Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 264 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided since I have some good head way on my build to start a thread since pirates been slacking :D

Build sheet
Engine: 04 lq96.0 150tunes re harness hookers shorty headers

Trans: th400

T case: atlas 4.3 pass drop

Axles: dana 60 Detroit 5:3814 bolt Arb 5:38

Tires:37 Pit bull rockers Hutchison double beadlocks

Shocks: Bilstien remote res coulovers 15" front 17" rear, fox bumps

iphone 283.jpg

iphone 316.jpg

iphone 341.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok so taking a step back to the frame. The rise part took several attempts to find that sweet spot and it still wasn't enough in the end even thought I made it higher then a stock frame and I used 2x3 on the front half.

iphone 288.jpg

At first I went with a 45 degree angle that would mean running less then half the grille and no front rad. Which would work for someone going that route. but I didn't really want to cut too much off the grille and run rad up front.

iphone 291.jpg

So I redid it to like a 22 degree angle.

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm watching, and props for "ain't no body got time to unload the truck to pull the engine!"

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Hahaha! ain't no body got time for that!

I don't have room for shit laying around scrapped the truck the next weekend.
iphone 397.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I started this build the summer of 2014 Im not in any rush to finish it since I have my other jeep to play with

89 yj that was left to me after my friend Will pasted away
its a simple build and my DD
stock springs just spring over
1 tons Detroits 5:13s
37s on double beadlocks
4.2 with a 4.0 head and fuel injection
ax15 with a dana 300 behind it
I build the cage and suspension seats
iphone 021.jpg

iphone 108.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Started with building a chassis table and making the frame true and square witch is made out of 2x4 1/4''
Came out really close so I started messing with a way to mount the body or what is left of it :laughing:
frame Is pretty close to a stock yj specs that's what I was shooting
for and trying to keep it race legal
IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

I made this wood jig to hold the strap steel witch will bolt to the rockers and hold the skins on but I was tring to make it look like the are just rocker protection. This way it looks kinda street legal

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1085.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
figured out the rocker area and ended up dropping it down more on the frame
then continued onto the rest of the front half of the frame with 2x3 should hae just went tubing for clearance issues but the box is easier to work with and mount a steering box too.

iphone 311.jpg

iphone 312.jpg

iphone 313.jpg

iphone 340.jpg

iphone 383.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know bout you but I'm not like my pitbull rockers they just get packed up with mud and clay.
I had rockers on my last rig and loved them , they work great in the terrain we wheel mostly rock with mud in between . Always out performed the tsl and iroks but I have mtrs on my dd and they suck going to PBRs when they wear out.

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
frame side link mount took a lot of planning and time but I had an idea and wanted it as strong as possible. I hate seeing link mounts with a big gap in the middle they just get hung up on everything and look last minute welded on the bottom of the frame

iphone 001.jpg
put all 4 plates on a wood base so I could drill all the holes at once and just clamp it in the Bridgeport worked well.
iphone 029.jpg

iphone 023.jpg

Upper mounts were drilled through the frame so I could get them in the right spot and all. these took some patience should have done the rails in the Bridgeport before welding them in. but this way worked okay there strong double shear.

iphone 023 (2).jpg

·
Premium Member
4,407 Posts
Well damn brother.. Thats looking good. I may have to get to fixing on my rig and use it

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well damn brother.. Thats looking good. I may have to get to fixing on my rig and use it
Thanks man its come a long way I hope to have it done by spring. So you need to get yours back on the trails.

Alex

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
Build looks good. I like how you kept the outer tub skin and scrapped the floors. Link subframe looks good too. I don't know why more guys don't build link mounts like that. Makes for a nice deep subframe and a flat belly to slide on.

Where in NJ are you? Surprising that you like the pitbulls so much. I wheel on private land in North NJ with a local group, one on 43" sx stickies, a couple street driven TJ's on radial m/t tires, me and one other on bfg reds, and a few guys on pitbulls. We've all noticed that the pitbulls seem to have the least traction of all the 37"+ tires in our group.

Looking forward to watching this build!

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks I lost a shit load of pictures when my laptop broke.
I'm in central nj Piscataway
I had the 39.5 pitbulls in my last rig and they always seemed to perform we'll when everyone with super swampers in my group struggled. I hope the 37s work I planed racing stock mod that's the reason for 37 and a steering box. I'll see how they do I can alway sip them or go 40s if they don't work.

1 - 20 of 264 Posts