Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 750 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
ok i have to ask does anybody else think it is completely stupid and gay to have a project called BENZ buggy and the only thing from a benz is a grill from a sl500 ???? it would be cool if you have mog axles or a benz engine and tranny but just a grill makes this build really GAY

·
Registered
841 Posts
If the grill is the only thing distinguishable on the vehicle I'd say it's fitting. His "Jeep" only has the hood and grill left too, why would this be any different?

·
Registered
742 Posts
ok i have to ask does anybody else think it is completely stupid and gay to have a project called BENZ buggy and the only thing from a benz is a grill from a sl500 ???? it would be cool if you have mog axles or a benz engine and tranny but just a grill makes this build really GAY
No, its just you.....

Just like "Liberty" buggies... Do they have to use parts from Jeep Libertys to have a Liberty theme? No, they dont and he can call this whatever he wants.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
who are you? He can call it whatever the hell he wants to.

personally, I would have named it "03dodgeoffroad is a fuckass"

I love slinky, I can't wait to see this one. Sick work as always kirby

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Build looks good, been looking forward to this since I saw your TJ was for sale. Surprised it's not gone yet considering the size of your TJ mall crawler fanclub :flipoff2:

Not really, my buggy has a narrowed YJ hood and grille and those are the only Jeep parts on it, the rest is Chevy. It's like in Nascar they're not really Toyota Corolla's just pretending to be.

On the topic of the Benz drivetrain, I'd love to see someone throw a 273/ZF 7 spd auto or even an older 113/5 spd into a buggy. Those engines are light and compact, all aluminum and have a pretty flat power band. I'm sure there's tuners in Europe that could tune the Bosch ME to run standalone without the CAN or emissions controls, and from what I remember from working on them the harnesses and fuel systems are not much different than Gen III GM. The only tricky part would be adapting an Atlas, those parts would have to be one-off but again not impossible. The 163 ML's even used Borg Warner transfer cases like the Fords with the same push-button wiper motor shift mechanism

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
:laughing:

that's probably the most ignorant comment I've heard in a while.

I guess I should have named it "project: ls1nv4500atlas3.0chevy14boltfordhp60andasl500grill buggy" :shaking: :flipoff2:

Build looks good, been looking forward to this since I saw your TJ was for sale. Surprised it's not gone yet considering the size of your TJ mall crawler fanclub :flipoff2:

Not really, my buggy has a narrowed YJ hood and grille and those are the only Jeep parts on it, the rest is Chevy. It's like in Nascar they're not really Toyota Corolla's just pretending to be.

On the topic of the Benz drivetrain, I'd love to see someone throw a 273/ZF 7 spd auto or even an older 113/5 spd into a buggy. Those engines are light and compact, all aluminum and have a pretty flat power band. I'm sure there's tuners in Europe that could tune the Bosch ME to run standalone without the CAN or emissions controls, and from what I remember from working on them the harnesses and fuel systems are not much different than Gen III GM. The only tricky part would be adapting an Atlas, those parts would have to be one-off but again not impossible. The 163 ML's even used Borg Warner transfer cases like the Fords with the same push-button wiper motor shift mechanism
Ha yea I figured it would sell a little faster. Good news is it may be going to a new home in Cali.

a buggy with a mercedes drivetrain would be pretty cool if you could pull it off, but I dont quite have the skills or desire for that. A grill and proven drivetrain will have to suffice :D

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Take you own advice and STFU.

PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARTE THE REASON I HATE THIS FUCKING FORUM SURE THERE ARE SOME HELPFUL PEOPLE BUT IT ONLY TAKES ONE ASSHOLE LIKE YOURSELF TO FUCK A GOOD THING UP IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE TO SAY ABOUT THE QUESTION THAT I POSTED THEN GO AHEAD BUT IF NOT SHUT THE FUCK UP AND BTW :flipoff::flipoff::flipoff::flipoff::flipoff::flipoff::flipoff::flipoff::flipoff::flipoff:

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Yeah, I got nothin to add, just posting for updates. :D

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
is there going to be a truss on your axles? if not, i see a bent short side tube in your near future.

you definitely have a way with tube, the lines are badass so far.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Am surprised to see your gearing selection. Its funny my little brother was asking how fast would Will Carter's rig go in Jelllico, i said over a 100. Well then talking to Will he said top speed was around 75. Just seems to me if your building a bad ass rig 75mph is not very fast. When i took my Rig to KOH 09 on 2.0 air shocks with a SC3.8 i could run 40-45 in whoops, then on the lake bed you were running 75 within a 100 feet on the lake bed. Seems like you would be real competitive in the whoops, woods(red lining your motor) then when u hit a gravel road, lake bed, you would give up ground to faster rigs.

