Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What did you expect......Project kitty.......:flipoff2:

This is going to be a long thread with just about every hurdle/build/failure/install and broken part that this 93 wrangler has gone through in the last 3 years.

It now is a buggy in Jeeps clothing:evil:

Just to keep interest, I'll post before and after pics before I get started (this post could take a while:flipoff2:)

Before:

And Now:

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I picked her up in San Fransisco from a guy that had her since she was brand new, it had never been offroad and had 100Kmi on the HO 4.0 with the manual 5 speed.
His new wife forced the sale, his loss, my gain.(if he only knew:laughing:)

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After owning her for a month I decided to start some minor mods.

fullsize blazer axles, soa, 33's and a dana 300

12 bolt (3.73's gov lock)

and the 44(3.73's open)

Cleaning it (shades required)

And then the paint

And thanks to 66cjdean for milling and drilling my flattops.

The hotrod look, I should put wheelie bars on it.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally finished the steering... 3 pitman arm pullers and a breaker bar later :eek:

I got the arm and studs from TonyK and 66cjdean reamed the pitman arm....very nice!!
The drag link was rednecked the old school way and the tie rod has a slight bend but they'll do untill I can afford better

I cut about a foot out of another tie rod I had and butt welded them together and then sleeved it and welded the ends[redneck]

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now for the t-case
The Dana 300 will bolt up in place of the stock 231 with either a 7/8 spacer or a sealed bearing and some grinding.
I did the sealed bering and grinding way because I was already over budget on this project and the extra 1" of DL won't hurt.
I did not clock it at this time

Before

compare

Same bolt pattern and spline count

The problem

After some research I figured out I could use a sealed bearing, shave the tranny mainshaft and shave the bearing retainer on the D300.

The sealed bearing pressed on next to the old bearing

I kept shaving then checking for clearance.

Untill it looked like this

and fit flush, this will be the new seal between the tranny and the t-case.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This seal has to be removed also ;)

The tranny mainshaft needs to be ground down too ;D

Everything installed in the t-case and ready to bolt up 8)

It bolted up with no problem [smiley=biggrin.gif]

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I decided to use the stock skid and modify it a bit

Then all installed

Then I ran it for 1/2 hr........It works purrrfect and no leak's

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put the shifter in but the hole will stay untill I make twin sticks.
It still came out pretty good for a temp shifter

The hole I made

Now with the D300's original shifter, it came way too far into the Pass seat.

So I cut it and welded the stock NP231 shifter to it.

And the stock boot fit well after i flipped it around

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This time around it is getting a SM465, more lift, and some 35's

I'll start with pics of the monster that will find its new home in my YJ.
All of the hydro clutch parts(from PartsMike) bolted right up to the AA bellhousing

And now with the Dana 300 attached. Note the nice clocking position(I still redrill the adapter later

Now for a little side by side comparo...The 465 weighs around 3 X's as much as the Ax-15 but comes in at close to 3" shorter.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mounted up with the x-member.

I found these tires/wheels for $125
They need a grooving though......(later)

They are a bit wider than the 33's

Some rusty wheels

A little window cleaner and steel wool and they cleaned right up.

This is with half of it cleaned.

And all done.

Its all about the bling

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With bigger tires I definatly needed more lift.

I have a pair of waggy springs, many wrangler leafs, the second leaf from my 6" blazer springs, and some other misc. springs and leaves laying around.

I decided to put the waggy's up front.

This is before, note how close the tire is to the front flare.

This is with a waggy spring on the close side.
The waggys are a bit longer, giving a better shackle angle and also push the axle forward a bit for more wheel base.

This is after the waggy's were installed in the front.
Compare to the pic above with the stock wrangler springs and you can see not only the lift but also how far it pushed the axle forward.( the lighting suck in the first pic so its hard to tell, but its the only side shot I have)

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally built some twin sticks for the 300

Simply cut, drill, twist and bolt it together.:flipoff2:

Then I found a couple of shifters (from my ax-15 and the stock dana 300 ) and welded them on.

Then I had that huge hole in the floor.

Just to share a little advice......... DO NOT blast through deep puddles with a hole in the floor, I got soaked as did my radio and cell phone:laughing:

After that I decided to cover that hole up.

I think it turned out sweet and will look even better when I get the tub lined.

The permanant part

And with it all bolted together, Now all I need are boots

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
OK, now for the grooving...
The 35" sx's are a good tire but these were at the wear bars (what did you expect for $100).
I love snow wheeling so out came the groover....

After an attempt to groove them with a 4" grinder and waisting 2 days of my life on 1/2 of a tire and making a huge mess I decided that would not cut it (no pun intended).

When I recieved a generous offer from a friend to let me use his groover, I jumped at the opportunity. This groover was not just any groover though, it is THE groover (rillfit4). It cuts through rubber like a knife through butter.

Because I like to be different and had the tool to do so, I did some experementing with the groover.
With it being winter and doing alot of winter wheeling, snow traction was a priority.
The trick to snow is two things......surface area and grabbing edges.
The surface area keeps you afloat while the more edges to grip the snow the better.
With that in mind I decided that instead of just grooving in a straight line, I would use a "sawing" motion, moving the groover side to side giving me more edges.
It worked awesome!
Instead of just a slice in the tread I now have "teeth" that will now help with traction.
Here is a pic of what I am talking about.

As you can see, I also gained 1/2" of much needed tread.

On the outer lugs, I grooved them from the outside edge torwards the middle, starting high then digging down to match the rest of the groove depths in the center.
Not grooving the outer edge keeps them from chunking.

A better pic

Now most people would be happy with those results and call it quits, not me though
Remember the surface area/edge theory.
I had the surface area with a tire that is well over a foot wide but I wanted more biting edges.

I swapped to a smaller cutting blade and adjusted the depth to only 1/4" and did some useful siping.
Each block in the center of the tire got treated to an X shape but again, instead of cutting strait through I gave em a wiggle pattern (every little bit helps right).

For the outside lugs, I cut them in a directional pattern with the same narrow cutting bit.
I did this with the thought that running a directional pattern backwards (opposite of mud) would pack snow under the tires keeping them afloat in a slow crawl.

The finished tread

After it was all said and done, I now have over 1/2" of tread and my tire are 15 lbs. lighter

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I just picked up some 44's that are a bit more worn then i expected. How much did you groove down at the wear bars? Also, is the spot where you grooved in the middle (see pic bellow) the same depth as the regualr part of the tire? Meaning could you groove deeper then the wear bar a bit? Last, which number blade did you use for the big cuts? thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
Definately a cool thread. I like how you show the start to finish transition. Also very cool, low budget way to mate the D300 to the tranny. Good work:D

1 - 20 of 88 Posts