Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
if i was to do my swap all over again, i would of gone with a hemi....i swapped in a 4.7ho into my tj and it was a nightmare...but all is well three year later .....just need more power....:D
You should check out what airram offers man. Get some head work done along with an 08+ intake manifold and you will have a nice flowing setup. Also, everyone talks about how restrictive the factory Y-pipe is and how much it kills power, modify or replace it if you haven't already!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Ya ...i might as well slap a blower on it and be done......
Don't get me wrong i have some nice low end power and sounds sick with a flowmaster .....but the swap would of been so much easier with a hemi and one control module....

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
Time to bump this thread, I'm doing the swap in my WJ right now finally.
545RFE vs NV3500. (Just a link so I don't clutter the build thread)
http://agitatedpancake.com/random/jeep/radswap/dscn3926.jpg

I wouldn't mind those wiring diagrams you were talkin about man. I'm doing the exact same wiring harness thinning you did now. 2001 GC harness with 2003 Dakota PCM

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Not much happened with this rig in 2010. I spent most of my time working on another project with a buddy of mine. We raced a 1988 Grand Wagoneer at some TREC races at the Badlands in Indiana in the stock class.

The last time I had it out was in May, and I broke the frame side upper control arm bolt climbing the last rock at Purgatory at the Badlands. I've got to get it back together for some snow running. But it has been running good.

·
Registered
626 Posts
can you help me with 4.7 wiring ?

I am swaping in a 4.7 (2008) with 5 speed auto sequential into a YJ (92).
I need some help with the wiring, what sensors do the transmission and emgine share and what problems will I face with key lock and transfer case mission sensors.
I will use an ATLAS.
Thanks
I am really lost with this engine and cant get any info form Spain....
eduardo

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
yea you going to wheel it this year?
Yeah, I'm planning on taking it to Rausch Creek before the RCQ and do some riding before the race. 99% of my time is still going to the Wagoneer though.

I am swaping in a 4.7 (2008) with 5 speed auto sequential into a YJ (92).
I need some help with the wiring, what sensors do the transmission and emgine share and what problems will I face with key lock and transfer case mission sensors.
I will use an ATLAS.
Thanks
I am really lost with this engine and cant get any info form Spain....
eduardo
The theft key lock will likely be the biggest hassle. Let me dig through some notes and see what I can come up with for some wiring diagrams. I think I have some info from before I paired down the harness for the manual transmission.

Do you have the full harness and both stock computers?

Shoot me your email address and I'll try and get some info to you in a few days. There's a race this weekend, so it'll be after that.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Good news: I will be using my Jeep much more in 2012

Bad news: The next project is going to require lots of changes, and I am not moving forward with the 4.7. In the end, the hp/$ isn't there.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Curious did you ever bother modding the 4.7L?
No, looked into it, but it was cost prohibitive. I actually have a set of HO heads I could put on. Looked at the intake & throttle upgrade, too.

It was a fun engine for trail riding. It revs like a mofo.

5.3 or 6.0? :smokin:
We'll see. Working on details. Want 6.0 Afford 5.3. Same as everybody. :laughing:

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
Ahh no more 4.7? Thats no fun haha.

You have a set of HO heads laying around hmm? What kind of condition are they in, and if you're not using the 4.7 will you let them go? My jeep could use a little extra kick :D

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Bringing this up from the depths to update the current status of the jeep. Here's the one and only action pic from our first race. I skipped the front end off a rock in the first 5 minutes of the race and broke the D60 in half.

Base Vehicle: 2001 Jeep TJ Wrangler, 110" wheelbase, built to meet 2013 Ultra4 Modified chassis requirements by DEAK racing
PRP seats
RJS seat belts, window nets, and axle limit straps
Warn 8274 winch

Powertrain:
GM Gen3 6.0L V8 (LQ4) from 2006 Chevy Van, Harness by DEAK, Tuning by Frost
4L60E with TransGo 4L60E-3 Manual Valve Body, rebuilt by Tranny Tom
Atlas II with 4.3 Low Range
22-gallon fuel cell
24" x 19" radiator, 19" Grand Cherokee electric fan

Drivetrain:
Front: High Pinion Dana 60, 5.13 gears, lunch box locker, Chevy 3/4-ton rotors/calipers
Rear: GM 14-bolt, 5.13 gears, Detroit locker, Chevy 3/4-ton rotors/calipers

Suspension & steering:
3-link with panhard front, Triangulated 4-link rear
1988 Grand Wagoneer steering box with DEAK fabricated pitman arm, crossover style
14" travel 2.5" diameter PAC remote reservoir shocks
front: 150# / 200# PAC springs, 3" travel 2" diameter air bumps
rear: 100# / 175# PAC springs, 4" travel 2" diameter air bumps

Tires & wheels:
37" Goodyear MT/R on Allied beadlocks (for Ultra4 races) -or-
35" General Grabber short course tires on H2 wheels (for TREC races)

Here's a short video of it coming down Outer Limits when we went out to watch KOH 2013. Pretty happy with how it does on the rocks, especially since we were running the 35" short course tires. We have since put some 37 MTRs on the beadlocks and plan to put the 35s on some H2 for races that we can run non-DOT tires.

