Pirate 4x4 banner

401 - 420 of 658 Posts

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
If you use them in a hand drill, they have a tendency to wonder. Of course they usually use a drill press. I do like the way you can debur the hole with the next size.
They don't wander if you know the feel, or even better, you can control the wander to recenter.

Yes, rotabroach might get you a couple thou tighter if you need it, but they won't let you start with an already fucked hole... And in aviation, it seems we're always starting with an already fucked hole.

And yeah, I used them in place of a deburring tool a lot of the time.

·
Premium Member
9,391 Posts
If you use them in a hand drill, they have a tendency to wonder. Of course they usually use a drill press. I do like the way you can debur the hole with the next size.
Drill a small pilot hole, or a good punch dimple, will not wander if you let the bit cut and don't force it.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Drill a small pilot hole, or a good punch dimple, will not wander if you let the bit cut and don't force it.
Center drill FTW, but I don't find that they wander too much anyway.
I always punch and pilot hole first. They wonder as they are drilling. Each time they jump to the next size, they can move over some. Normally, it's a random thing so the final hole is not far from the beginning. But of course if it "randomly" jumps to the left every jump, you could be off. Don't worry, it only does that when the placement is really critical.

Dirty Comaniche, how do you guide the wonder? Just pull left or right? Or do you lean the drill?

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
IIRC they have discussed why the step bits are the best in a previous episode.

sure seemed a lot of trouble to go to to get a radio in a car, but I guess you do it now or you regret it forever.

this thing is definitely an opus.

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
Dirty Comaniche, how do you guide the wonder? Just pull left or right? Or do you lean the drill?
Pull it square sideways... But not really in the exact direction you want to go, since it's going to bite and pull itself. :laughing:

Don't do it on hard/thick materials because it doesn't work that way, but sheet aluminum it's easy enough. You just have to try it a bit to get a feel of what it will do.

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
The HU extension cord was the obvious and easy answer IMO. I feel they were likely somewhat restrained by some common sense at alpine.
I don't know why that isn't just an off the shelf part. Low profile head unit meant to fit somewhere else (who the fuck uses optical media now anyway), an extension cord, and a faceplate that isn't a gay disco lightshow... I'd buy that, lots of guys with old shit that can't fit something normal sized would buy that. It would be easy for them to offer a few different shapes/colours/configurations of faceplates for it too then.

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
The HU extension cord was the obvious and easy answer IMO. I feel they were likely somewhat restrained by some common sense at alpine.
I think that's exactly the solution they were going to come up with actually.

and they were just going to buy two radios to get the parts to do it until someone at alpine was like "We can just get you those parts"
which seems incredibly cool of the alpine people BTW.

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
I think that's exactly the solution they were going to come up with actually.

and they were just going to buy two radios to get the parts to do it until someone at alpine was like "We can just get you those parts"
which seems incredibly cool of the alpine people BTW.
For $15 in shitty Chinese parts they just managed to directly inject a warm fuzzy Alpine into the heads of several hundred thousand people, which will likely be a few million in only a couple years.

Cool, sure, good business move, more so.

·
Registered
13,571 Posts
I have to wonder what the custom one off radiator and fans will look like.
He modified the radiator in todays video and used the single electric fan they go from one of their sponsors, but you know Nik next video he may have decided he doesn't like it and build his own.

I watch a husband and wife build a wooden sail boat (Salt and tar) in Cal. the video they put up yesterday was done back in November, so who knows how far along they really are, if you don't follow them on the book of faces

·
Registered
13,571 Posts
How did you like Nik showing up on camera with sunglasses on?

Does anybody else wander what the back story is on the burned up chair?

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,255 Posts
He modified the radiator in todays video and used the single electric fan they go from one of their sponsors, but you know Nik next video he may have decided he doesn't like it and build his own.

I watch a husband and wife build a wooden sail boat (Salt and tar) in Cal. the video they put up yesterday was done back in November, so who knows how far along they really are, if you don't follow them on the book of faces
I saw. I was commenting that I wonder what the re-do will look like. :laughing:

401 - 420 of 658 Posts