Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The conversion you linked is really nice except for the RV door in place of the original door, which is completely unacceptable for visibility reasons. Buses have ridiculous blind spots to begin with and there's no way he can decently see to the right with that door. Combined with the lack of hood mirrors he's probably tried to change lanes into a car next to him more than once. If you're going to add an RV door you should put it farther back on the body... the way RVs do it.
I am kind of on the fence on this, I originally thought the same thing but a friend of mine recently got himself a Pusher Class A and it has the door in the same spot.

Random internet picture for reference:

I think the key is to remove the smoked glass from the RV door and put in conventional glass and LEARN to use the mirror's religiously.

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
I am kind of on the fence on this, I originally thought the same thing but a friend of mine recently got himself a Pusher Class A and it has the door in the same spot.

Random internet picture for reference:

I think the key is to remove the smoked glass from the RV door and put in conventional glass and LEARN to use the mirror's religiously.
You can also get small cameras to mount on the sides and in the rear to provide extra insurance with blindspots.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Im gonna get fawked up in your bus and you can get fawked up in my International. Cross border ******* Canadian/American rv'ing at its best.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
I have wanted to do a schoolie RV build forever. I'm jealous. Wanted to put a flatbed on the back for the crawler and move the rear door as an exit onto the bed. Then I could flat bed a rig and pull another buddy's rig on my current trailer and split diesel cost. Even losing 18' feet out back there would still be plenty of interior space for a sweet RV set up.

Bonus points if you grab a set of 5 ton rocks or similar and make a 4x4 or 6x6 schoolie. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Im gonna get fawked up in your bus and you can get fawked up in my International. Cross border ******* Canadian/American rv'ing at its best.
It's a date!

Wait A Minute! That sounds gay! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The pusher in the pic doesn't have good sight lines down low but at least you'd be able to see traffic coming from the right, unlike the bus with the RV door. With the width of the bus body I often have to look out the window behind the door, too.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
OK, According to the ownership, Registered Gross Weight is 12,466 kg = 27,425 lbs

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I'll be watching this thread also! Of course, I'm kinda of biased. Here's my build.
http://www.4x4syndicate.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1915
Mines still not done, going on 2 years of working on it, but we do use it though. All I can say is it takes alot longer and alot more money then you plan on from the beginning. But I would do it again.
You did a really nice job on yours. Skoolie.net is a website for school bus camper conversion guys, some are really nice ones, some not so nice. But its a good place to get some ideas.

·
Registered
12,882 Posts
I was lusting after a built skoolie 20 some years ago. I had figured out how I was going to buy it. Then we got laid off 2 more weeks and it would have been mine!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Any updates?

Nat
Picked up a Camper Trailer for free yesterday. Has a Fridge/Stove/Toilet etc. So just collecting parts right now. I am moving in two weeks so I am keeping the bus at my Friends place until then so I do not have to move it twice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Watching this one too. My dream to buy a 40+ footer, flat front engine ,20 ' garage & .20' living area. Anyone out there got one for sale on the cdn. prairies or Montana.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nice looking skoolie...

The plaque in mine says the gvwr is 29,500 and empty it's 15,948... That was with the wheel chair lift and seats... Mine is a lot shorter than yours(26' nose to tail)...

Good luck with the conversion... I'm still working on mine, it's been slower than I had hoped(I changed my floor plan several times)... Fwiw, I would start off with holding tank placement and the toilet... You have more room than I do, but the toilet placement determined the rest of the floor plan because of how the bus was built...

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
cant wait to see the build come together, i had one that served me really well for the 3 years that i had it. im surprised more people on here arent using them because they make great cheap tow rigs that cost almost nothing to insure and register.

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,550 Posts
Watching this one too. My dream to buy a 40+ footer, flat front engine ,20 ' garage & .20' living area. Anyone out there got one for sale on the cdn. prairies or Montana.
I know of a '90 International (rounded "4700" MDT front--not flat) 68 pass with a DT360 and 5-speed in MT for $3k.

I know the owner and would have probably bought it if I didn't already have the UHaul.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
My Dad converted a Thomas about 20 years ago. It wasn't anything fancy, hence the prison inspired paint job. He ended up not doing any traveling at all, lost interest so it's now a "cabin" on our ranch.

He put a nice sized bedroom in the rear with water tank and pump under the bed. Good size bathroom after the bedroom, then your standard counter/sink/stove/fridge along one side towards the front and dinet, couch down the other.

After we moved it to the ranch we removed the fridge and put a small woodstove/chinmney in that spot.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm the guy 87mance mentioned earlier. Figured I would post up to give you some reference. Specs on the "Prison Bitch" as it is sometimes called (among other names):

1991 Blue Bird flat nose
5.9L Cummins
AT545
4.44 diff
GVWR = 30,000 lbs
66 passenger = 30 feet long

With my XJ on the trailer, it will hold 70 on a flat interstate, but it is a dog on the hills and has dropped down to 35-40 mph just on the hills in southern Indiana. I have avoided taking it south into KY and TN because of this.

This is how I currently have the interior set up. I want to keep it versatile at this point for tailgating, races, campground parties, etc., so it just has the laminate floor, a couple futons, recliner, and the back seat from a conversion van (all free). I do use the back as an open storage area for spare tires and other stuff.

21 - 40 of 111 Posts