Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 750 Posts

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Looking good. What are your plans for a clutch, anything sprecial?
I used an nv4500 bellhousing, extended pilot bushing, GM 4.3/6.0 flywheel, stock pressure plate, clutch disc, master and slave. I ran a centerforce clutch disc in the TJ and it is a little too sticky when crawling in the rocks.

·
nice roach.
5,739 Posts
Kinda looks like a smart car in the sideview with no front clip on it. :flipoff2: Looking forward to the rest of the build. :smokin:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Pics of my Mercedes I built in 2004-2005.. My second Mercedes is in the process currently and hopefully will be done in a monthor so..

Will be cool to see another Mercedes out there.

·
Premium Member
11,119 Posts
I love the NV4500 in my rig - they are a world apart from the 4-speed crashboxes.

Mine's set up with similar ratios...2.62:1 low range, 4.56 in the axle. I hit around 65 MPH at redline which works out great for the races around here...there are very few spaces where you can hold that speed for any length of time.

Does yours have the 6.xx:1 1st gear?

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
I already did the math. Stock 4.10s are stronger and I will run in low range all the time. Rev limiter will be about 75 mph. It wont see high range much if ever
Another thought, I ran 4.10's with my 39" reds. Your right on the gear strength but its not something I would do again if I could help it. My rig was alot more of a POS than yours but I had a hard time keeping driveshafts together, and was constantly at Carolina Driveline with fixes. If I did it all again I would risk some gear strength to ease up on the shafts.

The build is looking pretty badass!
________
Washington medical marijuana dispensaries

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
subscribed...

i see you use the same axle protection as i "rust"

:flipoff2:
I sandblasted the axles back in the fall. needless to say they sat outside partially under a tarp all winter :shaking:

I will probably run the wire wheel over them when finished and POR-15 them.

I love the NV4500 in my rig - they are a world apart from the 4-speed crashboxes.

Mine's set up with similar ratios...2.62:1 low range, 4.56 in the axle. I hit around 65 MPH at redline which works out great for the races around here...there are very few spaces where you can hold that speed for any length of time.

Does yours have the 6.xx:1 1st gear?
Ya I have a np435 in the TJ...its nearly bulletproof but hates speed shifting. The '92 4500's have the 6.34 first ratio so low end crawl ratio will be 77.99 and high end in low will be 8.98. The overdrive in the 4500 definitely helps out on the top speed in low range.

Another thought, I ran 4.10's with my 39" reds. Your right on the gear strength but its not something I would do again if I could help it. My rig was alot more of a POS than yours but I had a hard time keeping driveshafts together, and was constantly at Carolina Driveline with fixes. If I did it all again I would risk some gear strength to ease up on the shafts.

The build is looking pretty badass!
Thanks Bach, there is no going back on my gear choice now...If I go deeper in the axles my top speed will come down too much, plus I don't want to dish out money for new gears if I don't have to.

What problems did you have with Tom's shafts? I will be running heavy wall single cardan 1350s with with hardened splines -I think they will be okay...If not I will have storage in the rig for spare front and rear shafts. The other nice thing about the 4.10's is they will keep the driveshaft RPM's down some.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Really great looking lines!

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Thanks Bach, there is no going back on my gear choice now...If I go deeper in the axles my top speed will come down too much, plus I don't want to dish out money for new gears if I don't have to.

What problems did you have with Tom's shafts? I will be running heavy wall single cardan 1350s with with hardened splines -I think they will be okay...If not I will have storage in the rig for spare front and rear shafts. The other nice thing about the 4.10's is they will keep the driveshaft RPM's down some.
We had a guy with a 203/205 setup, 40's and 3.73's with single cardon 1410 shafts.

The 60 pinion proved to be the weak link, shearing just ahead of the yoke splines dropping the pinion head into the housing and binding the front end up solid.

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I was wondering when this was going to show up... looks kick-ass.

Jeff
I can't thank you enough for turning those links out Jeff, they turned out awesome. I need to get you the measurements for the tie rods.

I was burning in the front link brackets and the Hobart ran out of wire, had to call it a night early :mad3:

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Tonight I got the front link tabs about finished up. I ran the numbers for the front link setup and it is about 56% anti-dive (at ride height/8" uptravel), roll center of 21" and roll axis of -6.30 degrees. Axle separation is 11.5" and frame separation is 8.5". All the link bolts are 9/16" Grade 12 fine thread with pinch-lock nuts.

The tabs are 1/8" plate laminated in 1/4". There will be a 1.5" .250 wall DOM truss plated on both sides spanning from the inner C's to the link tower. The 2.5" double ended ram will be behind the axle under the upper links and in front of the crank pulley.

Attachments

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Looking forward to seeing this... Awesome placement :smokin:
I ran the same setup on my TJ, it was nice not ever worrying about hitting the steering on rocks

21 - 40 of 750 Posts