Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 750 Posts

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been collecting parts for this buggy since September, and finally started on it a couple weeks ago. I am building it to pass tech for KOH for a safety standpoint, and just in case I get lucky and qualify. Here are the specs:

-2002 f-body ls1 with 30K miles
-1992 chevy NV4500
-Atlas 3.0 driver drop case with 1350 single yokes
-1 piece driveshafts f/r from carolina driveline
-1987 ford HP 60 with stock 4.10s, RCV shafts, SOLID knuckles, 2.5" ram behind the axle. lock-right locker
-88 14 bolt SRW rear with MAD MAC's shafts, stock 4.10s and detroit.
-20" polished walker evans wheels
-42" SX2's
-14" ORI ST Struts
-2" lower 7075 links, 1.5" uppers with 1.25" lower johnny joints and 1" uppers
-Corbeau Ultra wide seats
-32 gallon Jaz bladder

8" uptravel on the ORIs, should be a 19 or 20" belly and 73 or 74" to the top of cage.
Main tubing is 1.75" .120 DOM, cross bracing is 1.25" .095 and there is a little 1.5" and 3/4" in there too

Im using a grill from a Mercedes SL500

Here are buildup pics thus far

Attachments

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Attachments

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more

Attachments

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chassis is 56" wide, and 48" wide at the roof

Attachments

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Bro, don't run 4.10's with those big ass tires, especially if you want to race long distance. Hi range will suck ass, trust me. 4.56's and 39's and I got nothing in high range..

Build looks good, sure it will be cool

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You sure you wana run those Rockers, I heard a story today about you,Sam and Will gettin showed up.:D

Buggy looks good, you know that A-Pillar is gonna fold up:flipoff2:
Cole, I really do like the rockers since Ive run them on the TJ. I know they will not outperform a redlabel (except in mud or snow) but I love the durability of them compared to the reds, plus I wanted to run a 42" tire.

I will be adding wind wing bars behind the A. I doubt those A pillars are going anywhere :p

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bro, don't run 4.10's with those big ass tires, especially if you want to race long distance. Hi range will suck ass, trust me. 4.56's and 39's and I got nothing in high range..

Build looks good, sure it will be cool

I already did the math. Stock 4.10s are stronger and I will run in low range all the time. Rev limiter will be about 75 mph. It wont see high range much if ever

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Pics of the Benz grill at LEAST :flipoff2:

Looks nice for now...

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
The rolled A pillar just adds something differant, that looks cool:D

What made the decision for the manual? I thought I was one of the last hold outs.

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks good man. Looking forward to more progress pics.

What's your plan for a hold-down for the fuel cell?
havent gotten that far yet, in fact the fuel cell hasnt even showed up...should be in this week. I plan on supporting the bottom and doing a alum plate under it, and the top part will bolt down somehow. It will be directly behind the seats against the harness bar.

The rolled A pillar just adds something differant, that looks cool:D

What made the decision for the manual? I thought I was one of the last hold outs.
I'm sure I will catch hell for running the manual, but I have always wheeled one and love the reliability, and simplicity factor (though I realize anything can break).

1 - 20 of 750 Posts