Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been beatin on my toy for a while now, and while it still has a lot of life left, its time for a new rig. I have 2 boys now, 2 and 3 years old. So, its time for a 4 seater. A buddy bought some parts and a toyota that we were gonna build. We got to talking while we were getting started, and I mentioned that I needed a 4 seater. Long story, but I ended up with his parts, and he ended up with my rig. It was a good deal for both of us. I was gonna part mine out ot sell it. I am pretty attached to it, so at least I know it has a good home. :grinpimp:
Heres the parts list:
Atlas 3.8 4 speed, aluminum 5.3 from an '06 truck, th400 art car manual VB.
60/14 with 5.13s, arbs, chromos in front, rear is shaved, front has the pinion turned up. Built by John Sumner at Sumner Machine Works, (formerly of wagoner machine.
PSC full hydro
42" TSLs for now off of my old rig
double tri 4 link rear with balistic joints both ends. 3 link with P/H front with balistic joints at the axle, and bushings at the frame.

Oh....and most importantly, so I stick to my yota roots, a fiberglass FJ 40 hood and grill. Dont know who made it, got it off of ebay.

I have been working on it for 8 months or so, but Im just now getting around to taking pics and posting them. I hate the build threads that drag out for ever.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I started by building a frame from 2X4. I had a tub that I was gonna run, but decided, fook it, Im going all tube. But I had already built the frame, so I decided to use it, and build the chassis on it. Plus I wanted to leave door openings, and I think the full frame will help give it more structure. Im sure some will say I have went a little over board on the tube, but Im hauling my kids, so...... I still have a few pieces to put in. I need to tie the B and C pillars into the frame. Most of the tube is 1.75 X .120 DOM, but there is some 1.5 X .120 also.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I wanted to run the FJ clip. But, since its a family rig, and I needed the room, I wanted the buggy to be a little wider than the FJ cowl would alow. So, I split the hood, and hinged it in the middle to widen it. The filler piece in the middle is 1/8" X 1" square tube, and is tied back throgh the cowl to the console, so it helps give the chassis more structure. Plus, it protects the engine. Im not loving the hinges. I spent half a day fabbing some hidden ones that didnt work. So I went to atwoods and got these. I think they will look Ok when they are painted.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Atlas 4 speed and console. Still gotta skin it. The square pieces of sheet metal where the dash goes will be trimmed off. They are part of the cowl.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rear suspension. BTF truss. Shock mounts with pinned tow attachments.
Modified Roark Fab atlas support ring.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Front suspension and steering mount. Top link mount needs beefed up. Its a cut down balistic mount. I moved recently, so I had to hurry and get it where I could put it on a trailer. Thats also why its so rusty. I had to leave it out on the trailer overnight, and it dewed heavily. I made the truss, cause BTF was having problems with the company that does their cutting.
Oh, the tirod is just there to move it around, and get it on the trailer. It will have a DE ram.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the rear link mount piece that goes throught the frame made at a local machine shop. Its threaded, and the link bolt goes into it. I used a mag drill and a hole saw throught the frame to get the holes in the same spot and true on both sides. This gets the link mounts in, so they dont rub the tires, plus, they dont hang down below the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks good. I like the "doors".
Thanks. Doors were a must for me, as much as I am in and out on the trail. If you follow the tube that starts at the rear of the door opening in front of the B pillar, it is continuous all the way around to the other side. That bend was quite a challenge. It is seemed in the back. But, it was still 6 bends 2 of which were in a different plane. Bend tech was a lifesaver on that one.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cowl. 16 gauge doubled up on the sides so it wont bend.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fuel cell and rear winch mount. There will be some storage above the winch, with a trunk lid. Winch is an old rep 8000 we had laying around. Its pretty light with the cable off of it. I will run rope on both winches

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried, and the hood would hit the center piece when I opened it. If you look, there are some notches on the pass side hood where the hinges mount. Thats where I tried to put the hinges on the bottom side. Now I have to patch that somehow. I also tried fabbing some hidden hinges, and that didnt work either. I dont love the hinges, but they arent too bad. I think they will look better when they are pained to match the rig. I was just tired of messing with them and wanted to move on.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Looks good partner. Git R Done so we can wheel fawker :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Dont ever quote Larry the cable guy in my thread again you fukin redneck!! Besides, I think done is spelled dun. Ive been burning vacation days like crazy. The irony is, when I get finished, I wont have any vacation left to go anywhere. I do have 5 weeks this year:flipoff2:
Memorial day!!! with or without you.

·
Registered
703 Posts
George,

Good to see this finally posted, quite a bit of progress since I seen it.

Looking good, can't wait to hook up & wheel with you again.

Now get it finished:D

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks good!

Question... Is the fuel cell going to be welded in? Doesnt appear that theres any way to remove it if you had to.

AARON
It mounts through the bottom. There will be an angle iron frame under it, that bolts in. It will have 1/4" rubber b/w all of the angle and the cell. The cell barely wouldnt fit through the top. Thats what you get when you go off of the measurements summit shows, and put the tube in before you actually have the cell. Its about 3/8" wider than they list on their site. It will be a kindof a pain to take out, but not too bad.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
George,

Good to see this finally posted, quite a bit of progress since I seen it.

Looking good, can't wait to hook up & wheel with you again.

Now get it finished:D
I hope to have a shakedown in april sometime. You got memorial plans?

Im getting pretty burned out, but I want to go wheelin so bad it keeps me motivated. I wish I still had my old rig, so I could get my fix. You guys makin any progress?

1 - 20 of 107 Posts