Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Project: 91 pickup sas

It's a 91 standard cab with around 200,000 miles on it, New tranny with about 500 miles on it and a new timing chain kit(22re Motor). It's a daily driver and still will be after the build so it's going to stay somewhat legal:D .

Plan's..

Sas w/4" kit(toy axel)
Chev'ys rear
Dual cases(eventually)
5:29's With detroit rear (eventually)
35" mtrs
Bilsteins(5150"s front and rear)

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Good feeling having that pile o shit sitting on the floor---isn't it :smokin:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good feeling having that pile o shit sitting on the floor---isn't it :smokin:
Yep, ran out of acetalene right at the end so it was all hammer!:smokin:
I wasn't going to bed with that shit still hanging from my truck!

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
What front axle are you using 44 or toy? snag the toy ifs calipers they are almost 2" longer then what is currently on the 85 axle. took me 2 stops to the auto parts store to figure out the previous owner had done the swap for me. just assumed it was all 85 prior to replacing....

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So i finished up the sas yesterday, going to have to lift the rear . I took it for a test drive and it handles really nice on the road, better than the ifs. here are some pics

Getting the frame all cleaned up and the motar mount gussets welded on

Welding the frame tubes in for the shackles(used a torch to cut the holes out)

Tacking the front hanger on

Getting the springs on

Mounting the axel

Checking shakel angle with weight on it

Fully welding the front hanger on.

Weleding on the shock hoops, mounting the shocks

Then i had to do all the finishing touches like bled the brakes etc
Here are somme of the pics of it all done with the 35's

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thaks for all of the kind words guys

I am going to be redoing the rear perches to get a better pinion angle (once i get my final ride height) and i was wondering what is the best way to determine where to weld your perches by first knowing what would be the best pinion angle. I have heard just point the pinion at the transfercase, is this true? Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thaks for all of the kind words guys

I am going to be redoing the rear perches to get a better pinion angle (once i get my final ride height) and i was wondering what is the best way to determine where to weld your perches by first knowing what would be the best pinion angle. I have heard just point the pinion at the transfercase, is this true? Thanks.
nice work thanx for the info . wanna do mine?

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
if you're running a CV on the d-shaft then point the pinion at the t-case output. if you're running u-joints, you want the outputs parallel. of course there's going to be a little grey area there as you have to look at axle wrap under acceleration and deceleration too.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Driveline-101.shtml

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
http://thenuclearworldwar.com/moscow.html

if you're running a CV on the d-shaft then point the pinion at the t-case output. if you're running u-joints, you want the outputs parallel. of course there's going to be a little grey area there as you have to look at axle wrap under acceleration and deceleration too.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Driveline-101.shtml
Yea i am going to be running the stock driveline ( non cv) entill i get the duals. I am getting this ringing noise on deceleration from the driveline ever since i put the chevys on, possibly just shitty u-joints?.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts