Pirate 4x4 banner

181 - 200 of 658 Posts

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
I liked the clamps they made for the hoses. I'm going to have to remember to pick up some material to make those. I hate poorly secured plumbing and electrical.

One thing I found funny, or maybe I'm more hack than them, was making the little threaded blocks to bolt the P-clamps to and how much time that must have taken. I just take a 3/16 bolt (more specifically an AN3-3A, the C variant if I'm being really fancy) and weld the head onto whatever to leave a stud for P/DG clamps. Studs are nicer for clamps, IMHO, although those plastic P clamps are easy to install either way.

·
Registered
13,571 Posts
From the first page or so, I gather I'm going to regret opening this thread :laughing:
Their attention to detail is unreal, which makes for a long time between episodes. Several times in this one he tells how many hours it actually took for him to accomplish the piece that looks simple, but took 5 hours to engineer and build

·
Registered
13,571 Posts
I liked the clamps they made for the hoses. I'm going to have to remember to pick up some material to make those. I hate poorly secured plumbing and electrical.

One thing I found funny, or maybe I'm more hack than them, was making the little threaded blocks to bolt the P-clamps to and how much time that must have taken. I just take a 3/16 bolt (more specifically an AN3-3A, the C variant if I'm being really fancy) and weld the head onto whatever to leave a stud for P/DG clamps. Studs are nicer for clamps, IMHO, although those plastic P clamps are easy to install either way.
LOL I agree, but then I have read they have a much tougher time getting inspections to be legal

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
also this thing is basically a full race car build.

so I'm sure a healthy amount of overengineering comes from the plan to beat on it doing rally stages.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Watched all of the episodes over the past couple days. I am most impressed by the amount of time that they are willing to spend on it. His overall skills and tools seem relatively modest. He is just willing to spend a ton of time to each task.

I am not at all impressed by welding the steering arm to the strut. That whole strut can peel apart IMO. I am assuming those struts are not the replaceable cartridge type, so why on earth would they spend to spend that time and effort building from a part that certainly appears worn out anyways?

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Watched all of the episodes over the past couple days. I am most impressed by the amount of time that they are willing to spend on it. His overall skills and tools seem relatively modest. He is just willing to spend a ton of time to each task.

I am not at all impressed by welding the steering arm to the strut. That whole strut can peel apart IMO. I am assuming those struts are not the replaceable cartridge type, so why on earth would they spend to spend that time and effort building from a part that certainly appears worn out anyways?

The steering is just mocked up. He explained that if the geometry works once they get it moving, they will tear back into it and build it properly.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
look up struts for a '91 toy celica, 4wd

note how there is no spring bucket
they're cartridge struts

·
Registered
13,571 Posts
I watch these all and get lots of chuckles but at the rate they are building they may be too old to race it when it's done.
The guy who does the narration wife had twins a year ago, so it should be ready by the time they are old enough to race! :flipoff2:

181 - 200 of 658 Posts