Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 1275 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well hardcore is pretty relative and compared to my single seat tube buggy this isn't what I would term "hardcore". However, I started 4wheelin' with a 1977 CJ7 that I fully restored back in highschool and coming full circle with a little more experience, I am having fun building this YJ. So anyway here is some pics of the build thus far. Plan is at least a 37" tire (hoping for 40's) with 3" suspension drop from stock and 3/4" body lift to accomodate for the flat belly. Full width 9 inch with 5.43 gears and 4 link rear. Front full width 9/44 hybrid with 5.43's and 3 link. Rear 4 link still needs some tab bridging and other detail work but you get the point. I also need to clearance the floor for the upper links to travel up and regear the third. I will be building the fuel cell next week. So here's what I got thus far. Let me know if ya got any questions
lower link chassi cross member

Lower link tabs

At ride height

Full droop

Ride height link angle

·
Paying for others
1,611 Posts
Nice job. I needed to tunnel my body out the same way you did, but I did not have the body lift so it went all the way back. You did it cleanly and the links look good nice and flat like that.:smokin:

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Started working on the fuel cell today.
Cut the hole so that the rear seat should still fit.

Bent up a cover to cradle the fuel cell and keep the fumes away.

Underside shot.

Finished and painted.

Rear shot, left a few inches between tailgate and cell cover for jumper cables, wrenches, etc...

Top view

Started the fuel cell. Just gotta tig the top on and a couple of bungs. I'm using the stock vent dinguses and the fuel pump/sender unit.

And finally a side shot. Basically the cell will slide up into the cradle from down below and I'll fab. some cool brackets to support it on the bottom.

Hope to finish the fuel cell tomarrow and finish the frame tubing out the back.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Got some more done today. Patched up where I had to clearance for the links, and finished off the fuel cell.

If YJ buildups are old news let me know and I'll quit posting.
:confused:

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
TeenyCAR said:
No its okay just put the

code on photobucket soo we could see the pics with out all the chicking lol

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks, hope that is a bit more convenient for everyone.
Maybe tomarrow I can get some frame rail extensions in so I can start mounting the airshocks and the capture mount for the fuel cell. Never enough time in the day!

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
TeenyCAR said:
Thanks, hope that is a bit more convenient for everyone.
Maybe tomarrow I can get some frame rail extensions in so I can start mounting the airshocks and the capture mount for the fuel cell. Never enough time in the day!
Ya its way better for lazy people like me :D . well keep up the great work

eric

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the YJ before you started this project? those are always cool to look at for the before and after effects.. :cool:

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I didn't take any pics of it when I brought it home, but here is what it looked liked when I finished pulling the fenders and putting 37's on it to see where I needed to locate the new axles. I"m not sure why it was sitting so ass high. The body cleared the 37's by 1/16 of an inch in the rear with the quarter panels uncut. I trimmed the fenders as much as possible, but the tires were 1 1/2 inches away from hitting them so off they came. I want the jeep to have about 6 inches of uptravel with 3 inch suspension drop.

·
Registered
15,321 Posts
I have soo much wood right now. You are going to exact same place I'm planning on going. Well and I'm thinking about cutting 2" off just the grill.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
teenycar

another very smart build! i like your goals, very low, but still able to go fast.

what motor you running?

is this your desert runner, daily driver, or just needed another challenge, and when is "the Mall" gonna open?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
6 cylinder HO 4.0 for now. I need something licenced and registered to wheel with the friends who don't have buggies. I guess I like the challenge, but I also missed cruising around with no top. This build is a little more fun because it won't get totally trashed in a year so I'm trying to take what little time I have to make it a little nicer. It might be overkill for Big Bear type wheelin', but I'm hoping it will be a bit different than what one usually sees in a built jeep. I guess we'll see?

1 - 20 of 1275 Posts