Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Having the heims in a horizontal plane allows them to take the side to side force correctly instead of side loading the heim. Lots of desert trucks go this route.
There's no side loading of joints or links in a 4 link, just tension & compression - push & pull. With the exception of lower links dragging rocks. In Wishbone style suspensions the joints see side loads but not in a 4 link. Seems like all this would do is possibly limit the travel of the joints. I'm sure you'll be fine though. Nice build

·
Registered
409 Posts
There's no side loading of joints or links in a 4 link, just tension & compression - push & pull. With the exception of lower links dragging rocks. In Wishbone style suspensions the joints see side loads but not in a 4 link. Seems like all this would do is possibly limit the travel of the joints. I'm sure you'll be fine though. Nice build
Wrong. Though most are set up the other way and live just fine, mine included. As long as you run a decent size joint you're ok either way. If the upper links are controlling lateral movement of the axle and the joints are vertical, it is a side load. An engineer would say it's not ideal to side load the heim joint.

·
Registered
409 Posts
An engineer would say that a linkage with two pin connections cannot carry a side load and all loads will be along the axis between the two joints.
Might as well not use a bearing then. Just use 3 tabs. On engineering paper it works fine.

The bearing of the heim is only captured by the body of the heim on one axis. If it's vertical and trying to control side to side movement then some of the load is being put on the part of the bearing that isn't supported by the body of the heim. The way the OP has it set up is the strongest. Look at trophy truck a arms. Sure they could get more travel if they set the uniball up vertical, but it isn't the strongest way. And depending on bolt size, you can get a whole lot of mis alignment out of a heim, to achieve travel.

·
NERD
8,622 Posts
The design is fine, provided pinion angle change doesn't exceed the travel of the heim. All the links are in push/pull, no side load. The design of a triangulated four link or a track bar eliminates side load. The axle wouldn't locate itself without proper track bar or triangulation without it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
All the links are in push/pull, no side load. The design of a triangulated four link or a track bar eliminates side load. The axle wouldn't locate itself without proper track bar or triangulation without it.
Correct... IF the the upper link mounts stay perfectly alligned with the links throughout the entire range of travel. ;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
An engineer would say that a linkage with two pin connections cannot carry a side load and all loads will be along the axis between the two joints.
Might as well not use a bearing then. Just use 3 tabs. On engineering paper it works fine.

The bearing of the heim is only captured by the body of the heim on one axis. If it's vertical and trying to control side to side movement then some of the load is being put on the part of the bearing that isn't supported by the body of the heim. The way the OP has it set up is the strongest. Look at trophy truck a arms. Sure they could get more travel if they set the uniball up vertical, but it isn't the strongest way. And depending on bolt size, you can get a whole lot of mis alignment out of a heim, to achieve travel.
"Three tabs" would fuck it all up because it would impart a side load.

It cannot support a side load in any orientation because it is a spherical rod end.

I don't have a trophy truck.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
yawn....

will you homos go start your own thread so Mike can get on with his build? I have to see what I am going to have to tow off the trail :D

·
Premium Member
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
yawn....

will you homos go start your own thread so Mike can get on with his build? I have to see what I am going to have to tow off the trail :D
hahah thank you, and thank you in advance for the tow :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Some distraction away from my "never will work" rear link setup:

·
Premium Member
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Everything is custom made for this build.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice,
The Geiser Bro's have ran the upper heim's flat on a few of their TT's and they held up just fine.
Does your builder sell the lower rear arms?

·
Premium Member
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Nice,
The Geiser Bro's have ran the upper heim's flat on a few of their TT's and they held up just fine.
Does your builder sell the lower rear arms?

They are built specifically for my Jeep, but if you know what length you need in sure he could build you some. His number is on his website nvfab.com

21 - 40 of 246 Posts