought about grabbing the HO parts from my friend and putting them on. I've been doing some reading about a 2008 intake (edit: not throttle body) that is supposed to help it breath. Based on readings of that combo from some Dakota boards, it could get me near the 300hp range. But right now I just want to wrap up this part of the build and enjoy it.

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
I've been doing alot of reading about upgrading of the 4.7, as I have one in my grand, and now my 2nd auto is giving me problems so I'm looking at a manual trans swap also. This is quite a thread man, Thanks!

Everything I've gathered has put Airram.com as the leader of 4.7 upgrades, the guy has collected gathered and built a ton of upgrades for these engines. For the 2008 intake swap, he sells a kit ($$$) That adapts the factory 20007-down throttle body to the 2008+ intake manifold as the '08 is electronic. They say pairing the HO cams with this intake manifold is a beastly combo that'll get you screamin in the higher rpms,and these heads take to porting well. The "upgraded" crank the HO got compared to the normal 4.7 is it being forged. Same dimensions from everything I have collected.

Another interesting idea that is purely theory as of now, the 2008 4.7's use the same head gaskets as all previous years. The heads should technically swap, but no one has gone through with it yet. The heads are completely redesigned, much better flowing. The combustion chamber was modified also though, and people don't know if there will be piston-valve contact with those heads.

OH and tuning. The SCT tuner airram sells, once you've put some money in the hardware the factory tune can't handle it for shit, this is something you should look into. I've also been talking to some of the actual tuners, and they have the capability to modify *some* parts of the PCM beyond tuning, you might be able to eliminate those codes your throwing. If you don't mind, which codes would those be that you are throwing?

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Thanks. Rear O2 and Evap. Maybe something else. It's been a couple of months, but it was no surprised based on what I do/don't have plugged in.

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
Reeeaaaaallly. The biggest factor that has been intimidating me is the computer work involved, but if you were able to simply use a dodge comp with the jeep harness modified, thats awesome to hear. And the lack of sentry key in the dodge setup simplifies things also.

In your searching, did you come across multiple different drivers side exhaust manifolds? That is a new setback to me, I'll have to look it over.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Reeeaaaaallly. The biggest factor that has been intimidating me is the computer work involved, but if you were able to simply use a dodge comp with the jeep harness modified, thats awesome to hear. And the lack of sentry key in the dodge setup simplifies things also.
Yep, one thing to be aware of, is that I believe they changed the crank tone wheel when they went to NGC, so it may not be all mix and match between years. But it 2001 JGC 4.7 and 2002 Dakota 4.7 in a TJ is working fine.

In your searching, did you come across multiple different drivers side exhaust manifolds? That is a new setback to me, I'll have to look it over.
I only saw the two styles. Even in aftermarket support there was not much without going custom. I think Gibson and somebody else made headers, but they were shorties, so it wouldn't be any different for packaging.

I didn't look at 08 and newer stuff, so maybe there's something there. I also remember seeing some header flanges, and thought that at worst, I could make up a custom header. In the end, the firewall mod was easier.

One thing I never thought of until now is that you could flip the exhaust from the pass side and run it upside down. I've seen a few buggies run crossover pipes over the engine (or around the front, but up higher) and that may work. I guess it would depend on how much room is under the hood.

·
Registered
806 Posts
if i was to do my swap all over again, i would of gone with a hemi....i swapped in a 4.7ho into my tj and it was a nightmare...but all is well three year later .....just need more power....:D

21 - 40 of 69 Posts