Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 477 Posts

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
So my last build thread didn't get finished I think mostly due to the fact that I sold the rig and lost interest in it.
Here it is if you missed it: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586953&highlight=

Long story short.......
I loved my last rig, but shortly after I built it my Father took his life, leaving me with a huge mess to deal with. I took a huge hit financially and quickly decided that my family deserved better and that I would never leave my kids with anything but fond memories and financial security should something happen to me.

I was disgusted with myself that I had spent so much on my toys and not a more secure future for my family. At this point in my life, I swore off toys and walked away from wheeling altogether.

So, I sold all my toys and started a company. It has been alot of work but it also has paid me back well.
After a few years of really hard work, I now have financial security for my family as well as a good life insurance policy.:)

So after a long stint of swearing off wheeling (mostly due to the ridiculous politics involved) I have had a relapse...
Ya know what they say, Jeeps are more addicting than heroin.....:flipoff2:

This build is also A tribute to my Father, If it wasn't for his tragedy, i wouldn't have had the drive to make my life so much better.

The name Animal I got from a toy that I found in my Dad's Backhoe (he ran a backhoe service for 35 years), It is a small replica of the drummer from the Muppet show, his name was Animal and it was my Dad's favorite character.:smokin:

·
11,307 Posts
Bear!!!!

Man it is great to hear from you! I am really sorry again for your loss, but glad you took the good form the bad and it influenced you in a positive direction.

definitely keep it coming, interested in finding out what the plans are!

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
She had a good running 4.0 with 150K on the ticker, 5 speed and NP231.

This rig also had an interesting story behind it....
I bought it from a very nice lady.
She didn't want to sell it for sentimental reasons, but could not fix it either so she decided to find a buyer.
After a few offers, I met with her and explained my intentions, she agreed to sell it to me based on the fact that I was planning on enjoying it for years to come.
Ya see, her and her husband had it from new and they would go into the hills and just really enjoy themselves in it, many good times.
Then one day her and her husband went for a walk down the street and one of their neighbors who was a Nam Vet, went crazy and shot at both of them. He died from the incident and she was not hurt.:(
While she was at the funeral, someone broke into her house and stole the jeep, then wrecked it.
She was very adamant that this is a special rig and that it could not go to just anyone.
I paid her and loaded it up. When it is finished, I am going to pick her up and take her out for a day in it.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Cool you were able to better your life. :smokin:
I like how your last rig turned out :grinpimp: , what's the plan for this one, mild or wild?

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I quickly began assembling parts for the build and git to work...

One Ton's
Dana 60/14 Bolt

Got her in the garage and started to tear away the bad stuff.

Cleaned her up and it doesnt look too bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Started on the 14 bolt first.
Cut all the bracets off and welded the tubes to the center, then cleaned it up really nice...:grinpimp:

Then ground the shit out of the bottom to smooth it.
I dont like cutting the bottom off, just seems like too much work for little gain.

Got a fresh coat of pain on it just before it started raining.

Shaved off a good inch or so.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
glad to see ya building again. I kept a picture of your old rig on the wall in the garage for inspiration during the new build. Yep, the new build has flames.

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
welcome back to the fun. sometimes taking a step back can lead you in a better direction.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the kind words guys and it is very flattering to inspire others.

Im not giving away all the goodies yet but I will say that this rig is going to be out-of-control! Maybe even literally:laughing:

I have big plans for this one and the maiden voyage will be in Moab at EJS in a little over a month.:eek:

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
glad to see ya building again. I kept a picture of your old rig on the wall in the garage for inspiration during the new build. Yep, the new build has flames.
Im sorry but that thing just looks SICK!!:smokin:

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rear 4 link mount

Boogers are getting slightly better.

Picked up some H2's

And some 42" Rubber

You can see the jeep starting to smile already:D

Parts!

Lower link mounts

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cutting to make room for the rubber

Gone

I thought about putting this in..........nah, too heavy

Gonna be long, shooting for 117" wb

Frame mounts welded together

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have always had a problem with losing beads so after a bit of research, I went with a company called Inner Air Lock ( http://www.innerairlock.com ).

Similar to Stauns but less expensive and they seem to be slightly better built IMO.

As they arrived

The system.

You need to drill anoth hole in the rim for the innertube, I decided to counter-sink mine slightly.

Installation sucks if you dont know how to mount tires yourself, the tire monkeys at your local shop will probably shoot you if you ask them to do this for you.:laughing:

Its simple though once you get the hang of it.

*Mount inner bead
*Lube your tube with white powder
*Install tube
*Install bead keeper
*Install outer bead

Ta-Da...green cap for beadlock, black for tire pressure.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rear Link Mounts tacked into place

Decided to take a litttle more off the rear to help with the rediculous offset of these H2 wheels.

Mocked up, Now we're getting somewhere!

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the mounts from a vendor hat I would rather not say, I will save you the trouble of trying to deal with him.:(

1 - 20 of 477 Posts