Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Project Adventure DirtyMax

Well I have been working on this project for about 5 weeks since the opportunity came up to go and mess around in Baja in April.
Since all of the BS about what is and isn't a Expo rig I decided to Call it a Adventure Machine :flipoff2:

Anyways What I am working with is a 2003 Chevy 2500HD Duramax w/ ZF6 Trans 4x4 Ext. cab Short bed. The truck was basically stock until over baby Jesus B-Day I did the following.

Cognito 4-6" Non Torsion Bar Drop
Cognito UCA
Bilstiens
3" block in the rear
Cognito front CV driveline
Spicer upper and lower Ball Joints
GM Pitman and Idler Assm.
Both Timken unit bearings from Dmax store
All new energy Double shoulder bushings on LCA
New Cognito UCA bushings
Both Torsion bar crossmember bushing mounts
New Cooper STT 35x12.50R17
Fuel Hostage wheels

Disclaimer: I'm not religious if you can't tell

Then this trip came up and I knew the truck was to the task but would come home beat. So I decided to do the following since I knew it was heavy and way under shocked/sprung. I don't PLAN on every catching air in this thing since it ways 6500 lbs empty. But I had to do something so it can at least try and soak up the big hits and rough roads better without beating the truck up too bad all with of the shelf parts so replacement are easy to come by and a little fab time.

Things that need to be done/bought

Suspension-

Updated Cognito NTBD brackets
Fox 2.5 remote resi Shocks
Deaver p/n G7 rear 4" Springs
New Bumps GM- 15835667
Better Rear Bumps dunno yet
2 new CV shafts

Steering-

Center link and tierods from DmaxStore
RedHead Steering gear

Other parts/things to do:

Fab a single shock hoop for the front shocks.
Finish front bumper install lights and winch
build Rear swing tire/ water can carrier/ rear bumper a Total rip off of Matt Heltons Hi 5-0 rack. Why change it's perfect in my eye's.
more HID lights
build Swing out mount for fridge in the bed
mount 2 spare yellow top Optima's where spare tire is under bed.
Better CO2 mount
Lube storage box from artec ind.
Kill switch/anti theft device. Maybe some flame throwers:D
battery hold downs, stock one are crap.
Mount the Lowrance GPS better
Mount for Action Packer
Wiring lots of it
Limit straps
Modify CanBack Top
Service and prep the whole truck.

I never made out a budget for this stage since there is no point of having one since I won't stick to it anyways.:D

I'm sure that I am missing some things. Here is how it sat in the beginning of stage 2

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
First thing I did, which I should have done in the beginning is get some rear springs from Deaver. Those things are definitely worth the $1k they cost. Night and day difference. Everybody I talked to said the best set up off of the shelf was a Deaver 4" lift spring with a 2" drop shackle. I also did a Ubolt flip with plates from Ruff Stuff and had some 5/8" ubolts made.

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The next part was the hard. Nobody I could get a hold of has ever put 2.5 8" FOX resi's under one of these so I was totally shooting blind on Valving. I was lucky enough to get with Scott from Dirt-Fab.com to help me with this project. He was the only guy I talked to that didn't say "Yeah I'll sell you a shock but valving is on you" Scott called Fox talked to Todd about which valving would work best for a good starting point. So he hooked me up with the shocks now I just need to build some hoops and get them to fit in there all while trying to keep as much of my inner fender wells as possible. With all of the electronics under the hood It's vital to keep them covered as much as possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next on my list was a place to store the spare tire and some water cans. After seeing Matt Heltons carrier he built for the Hawaii 5-0 truck I knew that's exactly what I wanted to build. I used his as my template and added a few things of my own. I ordered the Mega tire carrier spindles from AtoZ Fab. Some Locking Latches and locking pins from McMaster Carr.

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brett, I did. I'm back trcking the build a lil bit to get up to the current state. The pics of the rear bumper are from about a month ago. I should have the build thread up to date today if I can get my pics to upload.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Current state of the rear bumper/carrier. I need to make a mount for the Co2 tank and some baskets for the h2o cans and that part will be wrapped up.

