Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 565 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*NOTE* For what ever reason, the links to all my images has changed. Check out www.FBDR.net for all the photos. *

Well, it all started out simple enough. Funding for the track car dried up and I started to get antsy with nothing to wrench on. I thought to myself, "I miss wheelin. Its time to build another crawler. Ill keep it simple, cheap and small." Well, as things often go with builds, those ideas were soon tossed out the window. So here is something big, obnoxious and complicated! Project Big Ugly A 1979 chevy, 6x6.

A while back I bought the running gear of a deuce and a half 6x6 figuring I could do something with it down the road.

Then fate stumbled upon me granting me a 1979, 2wd chevy camper special. The 454 in my tow rig (1975 crewcab dually) decided to lunch itself and I needed a new engine. The 79 was a turd of a truck... with a freshly rebuild ovalport 454. I picked it up for not much coin and swapped its running guts into my dead dually. I noticed that the frame was just as thick as my dually. Hmmm. Okay. Seems that I found a willing subject for my fabrication madness.

It was quickly stripped of its bed, gas tanks, interior and about 30lbs of greasy crap that was caked in the frame and engine bay.

Now, here is something that few ill believe unless they see it. The Deuce frame is the EXACT same width as the chevy. So, the rear axles will quite literally bolt up!

DIY4x4 a-bomb front bumper. Had to drill all the mounting holes as a c20's bodymounts have a different rivet configuration than a k20.

Skyjacker 52" leafs, 2" lift for a total of 6"

Thanks to RuffStuff and their rockwell swap kit, this was an absolute snap.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
With the added application of an unholy use of the sawzall, 6" of lift is plenty of clearance for the 46" meats.

ORD engine crossmember. Which, by the way wont bolt right up as the 2wd stock crossmember bolt holes are different than a 4x4's crossmember. No biggy, just worth noting.

Rear axle mount that im working on. Cut from 1/4" plate. Its not done. There will be much bracing involved here. Currently its just a rolling chassis. Ill complete fabrication on these tomorrow.

And how she sits as of an hour ago.

Going back in is another 454 as I cant seem to get my grubby hands on a cummins. Trans is a 4l80E from a motorhome. Currently, plans are to save up and get an atlas for gear splitting. ARB lockers in all 3 axles and rear cutting brakes. With any luck, she will be done before the last of the snow is off of the Rubicon. :)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This thing is gonna be badass. What are you planning to do behind the cab? Bed of some sort?
Flatbed with tool boxes, integrated seats similar to a troop transport *cauz you gotta bring your friends* Winch and a detachable a-frame for vehicle recovery outings.
The plan is to make this sorta a swiss army knife of trucks. It will be medium duty tow rig, a chase truck / recovery vehicle, one hell of a trail truck and my daily driver.
With the gear reduction of the axles, tire size and the overdrive, it will be like having 4.56 gears on a stock tire and axle. As it is, with the rockwells, I can grab the yoke by hand and rotate the tires and move the axle on the ground with little effort. Aside from the rotational inertia of the tires themselves, i have a feeling that the truck will barely notice the size change in the meats. It will just feel like im hauling something in the bed, with the additional vehicle weight. Well, enough chitchat. Time to get back in the shop and get to fabbin.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HOLY CRAP! That's bad ass! It reminds me of an American version of a 6x6 Trials Truck.
When I started building this, quite afew people told me that I was nuts and it would never work. Im a fan of the truck trials, and know for a fact that it does work! The combination of the short wheelbase with the fore axle mixed with long wheelbase with the aft, should make this capable of tight trails and an excellent hillclimber. I look forward to its shakedown run. I have a few knarly trails in mind already. :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Have to agree with everyone this thing is gunna be sweet! So it looks like you plan on keeping the rear leaf springs from the deuce and a half for your rear axles, and concerns on ride quality with those leaf packs? Or do they ride pretty smooth even when supporting a lighter rig like your Chevy? I see you have lots of plans for the truck usage which I can see the heavier leaf pack coming into play in some of those useages but a normal day out on the trail they seem a little much.
Keep up the good work can't wait to see more!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Have to agree with everyone this thing is gunna be sweet! So it looks like you plan on keeping the rear leaf springs from the deuce and a half for your rear axles, and concerns on ride quality with those leaf packs?
She will never see the sort of payload that a Deuce had. Though oddly enough, just flexing in the shop with a floor jack *yeah i know..* the walkingbeam suspension is rather flexy, even in stock configuration. But flex and ride comfort are two completely different things. Ill be removing 6 leafs from the pack. Bringing it down to just 4 leafs. Which is to the first spring clamp on the pack. This should put me in the range of a 3/4 ton rating. With the weight of the bed and toolboxes, it will be fine. I dont want to go less than that as the leafs actually control lateral movement like a panard bar. So in affect, they are a suspension link as well as the spring. And with a truck this gawd damn heavy, last thing I want to do is make something weaker.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
very cool build.

Dang I have been looking for a set of stock deuce tires and rims like that for rollers for my rig, but I can't seem to find any up here in Washington.

1 - 20 of 565 Posts