Neither Skinny Nor Pretty coming down Outer Limits - YouTube

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
For background, my buddy and I started racing in 2009 in TREC in their stock class in a Grand Wagoneer. It was a great learning experience. After two seasons the chassis was a patchwork of repairs, and we decided it was time to step up to the next class. At the same time the U4Mod rules were coming out, and the TREC organizers were talking about adopting the U4 rules.

We started the build in October 2011 thinking we'd be ready for the 2012 season. It ended up taking over a year to get the build done, but pretty happy with the end result. The only regret is having started with a stock TJ frame to meet the U4Mod rules of that timeframe. It would have been cheaper, easier, and had less compromises to start with a few sticks of 2x4 tube; but by time the new rules came out, we felt it wasn't worth the rework.

Since I had chopped up my stock frame over the years, it didn't meet the class rules so we found another frame locally. The guy had blasted and painted the frame and it looked pretty good. Unfortunately, once we started removing factory brackets we found some rust behind them.

Patched up and ready for lower control arm mounts.

We chopped the frame and stretched it out to make it possible to stretch the rear out to make the 110" wheelbase.

The front is pushed forward around 3" over stock, so the rear is pushed back about 13". The narrowed frame section is the same width as our fuel cell and made room for coil over clearance. This area is where it would have been good to have built to the 2012 U4mod rules from the start.

View of rear link setup from before we put frame extension on. Upper link mounts are frenched into top of the frame and double shear brackets hung on the inside.

We chopped the front of the frame off to make it level with the highest point for clearance. The motor is sitting in place on Novak motor mounts. (When I picked up the frame, I picked up some other stuff from the guy including the motor mounts, a 4L60E with the adapter I needed to mount my Atlas already installed, an Art Carr shifter, and few other small things.)

We went with cross over steering using a Wagoneer steering box. We started with a flat Astro van pitman arm after figuring out that it could get us lock to lock with the high steer arm we had. After stripping it out while coming down outer limits we have since fabricated our own arm that's double sheer. (It was our fault, it had gotten loose and we didn't catch it in time.) Front suspension is 3-link and panhard.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
With the chassis a roller, we got started on the cage. Main structure is 2" DOM to meet the rules for fat pigs. The decision about bigger tube was easier after being in the race at the Badlands that Smiley cart wheeled down the big jump and seeing the aftermath.

Started filling it in and starting on mounting shocks.

Underhood is 1.75 DOM.

Patching up the floor after we boat sided the jeep to try and get as much clearance on 37s in the rocks as we could.

Sitting on its own weight as we figured out corner weights.

Support tubes under hood:

Driver's side needed a kick to get around master cylinder.

Chassis stripped for final welding. This was just before Christmas and we had plans to head to KOH 13 to wheel and have fun.

Painted it so that it could dry over Christmas.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Reassembly starts.

Fuel cell mount in progress.

Interior pieces going in. Still using stock steering column that is stripped down with a quick disconnect steering wheel. Battery is mounted on the trans tunnel, but we need to get it in a box before the next race to meet the rules.

We ended up reusing my Warn 8274 winch.

We reused the stock air box from the van we got the motor from. We have splash shields in front of it, but it seems to be doing the job and keeping the intake clean.

After wiring got out of control on the last car, decided to make a panel for this one.

Axles rebuilt and under the jeep. Front mount 24x19 radiator with a 19" Jeep Grand Cherokee electric fan. We have used these on a number of projects with good luck.

Gauge panel wired up with a weather pack connector to make it easier to get it in and out of the rig.

Just after we got our springs from PAC. 150# / 200# up front, 100# / 175# out back.

We made it. Here's the jeep on my trailer the morning I dropped it off. We pulled 3 jeeps/buggies out to KOH 13 and back and wheeled all week long. It was a total blast.

About a month later we had our first TREC race. So we had to bust hump and get the bumps installed, finish off the body skins, and get a bunch of other safety items done to pass tech. I'll try and get pics of that later.

Well, that's enough updates from the past 2 years. See you in 2015! LOL

41 - 60 of 69 Posts