Pirate 4x4 banner

141 - 160 of 190 Posts

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Worked on the passenger header tonight. Got it all tacked up. Need to get the collectors on and the v-bands then TIG them out! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel in this header escapade...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I kind of like the bracing you came up with on the old shock hoops! :) .. Headers turned out great, keep the updates coming.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Cut the headers to equal lengths and tacked the lower two collectors on. Also started on one of the down pipes. Didn’t want to go too far cause I was waiting for some v-band clamps. They were delivered by the time I got home from work so I should be able to get those on soon.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
You're at the point where you could turn those into 180* headers and make it sound wicked. Runs good that way too.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
You're at the point where you could turn those into 180* headers and make it sound wicked. Runs good that way too.
It will be 270 degree headers. In order to have true 4-1, the packaging was gonna be super difficult and removing them without taking the body off was going to be impossible. I was definitely going for 180 to start. Should still sound wicked and it will gain some hp also.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
I was looking at my headers and somehow managed to flip cylinders 6 and 8 tubes so I had to rework things. Took a couple hours and turned out pretty nice. The collectors will be pretty interesting. Also decided while the engine is out to build an engine cradle and make sure everything is super square before I build off of it. I also high lined the hood even further in preparation for fenders eventually. And introducing Bennett, my new shop pal.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
I was looking at how the liftgate lined up with the tailgate and hated how it didn't line up with the body very well, so I used pretty much every clamp in the shop as well as a ratchet strap to make sure the hard top lined up perfectly with the body. Once the top was lined up with the body, the tailgate came into position just fine. Now that it's all clamped perfectly, I'll drill new bolt holes between the two to keep it in position. The shop is an absolute mess since we are wiring it all and setting it up for business so the Crapmando (as well as every other flat surface has turned into a storage area for random parts and pieces.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I've been slowly accumulating alot of different parts. I decided I wasn't really happy with how the tailgate used to latch, so I'm going to retro fit a first gen Bronco tailgate latch onto the outside. I also got some more parts for the exhaust that should get it back behind the tcase, before the mufflers. Somewhere along the line I got a great idea that my wife surprisingly agreed with. I'm getting rid of the junkyard axles and going with Trailgear Rock Assault Nine housings, Wilwood 6 piston calipers and vented rotors, and I'm going to fab my own knuckles. Hopefully I can get the axles ordered soon.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Finally got the axles ordered and they showed up within 4 business days. I was pretty stoked with the turnaround time and when they showed up I was very impressed with their packaging. They had all of the axles (my boss and some customers also ordered a couple) on a pallet and then cyran wrapped all together. None of the packaging was damaged and when I opened the boxes, all the axles were suspended inside to avoid getting jostled. To say they look sick is an understatement. The craftsmanship on these is amazing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
So. I cut the Artec truss apart and didn’t like how it looked so I abandoned it. Don’t even have any pictures of what it looked like I disliked it that much. So I started measuring everything up to make my own. Figured out the profile of the Rock Assault 9 and made up a little stand to keep the axle level at all times. Finally got around to gusseting the pan hard mount also.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Appreciate the update! Love following along with this build, keep it up!!

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Appreciate the update! Love following along with this build, keep it up!!
Agreed. I want to see it finished. Should be really cool.
Thanks guys! I have steel ordered to hopefully get all the new brackets cut out for the new axles. I'm also hoping (fingers crossed) to convince my wife to let me order some bypass shocks here pretty soon to make sure everything fits when the new axles go in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree on the quality of the trail gear housings. I bought the front and rear rollers for mine. Are you doing front and rear or just rear. Noticed the other set of bearing pockets.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Don't know if its too late, but seeing how you have the tubes routed have you thought about 180 degree headers? I dont think it would take too much change from what you have already. That would be pretty slick if you did. Would sound bad ass too. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Don't know if its too late, but seeing how you have the tubes routed have you thought about 180 degree headers? I dont think it would take too much change from what you have already. That would be pretty slick if you did. Would sound bad ass too. Just a thought.
I agree on the quality of the trail gear housings. I bought the front and rear rollers for mine. Are you doing front and rear or just rear. Noticed the other set of bearing pockets.
I’m using a trail gear housing for the front as well, but I’m building my own knuckles using the trail gear bearing pocket. I’m gonna be doing 270 degree headers. Similar to 180 but will go 4-2-crossover-1 packaging and serviceability later will be way easier. It’ll sound very similar and have about the same performance gains, just a little less tubing.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Got the backbone truss cut out and tacked up. Just need to trim a little and it’ll be ready to weld on. Really makes this Trail Gear housing look beefy!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Just a quick note....
Check the fit of the thirds in the housings asap.
Love this build.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Started welding up the truss after getting the back plate cut and fit. Also got the upper and lower links cut out and tacked on. The Trail Gear Nine was a light housing. Still is but noticeably beefier.

Attachments

141 - 160 of 190 Posts