Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 432 Posts

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introducing my junk! I started with it stock. Bought a 4 cylinder wrangler back in Ott3. Started building it in Ott4 and ended up with this in Ott5.

You can read what's up with that hunk here.

http://www.thedoubleduke.com/103.htm

I stripped almost everything. Leaving the seats and what nots. Replaced all my armor and started over. The 4 cylinder just wasn't cutting it. 4cyl, ax5, 231, to 4.88s?? Yea it sucked! So I ended up with this worthless piece of tub again and started my new list.

I called up BTF and got some new stuff on the way. Armor, new bumper, grill stuff. I picked up a 14 bolt rear(now equipped with BTF disk brakes) Chevy D60 front, and my new drive train.

Sorry for the crappy camera phone pic. Only had the engine for a couple days.

I'm in the process of ripping out my 4 cylinder this weekend and hopefully get the LT1 stuffed in place. Sticking with the 4l60e via Art Carr shifter, and running a cable shifted Dana 300.

This is where my junk sits now. 105" WB, no tranny, no brakes, chocks, and a weed eater.

The 14bolt is stuffed under the rear and the disc brakes are installed. I shaved the rear diff like this and going to match the BTF diff cover.

Just trying to catch up on my installs since a couple people have requested it. I will post more as I go along. :)

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I run with a couple leaf sprung rear rigs. That's what started my first stretch. I'm really happy with the way they work for the types of terrain I wheel and my wheeling style. They add tons of stability over coils and I'm going with it unless it doesn't work the same as it did. :)

I'm running a stock XJ leaf pack with an RE AAL. They flex well, ride well on road, and are very predictable. I'm going with coilovers in the front this time.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
what wheels are those? i really like the look of em

looks good, keep us updated

·
Registered
37 Posts
always loved your rig...cant wait to see it when its done

really would love more info on your rear suspension set-up

and ummm...if your selling any parts...let me know

thanks

Chris

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will take some detailed pics of the rear suspension setup and how I did it all. It was cheap and fairly simple. :)

I still have my old axles for sale. They would be bolt in ready for a TJ wanting to do the rear leafs and my 4cylinder axle is up for grabs in case anybody wanted to make a gokart or something :D

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got my 4 cylinder pulled. Even taped all the connections. :eek:

More pics tonight :)

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Working on it tomorrow to figure out what needs to stay in the stock harness. Pulling everything and using the computer/harness that came with the vehicle. Wiring up a whole new dash too once I get my manuals for the LT1.

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
alright got to some more non tech stuff. I decided I was going to learn how to paint so I bought a gun and read some stuff. Started sanding today with 320 grit and the D/A. Got my junk all smoothed out!

After fixing a spot in my hood from trail damage I shot my first coat of primer. I'm really pleased for my first attempt at a semi-pro HVLP Harbor Freight gun.

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea. My windshield is cracked up pretty bad so it is getting replaced. I sure wasn't about to tape it off.

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am using a 1 stage urathane that has base and clear in it. If it isn't shiney enough I can always run more clear over it. I have less than 300 in all my painting supplies for a finished product. I just looked up the name and it is gunmetal pearl which is supposed to be some factory color but I can't find which manufacturer uses it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey Mvd, Thats a pretty good looking rig I saw it oh I dunno about a month or two ago I was out seeing Dirk and picking up a new ps pump from him, I bought his old p-pump off him, I'm excited to see your build up on the board, I'm on a Tj build myself but it's got it's differences, one of these days if I ever get mine done I may come out there and wheel with you guys, btw it's nice to see some ppl around that know how to build sh!t, the guys at the other place off road *@*@*!!!* shop aren't really my favs sometimes I wonder if they know what 4-wheeling is, anyways nice work so far Hope to see ya driving around in sometime in the somewhat near future maybe on the trails I'll be the Tj on the huuuge tires :smokin:

keep up the good work
-Kenny

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Kenny. Sorry I missed you the day you were at the shop. Don't be a stranger!:cool2:

I got my first coat down tonight. I was getting toooo much paint so I backed it off and it got much better. Going to sand down my runs tomorrow and hit coat 2 and 3. Hard to tell the color in the dark. I will take better pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I dont know much about paint, but wouldnt it make more sense to remove the parts bafore you spray. Like the door, rocker guards, tube bumper????

1 - 20 of 432 Posts