Why not gear your T case more to give a awesome crawling rig, then throw it in HIGH to Haul Ass.

In my rig I run 37's, 4.10 in axle, and 4.33 in Tcase, lo range top speed [email protected] crawl ratio of 43:1. High range top speed 134 mph . the fastest my rig has ever been is 83mph but my rig is kinda a POS. If i ran 40's i would change axle gears to 4.56 and have close to the same speeds. Maybe I'm missing something gearing wise. Just wondering why only 75 top speed?
Anyways bad ass build!!!!

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Am surprised to see your gearing selection. Its funny my little brother was asking how fast would Will Carter's rig go in Jelllico, i said over a 100. Well then talking to Will he said top speed was around 75. Just seems to me if your building a bad ass rig 75mph is not very fast. When i took my Rig to KOH 09 on 2.0 air shocks with a SC3.8 i could run 40-45 in whoops, then on the lake bed you were running 75 within a 100 feet on the lake bed. Seems like you would be real competitive in the whoops, woods(red lining your motor) then when u hit a gravel road, lake bed, you would give up ground to faster rigs.

Why not gear your T case more to give a awesome crawling rig, then throw it in HIGH to Haul Ass.

In my rig I run 37's, 4.10 in axle, and 4.33 in Tcase, lo range top speed [email protected] crawl ratio of 43:1. High range top speed 134 mph . the fastest my rig has ever been is 83mph but my rig is kinda a POS. If i ran 40's i would change axle gears to 4.56 and have close to the same speeds. Maybe I'm missing something gearing wise. Just wondering why only 75 top speed?
Anyways bad ass build!!!!

Chris, I am building the rig primarily for east coast long distance racing - which I understand to have limited sections of long distance high speed (over 75 mph). I will actually have a deeper crawl ratio than I had in the TJ (78 vs. 72) and the TJ was geared plenty low for my tastes.

I plan on staying in low range for 95 - 100% of each race, which is why I want the fifth gear ratio a little higher. I do not feel the need for a deeper than 78 crawl ratio with an LS1 and 42s on an under 4K lb rig. For that 0-5% of the course I feel is long enough to justify shifting into high range for speeds over 75 mph, I'll spend the 15 seconds to slow down and shift into high. This may not be the most ideal setup there is as far as gearing is concerned, but I feel it will work nearly perfect for me under the circumstances.

Bottom line is I don't want to be shifting the case between high and low every time I switch from the rocks to gravel road/dirt/sand/faster section when I will be able to sustain 60 mph continuously in low range

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
What problems did you have with Tom's shafts? I will be running heavy wall single cardan 1350s with with hardened splines -I think they will be okay...If not I will have storage in the rig for spare front and rear shafts. The other nice thing about the 4.10's is they will keep the driveshaft RPM's down some.
How heavy tubes? I broke .188 tubes with single bounces. I broke super-duty splines, joints, and a yoke or 2. I ended up with special splines and .25 wall tubes and a 2-piece in the front. It held at that point but balancing .25 tubes didn't work well at all. Past 30-mph they would vibrate pretty bad.
________
BlackNightRose live

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
How heavy tubes? I broke .188 tubes with single bounces. I broke super-duty splines, joints, and a yoke or 2. I ended up with special splines and .25 wall tubes and a 2-piece in the front. It held at that point but balancing .25 tubes didn't work well at all. Past 30-mph they would vibrate pretty bad.
Im going with .25 wall tubes, billet yoke on the 60. Red labels are tough on shit, plus with a manual I hit the clutch most every time I come down from a bounce. Im guessing those .250 tubes were tough to balance considering the 2 piece front shaft - Im running a one piece. If anything is going to break in my drivetrain, I want it to be the driveshafts, they are easy, quick and cheap to replace plus Ill have spares in the buggy.

41 - 60 of 750 Posts