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Tonight I need to get rid of the stock steering since it's a joke. I got this Competition Series from Dmaxstore.com I was lucky to get this steering kit since he was sold out of the reg center link and tie rods. He has only made a few for his sponsored pulling trucks and this was the display model in his show room. The center link is 1 5/8" the tie rod ends are a based off of a Ford one ton end I believe. I already have the Cognito Pitman/Idler steering brackets on there so this should top it off for a beefy steering setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also need to make some thing to hold the fridge and action packer down. A pic of the canback on and loaded trying to figure out the best configuration for things in the bed. Also my son Hank ready and waiting to head to Baja.

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice! Keep it coming, you're saving me some head scratching. Already added a few things to my list. :beer:
What are you working with?

I have a way more in depth build thread over on http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412290
The other one goes into a lot more detail about the little things that pertain to the Chevy 2500HD platform.
If you have any questions just ask I have a shit load of pics also.

·
Registered
486 Posts
same year as yours but short cab/ long bed and gasser/ slushbox.
A reliable kill device is something I hadn't given much consideration, it'll be interesting to see what you came up with.

A poly water tank under the toolbox with an rv pump in it, plumbed to the outside for pressure water is what im working on for desert runs. 5 gallons makes for a decent shower.

wish i was headed for baja. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
cool build, i like how you used the dimples as traction for the step on the bumper. front shock mounts look very good as well. plans for the rear shocks? bump stops? when i took my old GMC pickup down to baja it seemed like airbumps would have made it work a lot better. there just isn't enough up travel stock and you blow through it, but those big shocks will help a lot once you get them valved.

do those steering end links fit onto the factory center link? my pops has one of those GMCs and i can't believe how pinner the steering is for such a heavy truck!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cool build, i like how you used the dimples as traction for the step on the bumper. front shock mounts look very good as well. plans for the rear shocks? bump stops? when i took my old GMC pickup down to baja it seemed like airbumps would have made it work a lot better. there just isn't enough up travel stock and you blow through it, but those big shocks will help a lot once you get them valved.

do those steering end links fit onto the factory center link? my pops has one of those GMCs and i can't believe how pinner the steering is for such a heavy truck!
The Rear is getting a pair of Fox2.0 remote resi's because they are on the shelf and bolt on. When we return from baja and time is more on my side I will be putting a set of FOX 2.5's with different/better mounting. I really just don't have time to mess with them right now. The uptravel right now in the front it at abut 4.5" and about 5.5-6" on the drop out at Ride height, It's not a lot but that's all I have to work with at the moment . I am hooping to squeeze 11" of use able wheel travel out of it from strapped to bumped. With these truck's it is really up to how you set it up.

The steering on this thing is kinda special. They only made a few of these kits for the trucks they sponsor. This kit uses larger Tie rod ends so you have to ream out the knuckles for them. They do make a full on replacement bolt on center link & tie rods for them that is well made and strong. They also just sell the tie rods that bolt on to the factory center link. I opted for comp series full kit because they were sold out of the regular kit and he had this kit on display in the show room. So I begged and pleaded for him to sell it to me.:D

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hear you on a good tuned suspension. I just wish I knew how to revalve and tune shocks. That would make things easier for sure.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah Eric and Bob look ready to go. I moving along. Last weekend I finished up the front end 95%. Had it aligned and all the rotors turned on Monday. I just have to fasten up the brake lines and install the limit straps.

Monday night I made up a basket for the water cans on the carrier.

Last night I made a mount in the cab for the Lowrance GPS.

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wheel well liners on, some paint, Steering is on. I had to for go some things. Took the bumper off. I don't have time to finish it like I would like. Steps are coming off. I don't really need them since I and dropping it down another 1.5" or so. Or should I say I don't need them but the ole lady would like them on.
I just have a bunch of little things to finish and waiting on some parts.

Dual battery mount from Artec Ind. will be here fri. for the yellow tops for fridge/welder. Need to run some wire back for that and a Solenoid.

Add a couple lights out back.
One more water can basket.
Finish fridge mount.
Make some tie down points in the bed.
Limit straps
Paint rear carrier
Pack and hit the road:D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts